Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Maniacal laughter and Evil monologues does the trick too.
    It's not 1945 anymore...No more Damsels tied to a train track or a lit fuse to a box labeled TNT will do the trick anymore...

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    It's not 1945 anymore...No more Damsels tied to a train track or a lit fuse to a box labeled TNT will do the trick anymore...
    How about shark infested tanks and wierd cat mascots ? Those gotta do the trick.

Just punching their heads off works fine!

(*^above death-count care of Robert Loren Fleming)

So is this Johns trying to make up for all the 90s gratuitous fridging?

Last edited by Güicho; 05-27-2020 at 06:53 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    Wally West
    Roy Harper
    Damian Wayne
    Bart Allen
    Conner Kent

The list goes on and on and on and on. Nearly every character created has been killed one time or another. Some have been killed more than once. Why? Can’t creators and editorial craft good stories without having to kill somebody? Why does that seem to be their main go-to when they have a big story to tell? Just give us a big story without sticking to anybody. Because when you kill off characters, you’re killing off interest in your brand by the fans of that character.

I’m quickly losing interest in DC.
    It has been a pet peeve for of mine for a long time. In the old days it was for profit, or to bring forth younger heroes. More recently it appears, for better or worse, as a way to bring more racial diversity into the DC universe, though a cheap profit boost appears to still be the prime motive. I've just about had everyone of my favourite male characters in DC killed off or erased at one point in time. As an older reader, I care less than what I once did, but it should be noted that at one time I was 85% DC and 15% Marvel, but today I'm about 50%/50% largely as a result of feeling alienated by DC over this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    The issue DC has it that with CERTAIN characters, they recognize how dangerous Superpowers would really be in reality. But also DC tries new characters, and the failed ones die, often.
    This is totally illogical...

Are you seriously suggestin over 80 year history of dc comics characters shouldnt die?

What about Joker's death in Tim Burtons Batman 89?

Or Penguins Death in BR

Or two faces death in Nolans the dark knight?

Or banes death in Nolans Dark Knight Rises?

The same reason tv show or movies or regular books use death is the same reason comics use death...

What of a death in an elseworld story

A mini series?

Just cause your jaded. Or a one of the hard continuity nuts doesnt mean the writers and droves of fans cant have stories that involve death, cloning, resurrection, time travel or what have you to bring back characters...

How boring would comics be if various characters werent dying...

What are the stakes if death is not on the table???

Default Why does dc like killing off characters so much?

WHY DOES DC LIKE KILLING OFF CHARACTERS SO MUCH?

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Cause of the 90's Dark-Age/Tinfoil-Age/Shock & Awe era, it's what sold the most creating the Speculator market boon: People not buying for characters, but for events, and particularly around "Death-Events".

Mid 80's Bronze Age ended with Crisis (death of Allen) 1985, and the Bronze-Age "Relevancy" taken to it's dramatic end - Watchmen, Dark Knight, where comics were now commentary on Superhero themselves, vs. Vigilantism.

What followed was the Dark Age or Shock & Awe age, the most shallow aping of those ^ books, with none of the "Relevance".
    Instead replaced by banal, shallow, cynical glorification of violence, mindlessly aping those two books with eXtreme deaths! And events.
    Death of Todd (complete with torture, a gruesome 1-(1900 #money generating number, so the "fans" could participate, and vote in the Death), Death of Superman (where it was solidified as a money generating Event), Breaking Batman, blowing up Green Arrow so Conner can take over, crippling Batgirl, Insane Jordan Killing the Corps etc... drove the industry and the creation of the speculator or tinfoil-age, as speculators started buying for supposed "key-issues" meaning anything with shocking crippling, character heal-turns, deaths, and events, they bought multiple of copies of.

Pitched marketed and sold as "Key-Issues" = "in this issue _____ is Crippled, goes Insane, Dies! ...etc! " The character or their history didn't mater, what mattered was now any mindless shocking violent, easy hook, which they bought in droves.
    As long as the same people still buzz and buy into the same crap, they will continue try to market to that same mentality, whenever they can.

Man, that picture alone basically says it all, doesn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Yay more Zoo Crew !....

Oh wait, ...noooo! https://twitter.com/TheRealMitoFox/s...71677032914946
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...Captain-Carrot

Multiverse's End one-shot features a dark fate for one of those worlds, which is home to a fan-favorite character, Captain Carrot.

Captain Carrot variant for "Dark Nights: Death Metal: Multiverse's End #1"
    ....!
    And now it's their turn...$$$!
    No character is immune, this isn't new. This is how they sell.

If you're just suddenly complaining now and didn't before, it's just cause you either turned a blind eye to it, you gladly fed into it cause your favorite (character or story arc) benefited from the other character assassinated, or they've finally come around to a character you care about, so it affects you now.

Zoo Crew has never looked better, and they now for a hot-second are a topic.
    This is how DC sees it, and functions.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-10-2020 at 09:22 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Tell that to the people complaining that movie Superman isn't enough like movie Captain America. Or all those complaining about the Titans trailer.
    To be fair, a lot of the appeal behind Cap right now is that he's rebellious good guy.

Death in long-running continuities has had its fangs removed and unless planned carefully serves as either a stunt or a waste of time. Writers should stop using death as a tactic to carry their work and start getting more creative with stakes, it's not like they don't have classic characters with a legion of fans obsessed with their feelings or anything.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I don't know about you but Batman rescuing a damsel in distress tied to a train track would be the single freshest thing in a Bat book. Hell, Batman escaping from a good old fashioned death trap would be a breath of fresh air.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I don't know about you but Batman rescuing a damsel in distress tied to a train track would be the single freshest thing in a Bat book. Hell, Batman escaping from a good old fashioned death trap would be a breath of fresh air.
    Oh yeah! Totally agree!!! I don't read super-hero comics for the bloody death scenes. I like the idea that the super-heroes are really good at what they do and everybody survives and in great shape. The evil-doers go to prison or seem to die but aren't really dead and return with their evilness for still another issue!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by captchuck View Post
    Oh yeah! Totally agree!!! I don't read super-hero comics for the bloody death scenes. I like the idea that the super-heroes are really good at what they do and everybody survives and in great shape. The evil-doers go to prison or seem to die but aren't really dead and return with their evilness for still another issue!
    you may get your wish.

I wouldn't mind a more kid-friendly approach from DC...and neither, it would seem, does TPTB at ATT/WB.

Shock value to make events seem worth it.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    To be fair, a lot of the appeal behind Cap right now is that he's rebellious good guy.
    I assure you if Superman started acting like that we'd still get complaints.

I wanted to 'like' or '+1' this post.
    So, there.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.