Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Guardians of the Galaxy (SPOILERS)

...so far, there are a few reviews in and they seem largely positive.

Guardians of the Galaxy Reviews!

I am going by what is showing up on RT.com, of course. I will be honest, that first trailer didn't grab me like it did a lot of people. There are two friends that I hang out with often and out of the three of us, only one guy really loved it from the first trailer. He also thought X-Men: Days of Future Past was going to be awesome, while I thought it was going to be a mess.

Chime in.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Trailer certainly grabbed me, and the subsequent trailers have pulled me in. Definitely going to catch this in theaters.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

BANNED

This movie is going to do big numbers and another win for marvel. Getting a lot of hype and positivity.

BANNED

looks like this gamble is going to pay off.

Default Guardians of the Galaxy Discussion (SPOILERS)

I attended the European premiere of GotG yesterday and boy, this movie rocks.

spoilers:
    - movie opens with the death of Star-Lord's mother and his abduction by Yondu
    - the orb Star-Lord stole in the trailer contains the Space Infinity Gem
    - Ronan kills The Other, plans to use the Space Gem to annihilate the homeworld of the Nova Corps
    - several people claim to have spotted Howard the Duck as part of The Collector's collection, I can't confirm it myself because I might have missed this detail
    - Drax leads Ronan to Knowhere to take revenge on him, is utterly defeated and Ronan gets his hands on the Space Gem
    - instead of retrieving the Infinity Stone for Thanos, Ronan keeps the gem and fuses it to his hammer
    - Ronan attacks the Nova Corps on Xandar and kills a large chunk of their
    - the Nova Corps doesn't have cosmic powers, their ships are in the same shape as Nova's logo
    - Nebula escapes to take her revenge on Gamora another day
    - Groot shields the other Guardians from dying on impact when Ronan's ship comes crashing down, he is well aware that this might kill him and says: "We are Groot"
    - Ronan is actually the first to refer to the group as Guardians of the Galaxy
    - Star-Lord challenge an Infinity Gem-powered Ronan to a dance-off in order to stall him long enough for Rocket to build a gun from several pieces of scrap
    - Star-Lord, Gamora, Drax and Rocket use the power of the Space Gem to destroy Ronan
    - Star-Lord hasn't met his father yet, doesn't know he's half-Spartax
    - the Nova Corps promises to safeguard the Space Gem
    - the parting gift of Star-Lord's mother is revealed to be "Awesome Mix Vol. 2"
    - movie ends by displaying a text which reads: "The Guardians of the Galaxy will return"
    end of spoilers

Seriously, this movie is Avengers good. There is a near perfect balance between comedy, action and serious moments and this is a great addition to the MCU.

Your move, DC Entertainment.
    "Tell me there's something better. Go ahead, try."

Pre-wide release scores are typically high, lowering after wider release, with that in mind - there are a lot of critics that are scoring this film quite high. From the looks of the reviews - its going to guilty pleasure to really good flick.

Incredible Member

My dilemma is where to see the film. I am in the Los Angeles area, there are plenty of nice theaters all over, but the best screens are almost always reserved for 3d showings. I want to see it in the best quality 2d I can in the entire region, and I don't know where that is.

All-New Member

I'm invited to see a 17mins preview at the Local Imax this Saturday. I think this will be the prison scene, anything I should keep an eye out for?

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    This movie is going to do big numbers and another win for marvel. Getting a lot of hype and positivity.
    I think it seems like it will get good reviews, but I do know quite a few people who don't seem to care because it's not a known property. I do wonder exactly what kind of money it will do. I think money-wise it'll be slightly underwhelming, especially since Dawn of the Planet of the Apes did so well, that film is hard to top, and people are not as apt to see movies in August. Also Hercules is said to be not bad, and the Rock is everyone's favorite bro, so it'll have competition. I have to wonder too with Kaiju, Video Game and Post-Apocalypse films on the rise how much longer the superhero movies will be top dog.
    Last edited by ScottSummers; 07-25-2014 at 05:11 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post
    looks like this gamble is going to pay off.
    I don't see how it's a gamble.

BANNED

Well, it's not going to be out here until the 13th for whatever reason...

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I don't see how it's a gamble.
    No well known characters including a walkjng tree and a talking raccoon...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Most films have no well-known characters.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    I think it only seems like that to us, the comics readers. To The genpop "Thor", "Ironman" weren't household names either. The only risk Marvel took, for me, was not having "cosmic avengers" as GOTG's tag line.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Most films have no well-known characters.
    Ironman and thor were wll known before their movies. maybe not much was known about them but people had seen pictures/actionfigures/t-shirts/hats featuring them.