Page 83 of 183 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793133 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 2736
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Um, how's it great? Pike was good and the time crystals were an interesting concept but Control was too much of a generic AI and the time travel was inconsistent.
    Let's start there. Pike was good.
    Good since Pike is in every episode and had lots of great scenes that ups every episode.
    I enjoyed the Spock story and the journey of taking him to a point we first see him, clean shaven, with Pikes TOS crew.
    We got little of her but RR's #1 showed much promise and I so look forward to Strange New Worlds

Time Travel as inconsistent: Really, like when is it ever really consistent on any show or film. It can be picked apart if you dwell on it long enough.

I like how after the conclusion of S1 with Lorca gone the crew is suddenly rudderless. Many thinking Saru would get the, at minimum, field position of Captain. Saru had been my favorite character of S1 so I enjoyed his growth in S2.

Watching Georgiou trying to manipulate and control her situations was fun. She is after all in exile and this season was her trying to adapt as a "stranger in a strange land". I liked her departure in S3 in that it hopefully sets up a good start for her Section 31 show.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Just saw Prodigy, the beginning felt like an episode of clone wars, but when they found the ship that's when it felt a little like Star trek.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Let's start there. Pike was good.
    Good since Pike is in every episode and had lots of great scenes that ups every episode.
    I enjoyed the Spock story and the journey of taking him to a point we first see him, clean shaven, with Pikes TOS crew.
    We got little of her but RR's #1 showed much promise and I so look forward to Strange New Worlds

Time Travel as inconsistent: Really, like when is it ever really consistent on any show or film. It can be picked apart if you dwell on it long enough.

I like how after the conclusion of S1 with Lorca gone the crew is suddenly rudderless. Many thinking Saru would get the, at minimum, field position of Captain. Saru had been my favorite character of S1 so I enjoyed his growth in S2.

Watching Georgiou trying to manipulate and control her situations was fun. She is after all in exile and this season was her trying to adapt as a "stranger in a strange land". I liked her departure in S3 in that it hopefully sets up a good start for her Section 31 show.
    Spock was ok but Discovery's attempt to force some awkward pseudo-sibling connection to Michael limited how much I could enjoy him.

And you're right about time travel often being inconsistent but at least it can be entertaining. But the whole "It's all about Michael" business once again gets tired.

I didn't understand control either. What exactly was its aim?

Saru didn't really get enough attention and neither did most of the rest of the crew.

I didn't mind bringing Dr. Culber back, though

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

^^^^
    RE: Control
    Granted, I've not re-watched any season or episode but here is my recollection of Control boiled down to one word....Skynet
    Control was created by Section 31 as a defensive AI weapon that turned on Starfleet. It was going to travel backward in time and wipe out Starfleet? That's the big part I get hazy on.

Moving on though I watched the 2-part Star Trek Prodigy premiere, Lost & Found pts1&2(released together, which I didn't know).
    I like the CGI animation more than I'd thought. That style has come a long way.

Dal looks to be a fun character, lots to explore about him and frankly all the kids. His species is unknown so that will be interesting to explore.
    Gwyn is going to be the "can we or can't we trust her" character on the ship.
    Jankom's Tellarite look appears to be tamed down a lot from the usual "pig snout" type look.

Where exactly are we? What Quadrant? Clearly how the ship got there is a mystery to be explored but somehow the Diviner knew to be looking on that asteroid.
    The show starts with an exchange with a Kazon so do we border the Delta Quadrant? Has Starfleet developed or incorporated limited ways to travel that far? So many questions.

I grade the opener a solid: B/B+ grade
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    ^^^^
    RE: Control
    Granted, I've not re-watched any season or episode but here is my recollection of Control boiled down to one word....Skynet
    Control was created by Section 31 as a defensive AI weapon that turned on Starfleet. It was going to travel backward in time and wipe out Starfleet? That's the big part I get hazy on.
    That confused me as well.

First off, let me say the storyline was lacking. Now, as I understand it...

