Page 87 of 183 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197137 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 2736
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

^ ^ ^

Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention, but I've honestly thought Stamets was the Chief Engineer since the beginning...?

I haven't given much thought to Adira; they're a stray the crew adopted so it makes sense that they'd have no official rank/role. At least not yet.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Which brings up some questions...

1. Do vegans still exist in Trek? If you have beliefs that forbid you from eating certain foods is it okay eat replicated versions of those foods?
    The vast majority of vegans would be fine eating replicated food. They don't object to meat (or honey, milk, etc) because those things are inherently wrong, but because they exploit animals.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

So what is the current timeline for Strange New Worlds? How close is it to TOS? And what happens if it goes over?
    Assassinate Putin!

Aren't Vulcans all Vegans?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    So what is the current timeline for Strange New Worlds? How close is it to TOS? And what happens if it goes over?
    Presumably somewhere between 2258 (Discovery season 2 finale)-2265 (Kirk assumes command).

Which brings up some questions...

1. Do vegans still exist in Trek? If you have beliefs that forbid you from eating certain foods is it okay eat replicated versions of those foods?
    Suppose it would depend on the individual and what they thought. Could see some being okay if it wasn't "real" and others wanting to abstain entirely.

Also it's nice to know that four seasons in and the writers still aren't sure what they do on the ship LOL, oh Discovery....https://trekmovie.com/2021/11/08/int...very-season-4/

Here is a taste of people being confused as to what their roles are.

There’s a tradition in Star Trek: there’s always a communications officer, chief medical officer, all of that. So as of season four, can each of you say what is your position and role on the ship?

Anthony Rapp: I don’t know exactly—Paul Stamets is a commander, a senior science officer. He’s in charge of the spore drive, but it’s “all hands on deck” in terms of any kind of major scientific or sometimes engineering question that he can lend his brains and talent to.

Blu del Barrio: I think Adira is kind of a mix, but definitely a science officer. They spend most of their time in engineering as well.

Anthony Rapp: But that’s only because I’m down there.

Blu del Barrio: I think they are sort of a mixed bag of science officer on top of everything else.

Does Adira have a specific specialty?

Anthony Rapp: Super math brain and algorithm and programming stuff.

Blu del Barrio: Math and programming. And I think history. I think that there’s a very specific reason they wanted to come onto Discovery in the first place, and they had a vast knowledge of what was already on the ship, to begin with.

Wilson Cruz: Adira’s our secret weapon. For every problem that doesn’t seem solvable, we’ll just ask Adira!

Blu del Barrio: I think that’s why it’s hard to pinpoint

Yeah. It is hard to pinpoint! LOL
    So, basically just like every Star Trek show ever. C'mon, you don't have to like the show if it doesn't appeal to you, but the double standards used against it online are getting old.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

What is the difference between Kirk and Riker in terms of their personalities?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Suppose it would depend on the individual and what they thought. Could see some being okay if it wasn't "real" and others wanting to abstain entirely.

So, basically just like every Star Trek show ever. C'mon, you don't have to like the show if it doesn't appeal to you, but the double standards used against it online are getting old.
    For a good example of this think of TOS. Medical is McCoy's speciality, unless there's a plague to be cured or something then it's Spock to the rescue since he's the co Star along with Kirk.

Or how Data was kinda the generic Scientific Answer Guy without ever being Science Officer.

Or Voyager where everyone is either Science or Engineering depending on the plot except for Chakotay and Ensign Kim.
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 11-14-2021 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    For a good example of this think of TOS. Medical is McCoy's speciality, unless there's a plague to be cured or something then it's Spock to the rescue since he's the co Star along with Kirk.

Or how Data was kinda the generic Scientific Answer Guy without ever being Science Officer.

Or Voyager were everyone is either Science or Engineering depending on the plot except for Chakotay and Ensign Kim.
    Or those random TNG shows in season one where La Forge joined Worf on a security assignment or took over engineering before he was officially made chief engineer. Or how in TOS, Sulu started out as a botanist before being made a pilot. Or how in LDS, Tendi spends more time doing maintenance with Rutherford than nursing.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    What is the difference between Kirk and Riker in terms of their personalities?
    Season One Riker is based on Decker from Star Trek: The Motion Picture - as both The Motion Picture and The Next Generation were based heavily on ideas from a series Bible for a never produced series called Star Trek Continues. I might have the name of that unused series wrong (it has been a very long time since I read the article) but the parallels between Riker and Decker are obvious, down to the previous relationship with Ilea, er, Troi.
    Last edited by Gray Lensman; 11-13-2021 at 07:49 PM.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Think Riker is a bit more by-the-book than Kirk. We kind of see this with Decker a bit in TMP as well since they clash on how to handle the situation several times. However there wasn't really that much conflict between Riker and Picard because Picard was mostly by-the-book himself.

I re-watched the first season of TNG. So far. I like Picard, Riker, Data, Worf, and Dr. Crusher. Unlike other people, I am all right with Wesley Crusher. I don't like Geordi as the helmsmen, and I don't think he has a lot of development as yet. His visor is the most important thing about him. I don't like Troi's hair, clothes, and makeup. I don't care for Tasha Yar or the actress who played her. She is the Yeoman Rand of this show. Worf was under her in the chain of command, but outperformed her and got promoted to her job when she died.

Funny thing Denise was up for Troi and vice versa with Marina/Yar.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Think Riker is a bit more by-the-book than Kirk. We kind of see this with Decker a bit in TMP as well since they clash on how to handle the situation several times. However there wasn't really that much conflict between Riker and Picard because Picard was mostly by-the-book himself.
    I do think Kirk isn't as "not by the book" as pop culture claims, at least outside of the Kelvin universe

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    I do think Kirk isn't as "not by the book" as pop culture claims, at least outside of the Kelvin universe
    Depends on the plot. Kirk could go from a fly by the seat of his pants rogue to a Star Fleets word is law at the snap of a finger.

Remember The prime Directive and following the chain of command are the most important things in the world.... Until they are not!

i do enjoy that Riker was by the book and could be at times a hard ass. I also loved his Captain must stay on the bridge. But really Picard was the only one who did. I always thought it was on odd on Star Trek that pretty much every member of the command staff went into dangerous away missions.

"Where is the Captain?"

"Died on the planet."

"How about the first officer?"

"Same deal pal."

"Chief of Security?"

"Ditto!"

"Chief Medical Officer?"

"Come on man you know."

"Im guessing it would be dumb to ask about our Chief Engineer."

*Sideways Glance*

"I know I will get the Communications Officer!"

"She was the first to be blasted!"

"Why was the officer whose only job it is to sit at a desk and calls other ships planet side?"

"You got me brother."

"Who do we have left?"

"The Head Cook, and a councilor. Oh and that poor bastard that has to clean the Holodecks after the, you know sex with Holograms." (Loved that Quark didnt lie about what they were really used for)

"****!"
    Last edited by babyblob; 11-15-2021 at 08:24 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.