Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Default Computer question for the experts

About a week ago my laptop stopped letting me go to some websites. It's weird. Nothing has changed. I have the same internet, same browser, same everything.

I have been using my phone more lately but it's kind of annoying not being able to access some websites that I really need to with my laptop.

Anyone have any suggestions?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    About a week ago my laptop stopped letting me go to some websites. It's weird. Nothing has changed. I have the same internet, same browser, same everything.

I have been using my phone more lately but it's kind of annoying not being able to access some websites that I really need to with my laptop.

Try another browser, see if it still happens.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

That is an indication of a worm, if you are talking about Windows. If this was the office, I would do a reinstall and issue you another laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    That is an indication of a worm, if you are talking about Windows. If this was the office, I would do a reinstall and issue you another laptop.
    True, after seeing if it is the same with another browser. Who should run a full mareware scan and HijackThis.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    True, after seeing if it is the same with another browser. Who should run a full mareware scan and HijackThis.
    It is either a worm or he is behind a firewall that has changed. It is probably A). This is usually the first sign of ransomware.... as a matter of fact. He needs to turn it off. Remove the drive and attach it to a safe OS, like Linux etc. Then mount it and back up any data they want to save. Then zero the drive altogether and reinstall.

It sucks, but that is how it is. One can try to run a virus scanner, but honestly those things are not dependable and often create a whole slew of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    It is either a worm or he is behind a firewall that has changed. It is probably A). This is usually the first sign of ransomware.... as a matter of fact. He needs to turn it off. Remove the drive and attach it to a safe OS, like Linux etc. Then mount it and back up any data they want to save. Then zero the drive altogether and reinstall.

It sucks, but that is how it is. One can try to run a virus scanner, but honestly those things are not dependable and often create a whole slew of problems.
    That is why I said he should try another browser first. Firefox sometimes decides certain sites on it's own. Clearing the cache or running CCleaner fixes it. Also I double check with Chrome and it is always the browser.

So I tried another browser and the same thing happens. I also cleaned up the laptop with CCleaner and ran a computer scan with my virus protection. Still happening. What would you guys recommend doing next? Is there anything I'm missing?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

So I tried another browser and the same thing happens. I also cleaned up the laptop with CCleaner and ran a computer scan with my virus protection. Still happening. What would you guys recommend doing next? Is there anything I'm missing?
    mrbrklyn might be right. You may have to re-install windows if it is a worm or virus.

If you have access to a place that does computer repair, you can try that. Can't guarantee that all your files will be spared the process.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    If you have access to a place that does computer repair, you can try that. Can't guarantee that all your files will be spared the process.
    Thanks everyone

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I have a Seagate external drive that gets backed up every night. If I have to wipe everything and re-install Windows at least I've some family photos and stuff backed up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I have a Seagate external drive that gets backed up every night. If I have to wipe everything and re-install Windows at least I've some family photos and stuff backed up.
    Before reinstating the data, run a virus scanner on it. That is very important.

Okay, this is weird. Everything is working fine now. All I did was turn my laptop on and it seemed faster and loaded my homepage (which it wasn't before). So I checked another site that it wasn't letting me go to before and I can access those sites too now. Weird.

Aaaaaaand now it's doing it again and I can only access some websites. Grrrr

Aaaaaaand now it's doing it again and I can only access some websites. Grrrr
    Looks like mrbrklyn is right. You might have to bring it to a Pro or re-install widows.