Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Why does DC always outsell Marvel?

DC wins in every category.

Comics, animated movies, animated shows, live action shows, most iconic characters known around the world.

Only category Marvel wins in is live action movies.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I don't know about non-comics revenue but Marvel comics own more shares than DC, at the largest almost double.

What sales figures are we using here?
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

You know, I actually think this is the first time i've ever seen a title say that, like ever.

Anyway, I don't know if DC actually sells more than Marvel in comics. Never been one interested in checking comic sales, but for some reason I feel like what you said isn't true. (but who knows)

now I feel like the general consensus from what I have seen on some sites is that in animated movies and in animated shows DC has Marvel beat, don't know if you can say the same with live action shows tho.

As to if DC also has the most iconic character known around the world...eh

When I think about the most iconic comic character in the world I think of three, which instantly come out off the top of my head.

They are Spider-man, Batman, and Superman.

Don't know who's the most Iconic character is tho.

Astonishing Member

They don't.

This isn't me trying to belittle DC or anything, but it's a statement of fact that DC doesn't always outsell Marvel.

How long do you think DC will have more "Iconic characters " with Marvel kicking the crap out of them in the movies. What kid is being born today seeing from Superman and Batman going yeah they are amazing. Which heroes are shaping the culture? When kids get older what they will the be having Nostigla about? Man of Steel? Batman v Superman? Justice League?

It is blasphemous to say but Iron Man is probably as Iconic as Superman,Batman and Spiderman. And he is doing it the same way those characters became Iconic dominating the popular media. Just something to think about

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Leopard View Post

Comics, animated movies, animated shows, live action shows, most iconic characters known around the world.

Comics- Marvel almost always outsells DC, although I think the Diamon numbers can be a bit... dubious.

Animated movies- Marvel doesn't even attempt this, but it's not like DC's animated movies are great... In fact they're all kind of boring.

Animated shows- Pretty sure Marvel's Disney XD shows are doing just as well as Teen Titans Go.

Live action shows- Marvel has Netflix and others, DC has CW and others. This really isn't one-sided at all.

Most iconic character around the world- As for A-listers, DC has Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and debatably Flash. Marvel has Spider-Man, X-Men, Wolverine, Avengers, Captain America, Iron Man, and debatably Thor. I don't think so man.

Live-action movies- The one medium that actually matters, and the one in which DC is squandering every opportunity. While Marvel is building a beloved, diverse, worldwide franchise that can (probably) stand the test of time. DC is literally doing the opposite. Aquaman, Shazam, and Wonder Woman 2 have a slim chance of putting DC on track, but they're so far behind right now that they're going to need another decade to catch up.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post
    Comics- Marvel almost always outsells DC, although I think the Diamon numbers can be a bit... dubious.

Animated movies- Marvel doesn't even attempt this, but it's not like DC's animated movies are great... In fact they're all kind of boring.

Animated shows- Pretty sure Marvel's Disney XD shows are doing just as well as Teen Titans Go.

Live action shows- Marvel has Netflix and others, DC has CW and others. This really isn't one-sided at all.

Most iconic character around the world- As for A-listers, DC has Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and debatably Flash. Marvel has Spider-Man, X-Men, Wolverine, Avengers, Captain America, Iron Man, and debatably Thor. I don't think so man.

Live-action movies- The one medium that actually matters, and the one in which DC is squandering every opportunity. While Marvel is building a beloved, diverse, worldwide franchise that can (probably) stand the test of time. DC is literally doing the opposite. Aquaman, Shazam, and Wonder Woman 2 have a slim chance of putting DC on track, but they're so far behind right now that they're going to need another decade to catch up.
    The DC animated movies have been in a downward spiral in terms of quality since Flashpoint Paradox.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Leopard View Post

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a troll post right?
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I don't know about non-comics revenue but Marvel comics own more shares than DC, at the largest almost double.
    Typically DC has a market share percentage in the low 30s and Marvel in the mid to high 30s I think.
    But that really depends on which events and Relaunches are going on. For Example when DC started Rebirth they out sold marvel for several month.

