Page 97 of 183 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107147 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 2736

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I notice no one here is commenting on the revision of social issues on Discovery. I mean, the final episode of TOS, Turnabout Intruder, sort of established that women were not yet allowed to be promoted to the rank of captain, yet we see that's clearly not true from the first episode of Discovery. Doesn't bother me at all, but I wonder if it bothers anyone else, but they're afraid of being called sexist for mentioning it?
    It was a single line from a delusional, disgruntled woman. Easy to recognize it as factually incorrect,
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    It was a single line from a delusional, disgruntled woman. Easy to recognize it as factually incorrect,
    It wasn't factually incorrect, it's just another element that should tell you not to take it too seriously and enjoy it as something of its time.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It wasn't factually incorrect, it's just another element that should tell you not to take it too seriously and enjoy it as something of its time.
    There's nothing else that establishes it, and subsequent material even with the TOS cast shows it is not the case.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Ultimate Member

While I'm as critical of DSC revisionism as ever, I don't think being beholden to an outdated aesthetic is a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I notice no one here is commenting on the revision of social issues on Discovery. I mean, the final episode of TOS, Turnabout Intruder, sort of established that women were not yet allowed to be promoted to the rank of captain, yet we see that's clearly not true from the first episode of Discovery. Doesn't bother me at all, but I wonder if it bothers anyone else, but they're afraid of being called sexist for mentioning it?
    I don't think it actually states women can't be captains in Starfleet in that episode, please correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe it is implied but if it is I honestly never noticed. The episode is sexist I'll admit but it is so silly it never offended me that much. I will say it is my second least favorite episode of TOS after the "Mantrap" which is the polar opposite of "The Devil In The Dark" basically implying it is okay to kill another sentient lifeform if the lifeform is "dangerous" and/or strands in the way of progress.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

So how long before Strange New Worlds shows Kirk?

Discovery showed us Enterprise at the end of season one and Spock in season 2. I would like to think that ST:SNW will have more discipline but this is Kurtzman Trek and they already have Uhura on SNW. What the heck, I'll say season four. I have faith in you SNW.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Enterprise also introduced a female captain, Erika Hernandez, as the captain of Enterprise's sister ship the Columbia.

She later played a big part in the books, when it was revealed Columbia was lost during the Romulan war but wound up in some weird time travel shenanigans due to a rebellious MACO team which eventually helped create the Borg. Oops.

As for Kirk, he'll probably show up at some point, maybe if they bring in the Farragut in, although we've already passed the point where Kirk had to deal with the cloud creature. If Kirk shows up maybe they'll have him still reeling from that.

One thing they probably will do is introduce Leila from THIS SIDE OF PARADISE, who had a relationship with Spock in the time period SNW is supposed to take place. (There are some rumors about T'pring showing up as well).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 12-13-2021 at 01:29 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post

Discovery showed us Enterprise at the end of season one and Spock in season 2. I would like to think that ST:SNW will have more discipline but this is Kurtzman Trek and they already have Uhura on SNW. What the heck, I'll say season four. I have faith in you SNW.
    There are casting call (call not casting choices) rumors for Kirk already.

And there was a rumor about Kirk being in a new Academy-type show and/or in a show that turned into Prodigy but those seem to be debunked.

I think he's always going to have rumors, IMHO. It's a big character.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Wondering if it's possible we'll see others from Discovery as well who didn't take the future trip: Ash, L'rell, maybe Mudd again, Amanda and Sarek....

How is putting Kirk in the show inherently a bad thing?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Wondering if it's possible we'll see others from Discovery as well who didn't take the future trip: Ash, L'rell, maybe Mudd again,....
    I hope not.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    How is putting Kirk in the show inherently a bad thing?
    Not saying it is but....

Bones was on the first episode on TNG and did nothing substantial, more of a wink at the audience and passing of the torch. They didn't even say his name.

Sarek didn't show up until season 3

Scotty didn't show up until season 4

Spock didn't show up until season 5

It was almost as if they wanted to earn those appearances. Contrast that with modern Trek that wants to play the greatest hits immediately. Heck, Burnham was shoehorned in as Spock's sister from the word go.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

It was almost as if they wanted to earn those appearances. Contrast that with modern Trek that wants to play the greatest hits immediately. Heck, Burnham was shoehorned in as Spock's sister from the word go.
    I still don't see the problem. I mean, did DS9 have to "earn" the right to use Chief O'Brien out the gate?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Wondering if it's possible we'll see others from Discovery as well who didn't take the future trip: Ash, L'rell, maybe Mudd again, Amanda and Sarek....
    Amanda and Sarek I had already thought would be near guarantees to show up at some point.
    I'm game for for more Mudd, hadn't thought of him but I do enjoy Rainn Wilson.
    Can't say I see a reason for Ash to show up though.
    An argument could be made for L'rell though what with Federation & Klingon hostilities still a hotly contested thing in this era.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

By Kirk's time they're close to the verge of war again although the Organians push them back from the brink, so maybe something happened to inflame tensions again.

What other conflicts we see in TOS and it's movies seem to be mainly sort of a "cold war". The movies, in particular, were all pretty much all rogues (although the Klingon ambassador tried to justify Kruge's actions).

Seriously doubt they'll use Romulans except as maybe "undercover" spies in Vulcan society manipulating things. Picard and Discovery I think have them anyway.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 12-14-2021 at 10:59 AM.