Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What writer you consider a hero by saving your character from being mishandled?

There are characters, whether they’re considered iconic, obscure, or any level of popularity has been mishandled at one point or another by writers and editorial throughout the history of DC. Thanks to writers’ mishandling on these characters, these characters has been effected in one point or more in their lifetime has been put either into limbo, received the axe, or just have a bad history from a story that stayed with them. These characters has become victims, because of a certain writer. With that said, there are new writers, who has made a difference to characters that’s been previously mishandled poorly to where they’ve been well received by readers/fans by taking time in investing into those characters and fixing the writers’ past mistakes on said character. What writer(s) do you consider a hero by doing your character justice that a previous writer has failed to do so?

First one that comes to my mind is Johns with Hal Jordan. I didn't love the whole Rainbow corps storyline... but the way rebirth returned him to glory and out of that Spectre mess he was in That was amazing.

In Marvel, I hated Bendis' Run of Daredevil with a passion and loved when Ed Brubaker jumped on. It was definitely an improvement, but too little to late I think.

The go-to example really should be John Ostrander and Kim Yale for saving Barbara Gordon. I'd also say that Mairghread Scott is seems set on saving Babs again right now.

Then we have John Rucka with Wonder Woman after the Azzarello and Finch runs, though DC was quick to undo any good that came of that with the Robinson run.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Grant Morrison on JLA sticks out for me.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Mighty Member

Geoff Johns on The Flash Rebirth.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Scott Snyder bringing J’onn back with Justice League after the mess New 52 had with him betraying and fighting them.
    Tynion with Constantine in New 52 and Rebirth
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Jason Todd - Scott Lobdell - Just sayin'

Dick Grayson - Tim Seeley - Just for Grayson.

For me other than that there are no saving graces cause there are aspects of each writer I liked for all the characters I like.

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    Really? Johns did a great job with Wally in the first half (maybe three quarters) of his original run, but I thought it was generally accepted that The Flash: Rebirth wasn't very good.

I have to agree with Morrison on JLA. Giffen and co had done a great job with a humorous book, but after he left, the JLA floundered terribly till Morrison came along.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    In Marvel, I hated Bendis' Run of Daredevil with a passion and loved when Ed Brubaker jumped on. It was definitely an improvement, but too little to late I think.
    What..? Why?

What..? Why?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    What..? Why?

What..? Why?

It's really simple. Barry Allen is my Flash and i was happy that he was pretty much rescued from obscurity. Barry to most people was simply a footnote.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

It's really simple. Barry Allen is my Flash and i was happy that he was pretty much rescued from obscurity. Barry to most people was simply a footnote.
    Amen! I will forever be grateful to the powers that finally lifted the ridiculous twenty-year embargo on Barry Allen and reversed the damage done to Hal Jordan during the 1990s.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Amen! I will forever be grateful to the powers that finally lifted the ridiculous twenty-year embargo on Barry Allen and reversed the damage done to Hal Jordan during the 1990s.
    The movie kind of did more damage to him than Parallax ever did tho. In both instances it took a handful of incompetent idiots to destroy a classic character in no time. Twice.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I can respect that, I just feel as a general Flash fan he took him from obscurity and plunged him into a horrible character re-write that has plagued the Flash series to this day.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

After some thought (and an unfortunate dip into Wikipedia to look up the current status of a character) I've realized I'm still in need of hero writers.

DC: Wally West murdered (or a murderer playing possum) after being mishandled in Titans and not allowed to thrive in more than cameos in The Flash. Rumors having it that if he does survive he's going to be in... gag... Suicide Squad.

Marvel: Scott Summers killed off page by an illness after killing his father figure. Hank Pym eaten by some disgusting monster in something called a Soul World....and he didn't even realize he was about to be consumed.

*goes to bed, covers over head, and imagination plays I NEED A HERO by Bonny Tyler in head* G'night all.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)