Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    That has to be one of the most tedious things I've ever read. Between that and the one or two Wonder Woman issues in the President Lex TPB, I now rule out anything written by Phil Jimenez.

But what do I know? I'm the one person in the world who enjoyed Cry for Justice.
    I have yet to read Cry for Justice might just read it to experience it

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    DON'T.

I re-read it a few months ago just to see if it was as bad as I remembered or if perhaps history was kinder to it.

It is awful in ways beyond comprehension. It is aggressively bad. Not in a "so bad, it's good" kind of way either. It's just "bad, bad" on every level. It's the kind of bad that compels you to keep reading because you can't understand how this story got published without someone putting a stop to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    DON'T.

I re-read it a few months ago just to see if it was as bad as I remembered or if perhaps history was kinder to it.

It is awful in ways beyond comprehension. It is aggressively bad. Not in a "so bad, it's good" kind of way either. It's just "bad, bad" on every level. It's the kind of bad that compels you to keep reading because you can't understand how this story got published without someone putting a stop to it.
    This cannot be emphasized enough.

People may have passionate reactions to Identity Crisis, but most people will agree that it was a competently assembled story, with attractive (and consistent) artwork, and moments of genuine emotion. I don't like the story at ALL, but it was (mostly) well-told.

In contrast, Cry for Justice is such a gawdawful train wreck that it makes you retroactively question whether Starman, one of the best super-hero comics of its era, was as good as you remembered. That's how bad it is. Horrible dialog, inconsistent art, fingerprints of editorial manhandling all over the place, cheap shock value deaths, characters behaving so out-of-character that you swear they're all high, completely jumbled INTERNAL continuity, and in the end it was all or nothing. Gack.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    This cannot be emphasized enough.

People may have passionate reactions to Identity Crisis, but most people will agree that it was a competently assembled story, with attractive (and consistent) artwork, and moments of genuine emotion. I don't like the story at ALL, but it was (mostly) well-told.

In contrast, Cry for Justice is such a gawdawful train wreck that it makes you retroactively question whether Starman, one of the best super-hero comics of its era, was as good as you remembered. That's how bad it is. Horrible dialog, inconsistent art, fingerprints of editorial manhandling all over the place, cheap shock value deaths, characters behaving so out-of-character that you swear they're all high, completely jumbled INTERNAL continuity, and in the end it was all or nothing. Gack.
    Yes, that dialogue. Dear lord, the dialogue.

Honestly, I don't think I will ever be able to go back and re-read Robinson's Starman run because I'm afraid that I will see hints of the writer he's become today in it. I loved that series so dearly (at a time when DC was producing almost nothing else I was enjoying) that I don't want to potentially ruin my fond memories of it.

If you haven't read James Robinson's Starman, though, I absolutely recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Even I will admit that the first two issues were bad. I really enjoyed it after that though.

I don't like the art at all though, which is kind of ironic, because that's the one thing everyone else seems to like.

Extraordinary Member

Bumping this thread since JLA is taking a respite right now.

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

My top 5 stories:
    1) JLA/JSA/All Star Squadron
    2)Lightning Saga by Brad Meltzer & Michael Turner
    3)Rock of Ages by Grant Morrison
    4)Forever Evil
    5)JLA vs Avengers

Honorably Mention: Teasdale Imperative
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by red winter View Post
    My top 5 stories:
    1) JLA/JSA/All Star Squadron
    2)Lightning Saga by Brad Meltzer & Michael Turner
    3)Rock of Ages by Grant Morrison
    4)Forever Evil
    5)JLA vs Avengers

Honorably Mention: Teasdale Imperative
    Those are some great choices. Even the Honorable Mention is a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    That has to be one of the most tedious things I've ever read. Between that and the one or two Wonder Woman issues in the President Lex TPB, I now rule out anything written by Phil Jimenez.

But what do I know? I'm the one person in the world who enjoyed Cry for Justice.
    Well, the Titans were all about Family well before Dom Toretto and his lot showed up so naturally there was going to be a lot of character moments. I remember being so moved when Dick showed up to free Donna and she was already.aware.

My Top 5 stories:

1)JLA Year One
    2) JLA New World Order
    3) JLA Incarnations
    4) JLA The Hypothetical Woman (simply because it's the only full storyline illustrated by the great Jose Luis Garcia Lopez)
    5) JLA/Avengers

It was tough to limit it to only 5, so here goes some honorary mentions: JLI: Breakdowns. JLA Destiny's Hand. JLA #200. JLA: Obsiadan Age. Justice League: A New Beggining. JLE: The Extremist Vector. JLA/Titans: The Technis Imperative.

5 Top runs:

1) Morrison
    2) Englehart
    3) Giffen / DeMatties
    4) Robinson (yeah, I liked it)
    5) Alan Davis (I'm gonna consider The Nail and Another Nail as a run, and it is one of the most perfect runs of all, surely one of the best. Since I included it here, I opened another slot at the top 5 stories, because The Nail surely belongs there.)

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 08-22-2023 at 08:16 AM.

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Top 5 stories
    Alan Davis: NAIL & Another Nail
    Grant Morrison: Rock of Ages
    Brad Meltzers Lightning Saga
    JLA/Avengers Needs a sequel immensely!!
    JLA/Titans Sequel Needed
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Name five favourite runs of the Justice League? Super easy, barely an inconvenience.

1. Mike Friedrich/Dick Dillin/Joe Giella JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA Nos. 86 - 99 (1970 - 1972). Most favourite story: "Where Strikes Demonfang?" issue 94.
    2. Gardner Fox/Mike Sekowsky/Bernard Sachs or Sid Greene THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD Nos. 28 - 30, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA Nos. 1 - 63 (1960 - 1968). Top story: "The Riddle of the Robot Justice League," issue 13.
    3. Steve Englehart/Dick Dillin/Frank McLaughline JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA Nos. 139 - 150 (1976 - 1977). Best story: "The Origin of the Justice League--Minus One," issue 144.
    4. Keith Giffen/William Messner-Loebs/Bart Sears et al JUSTICE LEAGUE EUROPE Nos. 1 - 28 (1989 - 1991). Greatest story: "No More Teachers' Dirty Looks," issue 6.
    5. Len Wein/Dick Dillin/Dick Giordano JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA Nos. 100 - 114 (1972 - 1974). Hit single story: "A Stranger Walks Among Us," issue 103.

Don't get me wrong, I also enjoyed the early JUSTICE LEAGUE issues by Giffen/DeMatteis/Maguire/Gordon--but there was something about having the Justice League in Europe and the way Bart Sears drew those issues that tickled my funny bone the most. And, of course, I liked the work by Grant Morrison and Howard Porter (with John Dell III inking) on JLA--even if I never understood what was going on--but not enough to put that in the top five.
    The humor in Giffen's run became too heavy-handed to the point of satire -- which is why people started leaving the book. But when they did serious stories -- they were excellent. I think my favorite of that era was the Extremists arc. They were never as interesting after that initial arc -- and Sears did an excellent job of redesigning those characters (borrowed from Marvel Comics).

By the time 'Bwa ha ha' was a regular thing, I knew it was time for either Giffen and DeMatteir or me to go. I left first.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Giffen/DeMatteis is the only run I really loved of the Justice League, probably cause they were more a family than a superhero team. Same reason why I always preferred Titans to JL.

Extraordinary Member

When I re-read the Giffen/DeMatteis League, I read through #40 (the Despero storyline) and then skip to Breakdowns. However, I read the entire JLE run.

I just don't care much for JLA after Booster Gold leaves and I did not care for General Glory at all.