Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What writer you consider a hero by saving your character from being mishandled?

There are characters, whether they’re considered iconic, obscure, or any level of popularity has been mishandled at one point or another by writers and editorial throughout the history of DC. Thanks to writers’ mishandling on these characters, these characters has been effected in one point or more in their lifetime has been put either into limbo, received the axe, or just have a bad history from a story that stayed with them. These characters has become victims, because of a certain writer. With that said, there are new writers, who has made a difference to characters that’s been previously mishandled poorly to where they’ve been well received by readers/fans by taking time in investing into those characters and fixing the writers’ past mistakes on said character. What writer(s) do you consider a hero by doing your character justice that a previous writer has failed to do so?

First one that comes to my mind is Johns with Hal Jordan. I didn't love the whole Rainbow corps storyline... but the way rebirth returned him to glory and out of that Spectre mess he was in That was amazing.

In Marvel, I hated Bendis' Run of Daredevil with a passion and loved when Ed Brubaker jumped on. It was definitely an improvement, but too little to late I think.

The go-to example really should be John Ostrander and Kim Yale for saving Barbara Gordon. I'd also say that Mairghread Scott is seems set on saving Babs again right now.

Then we have John Rucka with Wonder Woman after the Azzarello and Finch runs, though DC was quick to undo any good that came of that with the Robinson run.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Grant Morrison on JLA sticks out for me.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Mighty Member

Geoff Johns on The Flash Rebirth.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Scott Snyder bringing J’onn back with Justice League after the mess New 52 had with him betraying and fighting them.
    Tynion with Constantine in New 52 and Rebirth
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Jason Todd - Scott Lobdell - Just sayin'

Dick Grayson - Tim Seeley - Just for Grayson.

For me other than that there are no saving graces cause there are aspects of each writer I liked for all the characters I like.

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    Really? Johns did a great job with Wally in the first half (maybe three quarters) of his original run, but I thought it was generally accepted that The Flash: Rebirth wasn't very good.

I have to agree with Morrison on JLA. Giffen and co had done a great job with a humorous book, but after he left, the JLA floundered terribly till Morrison came along.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    Totally.

I'm going to go with Morrison for Superman in Action Comics. In the man's own words, when asked there's a "defining principle [Superman] has that's different from... pre-'Flashpoint", Morrison said:

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Morrison
    I think what remains is a Superman [who] is a bit more proactive and more masculine in the sense that he gets things done. He’s got a little bit of a sense of humor, and he’s tough again. You can knock him down, and he’ll get up. I think the best thing that it’s done ultimately is to get rid of that weird emo Superman that was around for a long time. He was constantly fighting against using his powers and was kind of angst-driven. There are so many great characters in comics that are angst-driven that we don’t need Superman to be one was well. If anything great has come out of this for the future of how Superman is done, I think it’s that the current Superman is proactive and Clark Kent’s a little more feisty.
    Gave me my favorite take on the character. Not necessarily my favorite take on his supporting cast or his world world, but just the character of Kal-El himself. That more proactive, or feisty side stuck around well into Rebirth too, or at least 'til Bendis showed up. Not sure where he stands now, I dropped Superman books after disliking Bendis' The Man of Steel so much, but at least for a while there we had a great firecracker of a Superman.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Off the top of my head, Johns for Hal and Aquaman, Rucka for Wonder Woman and it's probably way too early to say he "saved" the character, but I really love what Nick Spencer has been doing with Amazing Spider-Man. Probably because of my Peter/MJ bias, but he's been doing great on that book, which I hadn't taken interest in for a decade.
    Last edited by Johnny; 09-28-2018 at 07:38 AM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    In Marvel, I hated Bendis' Run of Daredevil with a passion and loved when Ed Brubaker jumped on. It was definitely an improvement, but too little to late I think.
    What..? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    What..? Why?

Morrison on JLA
    Johns on Teen Titans
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Morrison on JLA
    Johns on Teen Titans
    I agree on Morrison but idk I never liked Johns' TT

Geoff Johns on Aquaman.

Extraordinary Member

Definitely

Dick Grayson - Tim Seeley - Just for Grayson.
    I case of Dick Grayson, also Tomasi comes to mind.
    I mean the Kyle Higgins run was imo still solid, while the Nightwing runs before Tomasi took over were pretty bad.

Also
    Ed Brubaker - Catwoman
    Allan Grant/Garth Ennis - Etrigan
    Roy Thomas - Lots of Golden Age Characters

(Ok these are mostly not really cases from saved from mishandling, but of making these characters much better.)