Page 9 of 183 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast
    Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Cometman View Post
    I have a theory and wonder what you guys think.

As a kid the first Star Trek I had ever seen was the original series. My dad was a big fan and we watched the reruns in the early eighty's. When TNG came out in the late eighty's I watched it and liked it. My favorite has always been the original series and their movies. What I am curious about is if I had seen TNG first and then at a later time been introduced to the original series would my favorite be TNG instead?

What do you guys think? What Star Trek did you watch first and which is you favorite? Do you think the order in which you saw them has any bearing on what your favorite is?
    Grew up a 'Trekkie' with Classic yet liked less than half the episodes. Kept with it because the characters were wonderful and let me not get started on the tech. Watched TNG....liked less than half the episodes...especially after the Federation conspiracy plot lines started. Fan for same reasons as Classic. Watched DS9 and loved nigh everything. Voyager and Enterprise....yawn. Gave up less than a season in. I like my space adventures to be the kind that make you want to go out there and explore...rather than the ones that make you want to shoot E.T. 'just in case' its another 'Alien'.

Star Trek appealed to me back in the 60's because it was so hopeful and at times sheer fun. (Piece of the Action/Trouble With Tribbles)
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Quote Originally Posted by SpOck View Post
    I watched TOS first, and, even though I think both TOS and TNG are untouchable, DS9 is my favorite. I would love all of those shows no matter what time and order they came in.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    That can be the case, but its not always true. I started with TNG, but my favorite is DS9. But I do have extremely fond memories of TNG.
    Interesting. The only series I am not completely familiar with is DS9. I am in the process of buying all of DS9 seasons on disc. Considering how much you guys like it I cant wait to watch it. I am sure I will like it considering I enjoy everything Star Trek. I even like the animated series. That what I started my son on. He is 7 and some of the aliens in TOS scare him. HAHA.
    Last edited by Cometman; 05-15-2014 at 03:58 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    Watched TNG....liked less than half the episodes...especially after the Federation conspiracy plot lines started.
    ...I can think of maybe 4 episodes that fit this description...

Interesting. The only series I am not completely familiar with is DS9. I am in the process of buying all of DS9 seasons on disc. Considering how much you guys like it I cant wait to watch it. I am sure I will like it considering I enjoy everything Star Trek. I even like the animated series. That what I started my son on. He is 7 and some of the aliens in TOS scare him. HAHA.
    It's totally worth it. Some people don't like the first season or two (I loved it from the start) but it definitely picks up at about season 3 or 4 (when Worf joins the cast). My favorite thing about it is how diverse the show is. There are both goofy and serious episodes. It's probably my favorite sci-fi series.
    Formerly Doctor Malekith.

What Star Trek did you watch first and which is you favorite? Do you think the order in which you saw them has any bearing on what your favorite is?
    Watched TOS in the 60's when it first aired. Also watched the Animated series. Star Trek & Batman were the first TV shows I saw in color.

Watched TNG when it first aired. Never missed an episode.

DS9 - watched 50% of them. Without the Enterprise it didn't feel like Star Trek although I liked most of the characters.

Voyager & Enterprise - I only watched a few episodes of each series. The characters didn't interest me.

TOS is still my favorite. The original TV series. The movies - both versions (original cast & new rebooted cast).

TNG is great but still lacks something that TOS had. I think the relationship between Kirk, Spock & McCoy makes up for the cheesy special effects, etc. My daughter prefers TOS for this reason. She loves the friendship between the three....
    Last edited by md62; 05-15-2014 at 06:38 PM.

What Star Trek did you watch first and which is you favorite? Do you think the order in which you saw them has any bearing on what your favorite is?
    The Star Trek I watched first was the Next Generation. After that I would sometimes watch the original series, and also watched Enterprise. And then the two recent movies in 2009 and Into Darkness.

My favorite is the Next Generation. I like the story and the characters more than any of the others.

In my head, I've always still thought of TNG as 'new' Star Trek - Cos, for me, being born in the early 70's, that's exactly what it was when it first premièred (on home rental video, here in the UK!)

It only occurred to me the other day that The Next Generation is (considerably) older now than The Original Series was when TNG started. So for anyone under the age of 20, TNG is essentially what TOS was to me.

