Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I'm sure some people are tired of me saying this, but since you asked... Bendis outed Daredevil, which... had been done in the past. The shock and awe of a recycled story didn't work for me in the least. Also, he leaned way too hard on the 'Matt Murdock's life is crap' concept. Yes, It's fun to hit Matt hard and knock him down... but the key to daredevil is that he always gets back up. He doesn't let the dark and gritty world he lives in drag him down... he Always climbs back up into the light. Bendis didn't get that. He just hit him over and over and over again and never gave us the 'rising above it' thing that IS Daredevil.

Also, his stories were WAYYYYY to drawn out. Mostly boring. everyone acted very out of character... which is a typical complaint about Bendis. They MAY play better in trades... but reading them monthly was a slog.
    I did read them in trades (and very long ago) so that may be part of why I have a different take. I hear you on hitting him over and over again, it did feel like he was constantly being dealt a terrible hand, though I interpreted his carrying on being Daredevil as his "rising above" even though there wasn't an explicit emotional or tonal shift to signify that. Thanks for responding though!

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Peter David on Aquaman
    This gets my vote.

Retired

Cary Bates rescued the Legion of Super-Heroes from obscurity and poor treatment in the early 1970s, by using them in SUPERBOY, to the point where they took over the book. Thus setting them up for a superior run of stories that other writers like Jim Shooter and Paul Levitz could build on.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Bryan Q. Miller and Stephanie Brown.
    Seconded. I read his books first and then back tracked to read all of her other appearances and realized how incredible the character is. And...also...how although she can stand alone, Robin really lost its heart and charm after her death. It's amazing how much of what people love about Tim is how Stephanie grounded him. She would have been a better Robin than him (as was mentioned in universe), but wouldn't have lasted. Too many villains in Gotham have fetishes for blondes, including the Joker. She was and still is my favorite Batgirl who's books I reread regularly. I liked Cassandra a lot, and own most of her books, but she's not as near and dear to me as Stephanie is.

As for my favorite? Still waiting for someone to give Talia the due she deserves. Which is a damn shame as in all the other media dark and damaged women are the zeitgeist right now. There are none in DC's stable darker or more damaged than Talia. How sad is it that she's coming up on her fiftieth anniversary and there are only four stories with her as the main character, only two are full issues, and only one gets in her head. Or that the vast majority of stories with her in them haven't been released digitally or otherwise. If DC was willing to go risky, they could make a killing off of the character. But they'd have to bring in a female writer from outside of comics who has a die hard, rabid, voracious fan base who would delight in shredding the trolls and eager to pay for everything they write. In other words: a romance novelist, or a suspense/thriller writer and then they'd have to give her access to the archives and free rein.

Gillian Flynn would be amazing. Talia al Ghul is already essentially one of her characters, it would be like letting her come home. Although someone who has written multiple world wide bestsellers, successful screenplays, and critical acclaimed tv shows would never slum in comics. Or have the patience to put up with the culture at DC.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n_RDM View Post
    This gets my vote.
    I really hated PAD's take on Aquaman. It just felt so forced. I think the series they canceled for David's reboot was actually better.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

After some thought (and an unfortunate dip into Wikipedia to look up the current status of a character) I've realized I'm still in need of hero writers.

DC: Wally West murdered (or a murderer playing possum) after being mishandled in Titans and not allowed to thrive in more than cameos in The Flash. Rumors having it that if he does survive he's going to be in... gag... Suicide Squad.

Marvel: Scott Summers killed off page by an illness after killing his father figure. Hank Pym eaten by some disgusting monster in something called a Soul World....and he didn't even realize he was about to be consumed.

*goes to bed, covers over head, and imagination plays I NEED A HERO by Bonny Tyler in head* G'night all.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    I really hated PAD's take on Aquaman. It just felt so forced. I think the series they canceled for David's reboot was actually better.
    Yeah, I can't stand the PAD Aquaman run. At least not as a fan of the character, like I am. It doesn't register as Aquaman for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post
    But they'd have to bring in a female writer from outside of comics who has a die hard, rabid, voracious fan base who would delight in shredding the trolls and eager to pay for everything they write. In other words: a romance novelist, or a suspense/thriller writer and then they'd have to give her access to the archives and free rein.
    In other words, you want Seanan McGuire. But I'm not sure DC would survive having her work for them.

I would say that Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning (aka "DnA") saved the Legion after those years of being the "Archie Legion." (Brainiac 5 had a monkey companion named Koko....) Two Legion titles and I ended up dropping them both before they brought things back. I remember being genuinely excited after "Legion Lost" and "Legion World" and they relaunched the title with Coipel. Good times...