Page 8 of 183 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994 View Post
    They may find a broader audience if they branch away from "to boldly go" and switch to more tried and true genres set in the Trek Universe. For example, we could have a medical show, or a police show, or a spy show, etc.

It is not my ideal solution to the dearth of Trek shows but if it is the only way we can get Trek back on TV for the foreseeable future, then I am all for it.
    I think Doctor Who proves there still a lot of mileage out of the ''To Boldly go'' premise. Doctor Who is basically ''say the date and place and let's see what's over there.'' Space is huge, there are a ton of amazing stories there, You just need great characters people can latch on to and interesting stories with stakes that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994
    They may find a broader audience if they branch away from "to boldly go" and switch to more tried and true genres set in the Trek Universe. For example, we could have a medical show, or a police show, or a spy show, etc.
    They were able to get a broader audience with "to boldly go." The whole "exploring new worlds" and "seeking out new life-forms" thing was really just an excuse created by Roddenberry & the gang to have a starship out there in the first place, but it was actually used to tell a wide variety of stories. TOS and TNG weren't limited to new alien stories, they had medical story episodes, police procedural-type episodes, spy episodes, and even humorous episodes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    I think Doctor Who proves there still a lot of mileage out of the ''To Boldly go'' premise. Doctor Who is basically ''say the date and place and let's see what's over there.'' Space is huge, there are a ton of amazing stories there, You just need great characters people can latch on to and interesting stories with stakes that matter.
    I totally agree. I think VOY and ENT kind of limited themselves by sticking mostly to meeting new alien stories with formulaic A-plot/B-plot scripts and characters defined more by their jobs than their personalities, but they also may have suffered by coming out too soon on the heels of TNG and DS9 (which ended up kinda lost in the crowd of Trek shows, IMO).
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpOck View Post
    Watch the Mr. Plinkett review of the film. He hits it right on the nose. It's on RedLetterMedia.com and Red Letter Media's YouTube channel.
    I prefer the SF Debris reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    I prefer the SF Debris reviews.
    I haven't seen them.
    Formerly Doctor Malekith.

BANNED

I haven't seen them.
    They're awesome.

BANNED

Yeah, SF Debris reviews are pretty good. Some of his jokes fall flat on their ass but his analysis is always astounding. Good stuff.

BANNED

i'm pretty sure Robert Orci wants to direct Star Trek 3 is because of this:

http://www.slashfilm.com/roberto-orc...aters-fck-off/

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post
    i'm pretty sure Robert Orci wants to direct Star Trek 3 is because of this:

http://www.slashfilm.com/roberto-orc...aters-fck-off/
    I can't believe that Roberto Orci is directing Star Trek 3. Hell, I can't believe they approved his script for Into Darkness.

His bad attitude is just one of the reasons he shouldn't be involved with the next Star Trek. A lot of bad movies do well at the box office and Into Darkness is one of them. They need to find a writer who is also a fan of the original series.

BANNED

You know, listening to him in the Mission Log Podcast, he seems like he wasn't that bad, Star Trek wise. He might be good...

https://soundcloud.com/missionlogs/m...plemental-star

I can't believe that Roberto Orci is directing Star Trek 3. Hell, I can't believe they approved his script for Into Darkness.
    It wasn't entirely his (it was really a collaboration with fellow screenwriter Alex Kurtzman, producer Damon Lindelof, and of course Abrams). In fact, the idea of using Khan wasn't his, but Lindelof's. Lindelof was determined to have Khan in the movie, while Orci was inclined towards an original villain.

Orci: “[Damon Lindelof] argued for Khan from the beginning and I argued against it...”
    A compromise was reached in which Orci and Kurtzman wrote a story without Khan and then had to find a way to put him in at Lindelof's insistence.
    http://www.trektoday.com/content/201...rtain-villain/
    Last edited by Cel; 05-14-2014 at 08:15 PM. Reason: added link
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

I have a theory and wonder what you guys think.

As a kid the first Star Trek I had ever seen was the original series. My dad was a big fan and we watched the reruns in the early eighty's. When TNG came out in the late eighty's I watched it and liked it. My favorite has always been the original series and their movies. What I am curious about is if I had seen TNG first and then at a later time been introduced to the original series would my favorite be TNG instead?

What do you guys think? What Star Trek did you watch first and which is you favorite? Do you think the order in which you saw them has any bearing on what your favorite is?

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    It wasn't entirely his (it was really a collaboration with fellow screenwriter Alex Kurtzman, producer Damon Lindelof, and of course Abrams). In fact, the idea of using Khan wasn't his, but Lindelof's. Lindelof was determined to have Khan in the movie, while Orci was inclined towards an original villain.

Orci: “[Damon Lindelof] argued for Khan from the beginning and I argued against it...”
    A compromise was reached in which Orci and Kurtzman wrote a story without Khan and then had to find a way to put him in at Lindelof's insistence.
    http://www.trektoday.com/content/201...rtain-villain/
    Thanks for the information. Maybe Lindelof and Kurtzman are holding him back. That at least makes me a little more optimistic about Star Trek 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Cometman View Post

As a kid the first Star Trek I had ever seen was the original series. My dad was a big fan and we watched the reruns in the early eighty's. When TNG came out in the late eighty's I watched it and liked it. My favorite has always been the original series and their movies. What I am curious about is if I had seen TNG first and then at a later time been introduced to the original series would my favorite be TNG instead?

What do you guys think? What Star Trek did you watch first and which is you favorite? Do you think the order in which you saw them has any bearing on what your favorite is?
    That can be the case, but its not always true. I started with TNG, but my favorite is DS9. But I do have extremely fond memories of TNG.
    Life is but a dream

Quote Originally Posted by Cometman View Post

I watched TOS first, and, even though I think both TOS and TNG are untouchable, DS9 is my favorite. I would love all of those shows no matter what time and order they came in.