Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    Because it's done so fast that the pieces couldn't drift apart and he compressed them together within a few sentences from Batman.

The moon was completely destroyed, not just turned into big rocks.
    Issue number and or scans for the moon having been completely destroyed? The provided preview and scan are big chunks of moon. They're talking about it like he's putting existing crap back together.

Otherwise nothing about that especially screams FTL if he's strong enough, which he is. It's the moon. He can bench the weight of the earth for days while sun deprived and otherwise move crap bigger than the Earth. You talk like the pieces would separate from themselves at some blinding rate despite being shoved together by a guy who is ridiculously strong.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    How is he ... making the pieces stick.
    gravity ---

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Issue number and or scans for the moon having been completely destroyed? The provided preview and scan are big chunks of moon. They're talking about it like he's putting existing crap back together.
    Justice League 1 (2018). You can see there are a few big debris and rest are just dust from the moon.

Otherwise nothing about that especially screams FTL if he's strong enough, which he is. It's the moon. He can bench the weight of the earth for days while sun deprived and otherwise move crap bigger than the Earth. You talk like the pieces would separate from themselves at some blinding rate despite being shoved together by a guy who is ridiculously strong.
    No matter how strong he is, if he can't keep the pressure on each part of the moon simultaneously while is compressing the debris, the sphere would fall apart.

It's his speed which is highlighted here, not his strength.

I find it unfortunate that you're having to start defaulting to hard science to try to justify your interpretation of a man putting an exploded moon back together via superpowers that would not be remotely usable in the manner that they are under its standards (if at all). His strength is significantly beyond the scale of the moon. The effort of compressing its debris should not really take much from him by just simple comparison to that. He's putting pieces back together/compressing them together, that's what we see in the comic. He doesn't have to do anything simultaneously, he just has to force a bunch of moon chunks back together into a moon shaped ball of moon. Chunks forced together by a scale of strength wayyy beyond the moon should stay together fine.

Justice League 1 (2018). You can see there are a few big debris and rest are just dust from the moon.
    I'm going to have to ask for a scan from it showing that then because all I can find from that is J'onn ramming the moon and blowing it up in combination with Batman's moon killing bombs and the moon then blowing up as Vandal Savage and minions look up at the sky. It looks like huge chunks of moon blowing apart as he does.

edit: Are you saying the dots in space are moon dust? Because.. that's just how space is being drawn as far as any images of this thing I'm looking at. Space looked the exact same way while the moon was still intact and J'onn was talking about going for it. That's just a starscape.

And that aside? The moon is only so big on the scale of planets. There is only so much space he has to work in to assemble it, and there's only so intricate he has to go here. He's not assembling some complex thing of nuanced fine moving parts. He's shoving chunks of the moon back together and he's reaaalllly strong. Near light feels just fine as the basic minimum here.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 09-28-2018 at 02:42 AM.

I find it unfortunate that you're having to start defaulting to hard science to try to justify your interpretation of a man putting an exploded moon back together via superpowers that would not be remotely usable in the manner that they are under its standards (if at all). His strength is significantly beyond the scale of the moon. The effort of compressing its debris should not really take much from him by just simple comparison to that. He's putting pieces back together/compressing them together, that's what we see in the comic. He doesn't have to do anything simultaneously, he just has to force a bunch of moon chunks back together into a moon shaped ball of moon. Chunks forced together by a scale of strength wayyy beyond the moon should stay together fine.

I'm going to have to ask for a scan from it showing that then because all I can find from that is J'onn ramming the moon and blowing it up in combination with Batman's moon killing bombs and the moon then blowing up as Vandal Savage and minions look up at the sky. It looks like huge chunks of moon blowing apart as he does.

edit: Are you saying the dots in space are moon dust? Because.. that's just how space is being drawn as far as any images of this thing I'm looking at. Space looked the exact same way while the moon was still intact and J'onn was talking about going for it. That's just a starscape.

And that aside? The moon is only so big on the scale of planets. There is only so much space he has to work in to assemble it, and there's only so intricate he has to go here. He's not assembling some complex thing of nuanced fine moving parts. He's shoving chunks of the moon back together and he's reaaalllly strong. Near light feels just fine as the basic minimum here.
    I'm amused that you think it's some kind of "hard science" when his speed is shown as the main ability to recreate the scene rather than Superman simply compressing the moon by his strength.

But alright, Superman probably just used supersonic speed and any supersonic character can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    I'm amused that you think it's some kind of "hard science" when his speed is shown as the main ability to recreate the scene rather than Superman simply compressing the moon by his strength.

But alright, Superman probably just used supersonic speed and any supersonic character can do it.
    So that's a no to the scan request. Because again, I'm not finding anything like what you're talking about other than "moon blows up into some chunks". I'm happy to be shown something I missed. That's the entire reason of asking.

Also, be as amused as you like, you're the one who started talking about how "the sphere would fall apart" and invoking some simultaneous need for pressure despite the strength of the guy involved who is forcing the chunks of the moon together. If you don't like that your argument is now boiling down to needing to arbitrarily apply some laws of physics to comic books, that's kind of the problem with your argument, is exactly what I'm saying there.

Also, his strength is what's letting him compress the moon together and move the pieces of it around. His speed is what is letting him do so quickly. His strength is what is letting him do so at all. Your big way of discounting the relevance of that is at this point saying "because the moon would have otherwise collapsed again", which to make any sense as a statement would have to logically mean you're saying Superman is not strong enough to otherwise force chunks of moon together such that they wouldn't collapse. Which would make no sense with how strong Superman is.

If you've reached the point where all you can do is ignore requests and exaggerate the posts of people you're replying to, I feel like this thread was less about discussing the performance in question and more about you wanting some very specific response of some sort and not liking when you don't get it.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 09-28-2018 at 05:47 AM.

Well, to be fair he can't smoosh it together too tightly as that would reduce the size of moon (not the mass) and it looks like the same size. He'd probably have to use heat and freeze breath a lot.

"Clark, we can rebuild it better."

"Bruce, no."

"C'mon Clark, it be really cool!"

"For the last time Bruce, I'm not carving a giant bat symbol into the Moon!"

"Bat-Moon!"

I haven't read a DC comic since they obliterated new 52, but that feat is weird. I say 50/50 under light or over. Superman is basically traveling the circumference of the moon thousands of times. But he has a convo with Batman in real time, which is at least 10 seconds...maybe more, since most people don't banter back and forth instantly. Circumference of the moon is around 10,000km. Light speed is 29'ish times that km. So even if Clark went round 1000 times, if took ten seconds...um, I don't know math. How are the pieces holding together though?