Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    I suppose I would agree, but with the humour, team forming, tearing apart, structure, all that, mixed with the action, just feels like all three, really, and its' own beast/racoon to an extent too.

Out of curiosity, would you liken Guardians moreso to Star Wars, than John Carter?
    Yeah, I would, actually. It had that Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon feel to it, which inspired the original Star Wars film.
    John Carter I liked a great deal, but it had a 'sandal' epic feeling to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    Yeah, I would, actually. It had that Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon feel to it, which inspired the original Star Wars film.
    John Carter I liked a great deal, but it had a 'sandal' epic feeling to it.
    Alright. I would've though Carter more Roger/Gordon, but there you go.

Is it simply the way John Carter's dressed that makes you say 'sandal' epic, or all the sand, Sun, and that?

Quote Originally Posted by Post Monster View Post
    Superheroes are more than tight costumes wearing heroes beating up villains, and have been for decades. GoG is definitely a superhero film, it's just most people have very limited concepts of what superheros are.
    It's certainly a debate. I wonder if the definition of superhero is a bit outmoded. I think it's more like 'costumed heroes' (Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, Iron Man, ect.) and 'transformed heroes' and 'monster heroes,' ect. Otherwise, the definition could be stretched to include just about everything. Mythological characters, Jedi Knights... even characters like Robin Hood and Sherlock Holmes, despite lacking supernatural abilities, do possess extraordinary (but still plausible) abilities and distinctive costumes.

If I were asked what my favorite superhero is I'd have to stop and ask if they mean 'superhero' in the most traditional sense or in the broad sense. If they say traditional I'd say Plastic Man, nontraditional: Popeye or Hellboy or even Doctor Who.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Alright. I would've though Carter more Roger/Gordon, but there you go.

Is it simply the way John Carter's dressed that makes you say 'sandal' epic, or all the sand, Sun, and that?
    John Carter..it's strange..I think, yeah, the way he is captured at first, then becoming almost a slave/plaything for a tribe, the gladiator fight in the arena..the stand of Carter, where he is jumping and literally covered in the blood of the wave of enemies...yeah, just has an epic tone to it, reminiscent of those movies like Spartacus, Ben Hur, etc. Hell, even a bit of Lawrence of Arabia, especially in the scope. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    John Carter..it's strange..I think, yeah, the way he is captured at first, then becoming almost a slave/plaything for a tribe, the gladiator fight in the arena..the stand of Carter, where he is jumping and literally covered in the blood of the wave of enemies...yeah, just has an epic tone to it, reminiscent of those movies like Spartacus, Ben Hur, etc. Hell, even a bit of Lawrence of Arabia, especially in the scope. Just my opinion.
    Alright. I've never actually seen, as in at all, or in full, those films, but yeah, I get what you mean.

Thanks for that, Darrel D. Makes sense and very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Post Monster View Post
    Superheroes are more than tight costumes wearing heroes beating up villains, and have been for decades. GoG is definitely a superhero film, it's just most people have very limited concepts of what superheros are.
    Superheroes are also about origin stories, discovering powers, and dual identities (yes, even for characters who don't have secret ID's like Captain America). They are about becoming more than what they were and different in a way that allows them to overcome the villain that is a danger to innocents because they are also different and super powered/gimmicky.

While this does overlap with other non-superheroic franchises (like Star Wars), there's a lot that goes into making something distinctively in the Superhero genre. GotG is more about a diverse group of aliens who go on an adventure. Superhero elements, yes, especially Quill becoming Starlord, but it's mostly superhero in a more broad sense. If we consider Guardians of the Galaxy a superhero film then we can say the same about Star Wars or Harry Potter.

Mighty Member

What a pleasant surprise this one was! i think this one is the most fun sci-fi film of the year and my fave comic film of 2014 with X-Men second then Captain America third, Snowpiercer doesn't count as it's 2013.

Kind of reminds me of stuff like Heavy Metal, Star Wars, Star Trek, Outlaw Star etc. with great acting, writing, humor and nice direction from James Gunn. Grott and Rocket stole the show for me man, i also dug that surprise at the end credits which put a smile on my face.

Bring on the sequel!