Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Ironman and thor were wll known before their movies.
    1) You may be overestimating the name recognition of these characters among people who have never read a comicbook in their lives.
    2) When I say "most movies" I mean "most movies", not "most Marvel movies". This would include films like Gravity, The Identity Thief, World War Z, Brave, and Django Unchained.

The current summer season has been described as a slump and is at an 8 year low. It is unlikely GotG will break the norm, especially since a better known TMNT movie is just around the corner.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    1) You may be overestimating the name recognition of these characters among people who have never read a comicbook in their lives.
    2) When I say "most movies" I mean "most movies", not "most Marvel movies". This would include films like Gravity, The Identity Thief, World War Z, Brave, and Django Unchained.
    B-but you don't get it! They are C-listers!
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Just a friendly reminder when starting up a thread to discuss a new film release:

NO “OFFICIAL”, “DISCUSSION”, OR “THREAD” IN THREAD TITLES

Users do not make threads official, it's obvious we're all here to discuss things, and we all know what threads are. Let’s keep redundancies and information we already know out of thread titles.
    This thread, to point out the obvious, contains spoilers. Please enter at your own risk. Feel free to make use of the spoiler tags. Thanks!

~~Gordon

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lemon Head View Post
    Seriously, this movie is Avengers good. There is a near perfect balance between comedy, action and serious moments and this is a great addition to the MCU.

Your move, DC Entertainment.
    Well this doesn't encourage me as I thought Avengers was silly and un-substantive. That being said the trailer for GotG (the one where StarLord gives the finger to the audience) pretty much implied that it's not a serious film. But I'm just wondering what kind of funny is it. Is it intelligent funny like 'Monty Python'. Or is it modern American sit com funny?

Quote Originally Posted by anilbangkok View Post
    I'm invited to see a 17mins preview at the Local Imax this Saturday. I think this will be the prison scene, anything I should keep an eye out for?
    I didn't notice any Easter Eggs during that segment, just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Well this doesn't encourage me as I thought Avengers was silly and un-substantive. That being said the trailer for GotG (the one where StarLord gives the finger to the audience) pretty much implied that it's not a serious film. But I'm just wondering what kind of funny is it. Is it intelligent funny like 'Monty Python'. Or is it modern American sit com funny?
    The humor is not as intelligent as, say, The Life of Brian, but it's definitely several notches above your typical sitcom. The movie maintains a humurous tone, with the exception of a couple of tense scenes which are supposed to keep you guessing about the characters' eventual fate. Comparing the film to Avengers, Guardians is imo sillier than Avengers. If you didn't like Avengers, there's a chance that you might not enjoy Guardians either. There are parallels between the films (in terms of having an unlikely team of heroes assemble, disassemble and reassemble just in time to thwart an invasion in the third act) but GotG is by no means a rehash.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Well, it's not going to be out here until the 13th for whatever reason...
    The official release in my country is on August 28, so yeah...

By the way, the post credits scenes were deliberately omitted from the preview version, so I don't know what they will be about. Probably Avengers: Age of Ultron.
    "Tell me there's something better. Go ahead, try."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lemon Head View Post

The humor is not as intelligent as, say, The Life of Brian, but it's definitely several notches above your typical sitcom. The movie maintains a humurous tone, with the exception of a couple of tense scenes which are supposed to keep you guessing about the characters' eventual fate. Comparing the film to Avengers, Guardians is imo sillier than Avengers. If you didn't like Avengers, there's a chance that you might not enjoy Guardians either. There are parallels between the films (in terms of having an unlikely team of heroes assemble, disassemble and reassemble just in time to thwart an invasion in the third act) but GotG is by no means a rehash.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll borrow it from the library.

Quote Originally Posted by anilbangkok View Post
    I think it only seems like that to us, the comics readers. To The genpop "Thor", "Ironman" weren't household names either. The only risk Marvel took, for me, was not having "cosmic avengers" as GOTG's tag line.
    I think people overrate how unknown they were. Thor is a Norse myth, that's pretty famous by itself without the comic. Iron Man was a decently popular cartoon most of its audience would've caught as children. And Cap had been around since the 1940s. Maybe they were Spider-Man, but people had more than a casual knowledge of who they were at least. I do think GotG will not do phenomenal numbers, but will probably be profitable and another safe win for MARVEL overall.
    Last edited by ScottSummers; 07-25-2014 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    I do notice this trend in comedy now where things are just wacky or outrageous without any attempt at subtext. Like it's just bright colors and sh**. It's funny almost because it's so overwhelming, then the novelty wears off and it can be seen for what it is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    No well known characters including a walkjng tree and a talking raccoon...
    yeah, that's what I meant.

BANNED

Yeah this is the movie that could have popped Marvel's Bubble

BANNED

I'm still not seeing how a well-made space opera that doesn't take itself too seriously, appeals to a broad audience, and has a lot of well-known people in the cast is in any way a bigger risk than Iron Man or Thor or whatever.

While it is a limited pool of reviews, I think I expected the score to be a little more modest, concerning the content. I'm not saying anything in here is any more or less over-the-top than other movies, but I dunno...I would have thought some of the critics would have issues with a walking and talking tree and a gun-toting, talking raccoon. Both in one movie. I guess making it a space action comedy helps make it easier to digest.

Whatever the case, I am very much looking forward to this.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    While it is a limited pool of reviews, I think I expected the score to be a little more modest, concerning the content. I'm not saying anything in here is any more or less over-the-top than other movies, but I dunno...I would have thought some of the critics would have issues with a walking and talking tree and a gun-toting, talking raccoon. Both in one movie. I guess making it a space action comedy helps make it easier to digest.
    Groot owns pretty much each and every scene he's in and the rest of the Guardians are adorkable as well. The synergy between these five characters is the bread and butter of the movie and the very reason it succeeds in delivering the comedy. I wouldn't know why critics would have issues with Groot or Rocket. The CGI looked quite impressive, except Thanos felt a tad off to me.
    "Tell me there's something better. Go ahead, try."

BANNED

From the reviews I have seen, they largely herald it as a 'Raiders of the Lost Ark/Star Wars' type of adventure, which is to say it keeps a good balance of action, comedy and fun.