Looking for a Star Trek comic recommendation. I know this thread is for TV and film but I didn't want to ask the same question in three different areas of the forum considering Star Trek comics were done by marvel, DC, and independents.

I just finished collecting all of the issues for the first monthly (TOS) series by DC. While I am reading those I would like to start collecting issues for another Star Trek comic. I don't care if its Voyager, TNG, DS9 etc. Anyone have a recommendation for a monthly series you have read. Thanks.

BANNED

DS9 took a couple of seasons to get going but once the dominion & the founder storyline comes along , it got really good with the dominon war which took over the seasons and lasted all the way to the end. It moved from an episodic format to a serialized format as the federation go into war with the dominion and arguably the largest space battles seen in star trek happened on this show. It even had a fun crossover episode with the original TOS.

Last edited by marshal99; 05-17-2014 at 08:34 PM.

DC had a second TOS mostly movie-era series that had better art than the original but was somewhat more limited in it's storytelling due to Paramount getting more strict with Trek merchandise around that time.

Wildstorm had a brief run of Trek limited series that I thought were OK, they actually are among the few Star Trek comics to tie in somewhat with the continuity of the novels (Specifically the DS9 'relaunch' series which added some new crew members, as well as Peter David's "New Frontier").

BANNED

Which on was the Nog at the Academy series? That ties into the Titan books.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arundel Armor Hunter View Post
    Which on was the Nog at the Academy series? That ties into the Titan books.
    Was it the paramount marvel star trek one ?

Marvel had a brief run at publishing star trek comics

Starfleet academy (19 issues)
    Startrek : Early voyages (17 issues)
    Startrek Unlimited (10 issues)

They also had the 2 x-men crossover - star trek/x-men and then star trek : TNG/x-men which spin off into a novel.

It was quite interesting that the star trek license also went to different companies - DC had TOS & TNG (before marvel took over the license), Malibu had DS9. Both companies team up to produce a TNG/DS9 crossover which never happened on the shows.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    Whatever happened to the actress who played Ro Laren? I haven't heard anything about her since she left TNG. Does she even do conventions?
    Also the voice of Circe, in DC Online. (I love that woman's voice, but she hams it up something fierce as Circe!)

If she had agreed to be the Bajoran crossover character in Deep Space 9, we wouldn't have had Kira Nerys (the Bajoran) *or* Chief O'Brian (the crossover Next Gen 'bridge' character). On the one hand, I ended up loving Kira, but, gosh, I could have done without O'Brian and his family drama...

DS9, definitely the best, 'though! Followed by Enterprise, I think. Next Gen was great, at the time, but has not aged well (although some later episodes, like Lower Decks and The Inner Light, still impress after all these years). Voyager was meh. And the original Star Trek, some great, some just fond rosy-colored nostalgia, some embarrassingly bad.

Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994 View Post
    They may find a broader audience if they branch away from "to boldly go" and switch to more tried and true genres set in the Trek Universe. For example, we could have a medical show, or a police show, or a spy show, etc.

It is not my ideal solution to the dearth of Trek shows but if it is the only way we can get Trek back on TV for the foreseeable future, then I am all for it.
    I think a Star Fleet Academy show, with cadets going through their four years, would be a different perspective, and have some of the advantage of DS9, of a static area to explore and develop, and not a new sector of space every episode, with all new background characters and environments to distract from a single ongoing narrative.

But I'm bored with crews consisting of 5-7 humans and a token alien or two. Mix it up! Defy expectations! (A T'Pelite Vulcan, from a culture that has rejected the teachings of Surak and is all hyper-competitive and aggressive? A Klingon teen who left the Empire because anyone isn't a manly warrior man is treated like crap (like pretty much all non-male Klingons and / or Ferengi), and she wants to be a doctor?)
    Last edited by Sutekh; 05-18-2014 at 11:14 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    Was it the paramount marvel star trek one ?

This one.

||||||||||

The greatest thing about Star Trek: Starfleet Academy was that--with the exception of Nog--it featured original characters that weren't bound by a TV series or movie series. Main characters could be written out/killed off at any time and replaced with new ones if a story demanded it (and that did actually happen to one character during its run). I've really been wanting another Trek comic book series like that (with original comic book-only characters and a status quo that could change at any moment) ever since Starfleet Academy ended.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1