Page 71 of 183 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121171 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 2736

I wonder if this element of Spock's past could be a Strange New Worlds plotline:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Leila_Kalomi

Kind of depends when SNW will take place, the Discovery episodes with Pike and Spock took place around 2258 while Spock and Leila's romance was around 2261 (Still when he was with Pike, Kirk didn't take command until four years later).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Star Trek: Prodigy?
    Yes, the animated Star Trek show set to debut on Nickelodeon. It is intentionally aiming to attract the 6-12yr old crowd.

It has been in the works for nearly 1.5yrs.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Yes, the animated Star Trek show set to debut on Nickelodeon. It is intentionally aiming to attract the 6-12yr old crowd.

It has been in the works for nearly 1.5yrs.
    Oh no. Star Trek was the one series I could count on not to go the "appeal to kids" route.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Oh no. Star Trek was the one series I could count on not to go the "appeal to kids" route.
    Why not? I think Trek embodies a lot of great concepts that kids *should* be exposed to.

I suspect you may be concerned they'll "dumb it down" for a younger audience...? If so, I share the same concern - but for now I'm hoping it's smart enough to also appeal to adults.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Can't dumb the series down anymore than Lower Decks according to a segment of the fandom.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

What did you think the point of Wesley was?

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    "And the Children Shall Lead" is my mom's favorite Star Trek anything.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Star Trek: TAS. Prodigy isn't even the first Trek cartoon show aimed at kids.

(waits for the "well adults liked it/it was an all ages show" counter, to which I'd respond, Prodigy aims to do that, too. Hence the return of Janeway.)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Why not? I think Trek embodies a lot of great concepts that kids *should* be exposed to.

I suspect you may be concerned they'll "dumb it down" for a younger audience...? If so, I share the same concern - but for now I'm hoping it's smart enough to also appeal to adults.
    That's my concern. Kids can watch the series. I did when I was a kid and that's how I'm a fan now. I'm just saying making it only for kids doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    To appeal to teens on a show mainly appealing to adults otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post

(waits for the "well adults liked it/it was an all ages show" counter, to which I'd respond, Prodigy aims to do that, too. Hence the return of Janeway.)
    Janeway is back? Since when did she appeal to any demographic?

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

ST:The Animated Series of the 70s...was that not targeted for kids? I don't know when it aired but I got to think it was afternoons or Saturday.

DS9's whole Jake/Nog arc was all about making sure the series had an access point for tweens/HS of the time.
    As noted there was Wesley Crusher on TNG.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Can't dumb the series down anymore than Lower Decks according to a segment of the fandom.
    I had low expectations for it when it debuted. Still haven't gotten to S2 yet but will. I'll say that the intentional crass isn't my favorite but again, I understand they are trying to attract the 15-25yr old crowd who loves Rick/Morty or even Spongebob(which for a kids show was it's own type of crass, I think Ren&Stimpy but I digress)
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

That's my concern. Kids can watch the series. I did when I was a kid and that's how I'm a fan now. I'm just saying making it only for kids doesn't work.

To appeal to teens on a show mainly appealing to adults otherwise

Janeway is back? Since when did she appeal to any demographic?
    Veteran Trekkies, in this case, and likely now their children as well.

Plus, I really would not underestimate the Internet's love of Janeway. That's a huge reason why Mulgrew was invited back to the franchise, just like Stewart, Frakes, Sirtis, Spiner, and Ryan.

There's coffee in that nebula.

I'd also be remiss if I didn't point that for Trek shows where the captain is the central character, the captain becomes very influential, almost like a role model. It's a big reason why Sisko and Janeway were cast the way they were and the positive effects can't be understated. Same reason why Kirk and Picard resonate with audiences, too -- the Captain's strengths are on full display, and that earned Janeway a lot of fans just like the other captains.
    Last edited by Cyke; 08-27-2021 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    They were both Cold War Soviet proxies, and TOS was a lot less about military adventure than the franchise became over time. I seem to remember reading somewhere that there weren't originally supposed to be Klingons, but Romulan makeup was too expensive.
    The Romulans represented the Soviets, while the Klingons were alien Mongols. The Dothraki on Game of Thrones were that show's Klingons.

Extraordinary Member

I'm pretty sure Star Trek: TAS was scheduled as a Saturday Morning Cartoon. Those were aimed at kids by definition.

Sounds like a good idea. If I'm being honest I can't help but feel that Discovery beat them to the punch when it came to making Star Trek into a CW show, but at least the immaturity and crazy emotional outburst won't be as out of place.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    ST:The Animated Series of the 70s...was that not targeted for kids? I don't know when it aired but I got to think it was afternoons or Saturday.

DS9's whole Jake/Nog arc was all about making sure the series had an access point for tweens/HS of the time.
    As noted there was Wesley Crusher on TNG.
    I think it's good to have a mix of ages. Not just appealing to adults or kids, but both. I didn't watch all of tAS but I'm not sure what it's target demographic was

Veteran Trekkies, in this case, and likely now their children as well.

Plus, I really would not underestimate the Internet's love of Janeway. That's a huge reason why Mulgrew was invited back to the franchise, just like Stewart, Frakes, Sirtis, Spiner, and Ryan.

There's coffee in that nebula.

I'd also be remiss if I didn't point that for Trek shows where the captain is the central character, the captain becomes very influential, almost like a role model. It's a big reason why Sisko and Janeway were cast the way they were and the positive effects can't be understated. Same reason why Kirk and Picard resonate with audiences, too -- the Captain's strengths are on full display, and that earned Janeway a lot of fans just like the other captains.
    I'm being semi facetious but I always assumed Janeway was the least liked captain.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    The Romulans represented the Soviets, while the Klingons were alien Mongols. The Dothraki on Game of Thrones were that show's Klingons.
    I never understood Klingon = Mongolina, especially during the Cold War. Mongolians don't have dark brown skin and big beards and mustaches from what I've seen
    Last edited by CosmiComic; 08-27-2021 at 10:32 AM.