Control tried to absorb the Sphere data so it could become sentient earlier and 'wipe out all organic life in the galaxy' sooner than it did in the future. The best parallel I can draw is Admiral Janeway going back in time to get Voyager home sooner... but Future Control should have been able to just overwrite its younger self or just download the sentience subroutines/algorithms into Past Control.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    First off, let me say the storyline was lacking. Now, as I understand it...

Control tried to absorb the Sphere data so it could become sentient earlier and 'wipe out all organic life in the galaxy' sooner than it did in the future. The best parallel I can draw is Admiral Janeway going back in time to get Voyager home sooner... but Future Control should have been able to just overwrite its younger self or just download the sentience subroutines/algorithms into Past Control.
    Ok. It's still a little confusing, plus it's a bit underdeveloped beyond a skynet type villain

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    but Future Control should have been able to just overwrite its younger self or just download the sentience subroutines/algorithms into Past Control.
    Presumably, since future Control only found its way into the past once, it never had the chance to.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    RIP Kai Opaka.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Having watched the Kelvinverse films I'm kind of curious why Transwarp beaming doesn't seem to show up in Picard or Discovery's future. While in the KV it's sort of implied Starfleet kept it a secret, I think it's kind of implied that Scotty Prime probably refined it as some point after being rescued in "Relics". Maybe Prime Starfleet did the same thing with Scotty Prime but Scotty let his old crewmate in on it.

Also watching "Beyond" wonder if they could somehow use Edison/Krall in the Prime universe, given that his problems started before Nero's incursions. Of course the building of the Yorktown base possibly wouldn't have happened without the incursion either (It's been mentioned that some of the advanced tech in the Kelvinverse is due in part to what Starfleet learned from studying records of Nero's ship).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 11-03-2021 at 07:48 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Having watched the Kelvinverse films I'm kind of curious why Transwarp beaming doesn't seem to show up in Picard or Discovery's future. While in the KV it's sort of implied Starfleet kept it a secret, I think it's kind of implied that Scotty Prime probably refined it as some point after being rescued in "Relics". Maybe Prime Starfleet did the same thing with Scotty Prime but Scotty let his old crewmate in on it.

Also watching "Beyond" wonder if they could somehow use Edison/Krall in the Prime universe, given that his problems started before Nero's incursions. Of course the building of the Yorktown base possibly wouldn't have happened without the incursion either (It's been mentioned that some of the advanced tech in the Kelvinverse is due in part to what Starfleet learned from studying records of Nero's ship).
    I don't think the Kelvinverse ever really thought too deeply about all that business.

I re-watched the six original cast movies. I think the Klingons are better done in the movies than on TOS. The first film bored me when I was a kid, but I like it more as an adult.

Good Trek-
    Enterprise Seasons 3 and 4
    Discovery Seasons 1 and 2
    The Original Series
    The Animated Series
    The Motion Picture 7/10
    The Wrath of Khan 9/10
    The Search For Spock 7/10
    The Voyage Home 9/10
    The Undiscovered Country 8/10

Bad Trek-
    Enterprise Seasons 1 and 2
    Discovery Season 3
    The Final Frontier 5/10

1. Spock A
    2. Kirk A
    3. Scotty B
    4. Phlox B
    5. McCoy B
    6. Trip B
    7. Archer B
    8. Sarek B
    9. Saavik B
    10. Sulu C
    11. T'Pol C
    12. Checkov C
    13. Urhura C
    14. Malcom C
    15. Hoshi C
    16. David C
    17. Amanda C
    18. Chapel D
    19. Mayweather D
    20. M'Ress D
    21. Arex D
    22. Rand F

Part of what made the Klingons work so well in the movies I think was in part due to Trek VI which took then current events and used them in Trek (Which TOS did in the 60s as well).

Praxis, for example , is pretty much a stand in for Chernobyl.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Part of what made the Klingons work so well in the movies I think was in part due to Trek VI which took then current events and used them in Trek (Which TOS did in the 60s as well).

Praxis, for example , is pretty much a stand in for Chernobyl.
    And DSC used the Klingons to comment on America in its first season.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)