And at least when it comes to direct to DVD animated movies, it seems like Marvel has basically stopped doing those, while DC is usually putting out roughly 3 per year.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    How long do you think DC will have more "Iconic characters " with Marvel kicking the crap out of them in the movies. What kid is being born today seeing from Superman and Batman going yeah they are amazing. Which heroes are shaping the culture? When kids get older what they will the be having Nostigla about? Man of Steel? Batman v Superman? Justice League?

It is blasphemous to say but Iron Man is probably as Iconic as Superman,Batman and Spiderman. And he is doing it the same way those characters became Iconic dominating the popular media. Just something to think about
    Obviously they've grown in popularity, but they aren't more iconic. And while DC's brand has taken a hit or two, it's still strong. I see children and adults here in NYC wearing more DC themed shirts than Marvel.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    LOL. He lives in Bizarro world.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post
    I'd give the edge to DC with stuff like Death of Superman, Lego Batman, Gotham by Gaslight, etc.
    I was under the impression that the ratings for the Marvel shows are pretty low in general, but Disney XD is a niche channel even if it's easier to get a Superhero action cartoon off the ground there then it is on Cartoon Network.

But I would never put Marvel Animation on par with DC Animation (and I like the current Marvel cartoons). Their cartoons never look as cheap as some of the animation in a current Marvel cartoon.
    People also know who Aquaman and Green Lantern are, even if Aquaman still has the stigma of Super Friends and there are debates as to which Green Lantern the public knows best.
    Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    The DC animated movies have been in a downward spiral in terms of quality since Flashpoint Paradox.
    I think there's been a recent upswing over time, especially with certain movies.

But even if you don't like the Animated Feature line there are other DC animated movies out, like the Adam West movies, Batman Ninja, the Lego movies, DC Super Hero Girls, etc.

In terms of comics sales via Diamond, Marvel has generally been the top seller -- sometimes by a wide margin.

Now, we're just talking retail orders, not sell-through, and a lot of Marvel sales are due to incentive cover gimmicks, but the reality is that retailers are going for it.

As far as bookstore sales, I would believe that DC probably sells better there. I think they have a more established bookstore distribution system in place, and their Vertigo stuff does well in trades and would appeal to the bookstore crowd over things like "World War Hulk" or whatever.

As far as animation is concerned, I would agree that DC's stuff is generally more highly regarded than Marvel's, and I would disagree with the above statement that DC has gone downhill since Flashpoint Paradox. They've made some missteps -- a couple from Bruce Timm (Killing Joke, Batman/Harley Quinn), but I've recently watched Batman: Ninja, Death of Superman, Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay, and Batman: Gotham by Gaslight, and they were all pretty fantastic -- among the best superhero animated movies ever. So, DC's very recent track record in that area is on the upswing.

Regarding live action movies, it's pretty clear that while I've liked 3 of the 5 movies the DCEU has done (MoS, BvS, WW), they have faltered in creating a Cinematic Universe and a brand identity that gets people excited the way that Marvel has. A "Marvel Movie" is a legitimate "thing" as a topic of conversation. A "DC Movie" isn't really discussed at all except in negative terms.

In live action shows, I think they're pretty even at this point. People look forward to the CW shows (even if they complain about certain aspects of them), but they also look forward to Marvel's Netflix stuff. DC has won over early naysayers with SyFy's Krypton, so we'll see if the same holds true for Titans, which right now has a bit of an uphill battle for acceptance due to Starfire's horrific look and the gratuitous cursing.

With merchandise, I don't know how it stands regarding toys. I've heard Spider-Man toys are among the most popular in the world, but I'd wager Batman is pretty up there, too. However, as far as apparel is concerned, I think DC might have a clear win here. In spite of how people may feel about the current DCEU movies, everyone -- and I mean everyone -- will wear a Superman T-Shirt. Man, woman, child, old, young -- I've seen everyone from kids to grandmothers wear them. The Superman symbol shirt is probably the most prevalent piece of comic-related apparel that I've ever seen. It's as much a part of pop culture as the Mickey Mouse watch (when people still wore watches), and is separate and apart from how popular DC or Superman is at any given moment. The Superman T-shirt is a perennial.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Somebody told me Marvel comics are selling so bad the last few years they might be forced to stop using colors. It will look more like manga cause they can't afford to color the pictures.