Page 86 of 183 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096136 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 2736

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Don't make Riker worse!
    Both Riker and Gambit are awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Riker says that humans no longer enslave animals for food. Humans eat meat but it comes out of the replicators. Does this development make you happy?
    I'm perfectly fine with the idea of eating a meat substitute... that looks, feels, and tastes like meat.

So far 21st century humans haven't managed to accomplish this.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

There's of course that bit in Discovery season 3 where the Admiral tells Osyrra that the replicated apple she's eating is made out of poop.

Although it's unclear if that's because the Federation/Starfleet is kind of low on resources or if it's always been that way, although there's stuff in technical manuals that says basically Starfleet ships are 'closed systems' which are supposed to possibly be sustainable for months in space, so basically "always been that way", possibly.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 11-10-2021 at 01:25 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

It occurs to me that I've only seen the original star trek complete. Everything else is mostly, some, a little, or none at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    There's of course that bit in Discovery season 3 where the Admiral tells Osyrra that the replicated apple she's eating is made out of poop.

Although it's unclear if that's because the Federation/Starfleet is kind of low on resources or if it's always been that way, although there's stuff in technical manuals that says basically Starfleet ships are 'closed systems' which are supposed to possibly be sustainable for months in space, so basically "always been that way", possibly.
    The crops we eat today are also made out of poop though, we use manure as fertilizer...
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Both Riker and Gambit are awesome!
    I very much disagree. Riker is meh and Gambit is just weird and a little creepy

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Styles View Post
    Has anyone watched this? How is it?
    I have seen the premiere which is episodes 1 and 2.

It's pretty good. It has (to me anyway) a very Star Wars-y feel to it. Mining, Slavers, Alien Centric
    and a cocky protagonist who overestimates his abilities.

These are all Star Wars tropes ( at least the roguish segment of the property) so to see then here in a Star Trek show is a fun change of pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    I have seen the premiere which is episodes 1 and 2.

It's pretty good. It has (to me anyway) a very Star Wars-y feel to it. Mining, Slavers, Alien Centric
    and a cocky protagonist who overestimates his abilities.

These are all Star Wars tropes ( at least the roguish segment of the property) so to see then here in a Star Trek show is a fun change of pace.
    And don't forget General Grievous cloak, extra, limbs, expandable body and all, er, I mean the main droid henchman er I mean robot henchman.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    And don't forget General Grievous cloak, extra, limbs, expandable body and all, er, I mean the main droid henchman er I mean robot henchman.
    Yep, I immediately said out loud to my family that the guy looks like Greivous (A great character with a great design). Prodigy does give off some Star Wars vibes for sure.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

It's been in development hell for quite a while so I'm not surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Yep, I immediately said out loud to my family that the guy looks like Greivous (A great character with a great design). Prodigy does give off some Star Wars vibes for sure.
    Indeed, I half expected him to start twirling lightsabers er I mean laser swords, and talking about Jedi er I mean slave scum at any second while watching.

Plus, the big bad in his survival tank gave me serious Darth Vader on Mustafar from Rogue One vibes.

IMO, this has been modern Trek's biggest issue (and arguably failing) it wants desperately to be Star Wars; the grittier settings, the darker story tones, the action-heavy narrative, the "inspired" by character designs, the signs are all there.
    Last edited by Celgress; 11-11-2021 at 10:22 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

It's kind of been doing that since the movies. Star Trek III and V both tried to copy the Cantina scene, for example. (arguably the reboot as well).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Indeed, I half expected him to start twirling lightsabers er I mean laser swords, and talking about Jedi er I mean slave scum at any second while watching.

Plus, the big bad in his survival tank gave me serious Darth Vader on Mustafar from Rogue One vibes.

IMO, this has been modern Trek's biggest issue (and arguably failing) it wants desperately to be Star Wars; the grittier settings, the darker story tones, the action-heavy narrative, the "inspired" by character designs, the signs are all there.
    Has Star Wars ever really been that much darker, though? DS9 was relatively dark.

Otherwise I generally agree modern Trek has been more 'Wars'

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I'm perfectly fine with the idea of eating a meat substitute... that looks, feels, and tastes like meat.

So far 21st century humans haven't managed to accomplish this.
    Which brings up some questions...

1. Do vegans still exist in Trek? If you have beliefs that forbid you from eating certain foods is it okay eat replicated versions of those foods?

Also it's nice to know that four seasons in and the writers still aren't sure what they do on the ship LOL, oh Discovery....https://trekmovie.com/2021/11/08/int...very-season-4/

Here is a taste of people being confused as to what their roles are.

There’s a tradition in Star Trek: there’s always a communications officer, chief medical officer, all of that. So as of season four, can each of you say what is your position and role on the ship?

Anthony Rapp: I don’t know exactly—Paul Stamets is a commander, a senior science officer. He’s in charge of the spore drive, but it’s “all hands on deck” in terms of any kind of major scientific or sometimes engineering question that he can lend his brains and talent to.

Blu del Barrio: I think Adira is kind of a mix, but definitely a science officer. They spend most of their time in engineering as well.

Anthony Rapp: But that’s only because I’m down there.

Blu del Barrio: I think they are sort of a mixed bag of science officer on top of everything else.

Does Adira have a specific specialty?

Anthony Rapp: Super math brain and algorithm and programming stuff.

Blu del Barrio: Math and programming. And I think history. I think that there’s a very specific reason they wanted to come onto Discovery in the first place, and they had a vast knowledge of what was already on the ship, to begin with.

Wilson Cruz: Adira’s our secret weapon. For every problem that doesn’t seem solvable, we’ll just ask Adira!

Blu del Barrio: I think that’s why it’s hard to pinpoint

Yeah. It is hard to pinpoint! LOL
    Last edited by Anthony W; 11-12-2021 at 08:55 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest