Page 84 of 183 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894134 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 2736
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    And DSC used the Klingons to comment on America in its first season.
    Those were Klingons?

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Those were Klingons?
    Once they grew hair, they were.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Those were Klingons?
    Honestly, excusing the lack of hair (eventually explained in the second season) and the weird clawed fingers, I didn't think they were that far off from the ridged Klingon variants seen in the TOS movies and TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT/LDS.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

The kidney bean-shaped heads were a bit odd. Strong neck muscles on the Klingons and their actors.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Honestly, excusing the lack of hair (eventually explained in the second season) and the weird clawed fingers, I didn't think they were that far off from the ridged Klingon variants seen in the TOS movies and TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT/LDS.
    They really weren't, it was just a slightly more menacing and alien look and considering how often the look has changed it really shouldn't have bothered anyone.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    They really weren't, it was just a slightly more menacing and alien look and considering how often the look has changed it really shouldn't have bothered anyone.
    It bothered me because it was unnecessary, and it was hard to tell those were actually Klingons.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Trekkies are among the most pedantic fanbases out there, so I'm not surprised that every new show seems to bother someone in regards to the little details. However, DSC is hardly the first show to just change stuff out of artistic license (e.g. the reimagining of the Trill makeup after their first appearance and a few retcons to how the joining process works). However, the franchise has historically provided in-universe explanations for this (e.g. the Enterprise redesign for the movies was part of a refit). In the case of the Klingons, while they were redesigned several times, ENT did create a "unifying theory" to reconcile all the designs together into one system (the TOS/TAS Klingons had no ridges because of science and the different ridge looks could be considered different phenotypes). So, when DSC was made and it was decided to make a new look and treat it as if it was the way it had always been, continuity be damned, it was quite the adjustment that the franchise was no longer being made with the intent to sync up visualizations as much as possible.

Frankly, I found that the most egregious problems where behind the scenes, like how the season one bald design was made with the idea that Klingons were naturally bald and had never had hair ever (contradicting the franchise as a whole), stuff that never made it onscreen and was ignored anyways, when season two made the effort to reconcile some of the show with the rest of the franchise. I also notice that there seems to be a difference in opinion on what is canon; the people making the show seem to think that only the information is canon and that all the visuals are just artistic license (judging from different interviews on how sticking to canon was extremely important, but also essentially stating that the Disc-prise redesign retcons the TOS version as the only version that existed until the movies), while fans that are most bothered by the changes firmly believe that the visuals are also canonical information and "should" be followed.

Personally, I agree that visuals are canon (if nothing else, the franchise had always followed that rule, with DSC being the lone exception outside of the alt-universe Kelvin movies), but I also think that the point has come to accept that Star Trek canon and continuity is broken and just enjoy everything for what it is without worrying about how some pieces don't fit.

It bothered me because it was unnecessary, and it was hard to tell those were actually Klingons.
    Yeah, the ridges, classic Klingon swords, invocation of Kahless's name, and "remain Klingon" chant sure covered that up.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member

Trekkies are among the most pedantic fanbases out there, so I'm not surprised that every new show seems to bother someone in regards to the little details. However, DSC is hardly the first show to just change stuff out of artistic license (e.g. the reimagining of the Trill makeup after their first appearance and a few retcons to how the joining process works). However, the franchise has historically provided in-universe explanations for this (e.g. the Enterprise redesign for the movies was part of a refit). In the case of the Klingons, while they were redesigned several times, ENT did create a "unifying theory" to reconcile all the designs together into one system (the TOS/TAS Klingons had no ridges because of science and the different ridge looks could be considered different phenotypes). So, when DSC was made and it was decided to make a new look and treat it as if it was the way it had always been, continuity be damned, it was quite the adjustment that the franchise was no longer being made with the intent to sync up visualizations as much as possible.

Frankly, I found that the most egregious problems where behind the scenes, like how the season one bald design was made with the idea that Klingons were naturally bald and had never had hair ever (contradicting the franchise as a whole), stuff that never made it onscreen and was ignored anyways, when season two made the effort to reconcile some of the show with the rest of the franchise. I also notice that there seems to be a difference in opinion on what is canon; the people making the show seem to think that only the information is canon and that all the visuals are just artistic license (judging from different interviews on how sticking to canon was extremely important, but also essentially stating that the Disc-prise redesign retcons the TOS version as the only version that existed until the movies), while fans that are most bothered by the changes firmly believe that the visuals are also canonical information and "should" be followed.

Personally, I agree that visuals are canon (if nothing else, the franchise had always followed that rule, with DSC being the lone exception outside of the alt-universe Kelvin movies), but I also think that the point has come to accept that Star Trek canon and continuity is broken and just enjoy everything for what it is without worrying about how some pieces don't fit.

Yeah, the ridges, classic Klingon swords, invocation of Kahless's name, and "remain Klingon" chant sure covered that up.
    I know you're being sarcastic but it's hard to tell by looking at them they're Klingons

I know you're being sarcastic but it's hard to tell by looking at them they're Klingons
    I guess I didn't have the same problem when watching the show. Except for the baldness, I found it less drastic than say the Trill or how every show has a different Tellarite look. Granted, Season Two did help a lot in bridging the gap for me.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

It's worth noting that even the TMP look itself changed-if you look at TMP's Klingon scene, the ridges and hair are pretty much all the same (I kind of call them the "Wolverine Klingons" because their hair seems to be a bit like that). They also appeared like that in a lot of the merchandise at the time (Comics) In III we eventually see more diverse ridges, styles etc. Even Worf's ridges changed a bit, especially when the show changed the uniforms.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    It's worth noting that even the TMP look itself changed-if you look at TMP's Klingon scene, the ridges and hair are pretty much all the same (I kind of call them the "Wolverine Klingons" because their hair seems to be a bit like that). They also appeared like that in a lot of the merchandise at the time (Comics) In III we eventually see more diverse ridges, styles etc. Even Worf's ridges changed a bit, especially when the show changed the uniforms.
    Oh, sure. Kinda forgot about the TMP Klingons, but yeah, they didn't really reuse that look (although I think it works as another phenotype within the species). With Worf, while the makeup did change, it always looked like it was a refined version of the same thing, so that never really bothered me.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member

I don't think changes are necessarily bad. But the DSC Klingon makeup and prosthetics looked too 'heavy' to me.

Think the way they spoke was a bit different too. Same language of course but more heavily accented.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

I did think the Klingon dialogue was good, albeit different as you pointed out. The 'Remain Klingon' storyline initially interested me and had a lot of potential but then fell apart later on.

Star Trek: Prodigy has been renewed for a 2nd season.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.