Page 72 of 183 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682122172 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 2736

One of the early concepts of TAS was for the original crew to train a younger crew of teens. Funny thing is that idea sounds similar to one of TWOK's plot threads.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    What did you think the point of Wesley was?
    In a fanzine published during S1 of TNG, Frakes said Picard, Riker and Wesley were supposed to be the same character at different ages, coming from three different origins stories. The conceit just didn't work in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    In a fanzine published during S1 of TNG, Frakes said Picard, Riker and Wesley were supposed to be the same character at different ages, coming from three different origins stories. The conceit just didn't work in practice.
    That's pretty high concept sci-fi.

Not quite the same but I'm reminded of Data in 'We'll Always Have Paris'...
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Ultimate Member

As in the same person, or the same type of person?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    As in the same person, or the same type of person?
    The same type of person. IIRC (mind you, this is 33 years ago), he said "the same person", but it seemed clear he was talking as an actor about his meta-sense of the characters. Don't blame anybody wanting clarification, given that we're talking Sci-Fi on a comics site

Riker does seem to be a bit less Kirk-like and more stern as he ages. Funny thing is, Picard eventually loosens up as he grows older too.

There's sort of a fan rumor, or perhaps dropped plotline, that Picard is actually Wesley's real father, but there never seems to be any confirmation of this; although they were attracted to each other even before the Enterprise, I don't recall anything in TNG about that relationship being consumated at any point.

Ultimate Member

The same type of person. IIRC (mind you, this is 33 years ago), he said "the same person", but it seemed clear he was talking as an actor about his meta-sense of the characters. Don't blame anybody wanting clarification, given that we're talking Sci-Fi on a comics site
    Ok

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Riker does seem to be a bit less Kirk-like and more stern as he ages. Funny thing is, Picard eventually loosens up as he grows older too.

There's sort of a fan rumor, or perhaps dropped plotline, that Picard is actually Wesley's real father, but there never seems to be any confirmation of this; although they were attracted to each other even before the Enterprise, I don't recall anything in TNG about that relationship being consumated at any point.
    I've heard that Picard was intended to be Wesley's dad but it was never written that way

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I've always liked that fan rumor, and although never official it seemed plausible not only given the relationship with Crusher but also how in the episode where Q takes Picard back to his days at the Academy and the actor who played the young Picard kind of looked like Wesley. I think that's where it kind of clicked for me, and my love of Usagi Yojimbo just made it seem like an even better idea.

I think the episode where they both share telepathic abilities (Attached) Crusher was like "Why did you never tell me?" and Picard said he never acted on it either, so it's doubtful there was an intimate relationship.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I think the episode where they both share telepathic abilities (Attached) Crusher was like "Why did you never tell me?" and Picard said he never acted on it either, so it's doubtful there was an intimate relationship.
    Yeah, I certainly don't think it was ever actually intended to be done but it felt right so my head canon definitely leans that way.

Boisterously Confused

I just can't imagine the producers of TNG having the guts for that.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

What do you all think that Roddenberry would think of things like Section 31 or Insurrection? Concepts that portray the Federation as less than noble?
    Assassinate Putin!

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    What do you all think that Roddenberry would think of things like Section 31 or Insurrection? Concepts that portray the Federation as less than noble?
    Pretty much every Admiral or Commodore we saw in TOS was shown to be less than desirable, the meaning of which I always took to mean "question authority", or the very least "don't take orders on blind faith".

So on the surface, I'm not sure Roddenberry would be as opposed to ideas like Section 31 as we might assume. However what we got was much darker than I think he would have been comfortable with, given his mindset in the 90's.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member

The opening credits for Star Trek: Prodigy:

https://youtu.be/Bm9Zv8D70hA

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Many of the stories Roddenberry was involved in included rogue Starfleet officers, but not fleetwide shadow agencies or conspiracies. I don't think he would be pleased by that. The whole idea of Star Trek was that modern human problems were explored through the lens of alien worlds. Showing human problems by showing humans haven't evolved past their baser behaviors kind defeats the point.