Page 98 of 183 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108148 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 2736

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I still don't see the problem. I mean, did DS9 have to "earn" the right to use Chief O'Brien out the gate?
    Miles O'Brien? Who was not a member of the main cast but was built up enough over time so that the fans cared enough that he was being promoted to the main cast of DS9?

A better example would be Worf who joined the cast of DS9 in season 4.

The reason why I care about this is because it's a test of their planning and impulse control, two things that Modern Trek really struggles with.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Kind of funny how the TNG movies sort of just shoehorned him into FC and Inssurection. His FC cameo makes the most sense of course (The Defiant, after all, was meant to confront the Borg in the first place.). Nemesis didn't even bother to explain why he wasn't doing Klingon ambassador stuff and was back at Enterprise tactical. They could have explained he was only visiting for the wedding and couldn't get back to his regular post for some reason I guess? Of course they also stuck Wesley there for some reason, in Starfleet dress uniform despite not being part of starfleet anymore?

Funny thing is if you count his ST VI bit as Worf's grandfather, Dorn was in one more TREK movie than the rest of the TNG cast.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Miles O'Brien? Who was not a member of the main cast but was built up enough over time so that the fans cared enough that he was being promoted to the main cast of DS9?

A better example would be Worf who joined the cast of DS9 in season 4.
    Same difference and the point still stands.

The reason why I care about this is because it's a test of their planning and impulse control, two things that Modern Trek really struggles with.
    Which has nothing to do with the original question.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I notice no one here is commenting on the revision of social issues on Discovery. I mean, the final episode of TOS, Turnabout Intruder, sort of established that women were not yet allowed to be promoted to the rank of captain, yet we see that's clearly not true from the first episode of Discovery. Doesn't bother me at all, but I wonder if it bothers anyone else, but they're afraid of being called sexist for mentioning it?
    I actually forgot all about that. Don't think I've seen the final episode of TOS in decades.

Assuming we can trust the narrator in that moment and they're speaking truth? That's a super minor detail almost nobody will ever remember and it's for the best if it's forgotten. Not even retconned; just forgotten. We're already well past that point in today's world, it'd be franchise suicide to enforce something so ridiculous and minor.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Wondering if it's possible we'll see others from Discovery as well who didn't take the future trip: Ash, L'rell, maybe Mudd again, Amanda and Sarek....
    Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    I hope not.
    I hope so! At least in regards to Ash and L'Rell; I loved both of the characters and actors.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

There seems to be a section 31 series in development, with Yeoh as lead of course (Guess the Guardian might've sent her back to the 23rd century), although not much beyond that.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Same difference
    Actually it's not.

and the point still stands.
    Flat on its face isn't standing.

Which has nothing to do with the original question.
    Thanks for playing. Enjoy this set of Dinnerware.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Kind of funny how the TNG movies sort of just shoehorned him into FC and Inssurection. His FC cameo makes the most sense of course (The Defiant, after all, was meant to confront the Borg in the first place.). Nemesis didn't even bother to explain why he wasn't doing Klingon ambassador stuff and was back at Enterprise tactical. They could have explained he was only visiting for the wedding and couldn't get back to his regular post for some reason I guess? Of course they also stuck Wesley there for some reason, in Starfleet dress uniform despite not being part of starfleet anymore?

Funny thing is if you count his ST VI bit as Worf's grandfather, Dorn was in one more TREK movie than the rest of the TNG cast.
    I really like DS9 Worf. The character felt more secure and in control on that show. I know that he will always be a TNG character but I think DS9 suited him. Did you know that Ensign Ro was meant to be on DS9 as well but ended up being replaced by the Kira Nerys character. Kira was a great character in her own right But a part of me will always wonder what the show would have been like with Ro. Kira and Ro look alike on the surface but they are very different once you dig into them.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Not saying it is but....

Bones was on the first episode on TNG and did nothing substantial, more of a wink at the audience and passing of the torch. They didn't even say his name.

Sarek didn't show up until season 3

Scotty didn't show up until season 4

Spock didn't show up until season 5

It was almost as if they wanted to earn those appearances. Contrast that with modern Trek that wants to play the greatest hits immediately. Heck, Burnham was shoehorned in as Spock's sister from the word go.
    Season 6.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I actually forgot all about that. Don't think I've seen the final episode of TOS in decades.

Assuming we can trust the narrator in that moment and they're speaking truth? That's a super minor detail almost nobody will ever remember and it's for the best if it's forgotten. Not even retconned; just forgotten. We're already well past that point in today's world, it'd be franchise suicide to enforce something so ridiculous and minor.
    The one thing I loved about Star Trek was that everyone was equal, race, sex, it didnt matter, everyone was the same. That is at least how iit was written. Then kirk busts out with the last line of the series and I couldnt help but laugh in the WTF moments.

"Her life could have been as rich as any woman's, if only. If only." He did not say her life could have been as full as anyone's nope he said as any womans. So there was still a bit of a divide.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Did you know that Ensign Ro was meant to be on DS9 as well but ended up being replaced by the Kira Nerys character. Kira was a great character in her own right But a part of me will always wonder what the show would have been like with Ro. Kira and Ro look alike on the surface but they are very different once you dig into them.
    Not sure if this was a general inquiry or directed at someone BUT, I did know.

I've wondered on occasion what the show's dynamic would've been like and how storylines would've gone different if it had been Ro instead of Kira. The only explanation I recall that was given was that Michelle Forbes, at that moment in time, didn't want a full time character role on tv. Like Kirstie Allie she wanted to be doing Features...that didn't wholly work out. Which is why when I'd see Forbes on nuBSG and True Blood I just chuckled. You passed on a great gig but hey life and your career is about chances. Sure Things, who wants that?!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    The one thing I loved about Star Trek was that everyone was equal, race, sex, it didnt matter, everyone was the same. That is at least how iit was written. Then kirk busts out with the last line of the series and I couldnt help but laugh in the WTF moments.

"Her life could have been as rich as any woman's, if only. If only." He did not say her life could have been as full as anyone's nope he said as any womans. So there was still a bit of a divide.
    The whole 'women can't be captains' thing was always dumb. I can't even understand why it was there in the first place

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post

This may have been true in theory, but to be honest in the 60s TOS. Kirk, Spock and Mccoy were the only characters that really mattered on the show. Sulu, Chapel, Uhura, Chekov, Rand were all disposable on that show.

Trek did not start real equality of characters until TNG. In TNG at least I was convinced enough that Crusher, Troi, Guinan and Katherine Pulaski were important.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    This may have been true in theory, but to be honest in the 60s TOS. Kirk, Spock and Mccoy were the only characters that really mattered on the show. Sulu, Chapel, Uhura, Chekov, Rand were all disposable on that show.

Trek did not start real equality of characters until TNG. In TNG at least I was convinced enough that Crusher, Troi, Guinan and Katherine Pulaski were important.
    ToS had a problem with balancing the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    The whole 'women can't be captains' thing was always dumb. I can't even understand why it was there in the first place
    It was there because network executives were against it, not Roddenberry. One of the reasons the original pilot didn't sell was because network executives were convinced that viewers wouldn't accept a female first officer, much less a female captain.
    Watching television is not an activity.