Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Out of character moments I'm actually fine with. As mentioned, if emotions never won out, if there was never a lapse in judgement, if opinions didn't change over time we'd just be reading about super powers and not characters. We got DC for that.

In contrast, I get much more annoyed at clear plot driven decisions. Things clearly decided to push the story forward no matter how contrary to the characters current tone it may be. Those reeeeeeeeeaally irritate me. Though that makes me avoid writers over characters.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And going off of that...Thor mentioning his "dalliances" while he was with Jane to try and justify why she hid being the female Thor from him.
    Dr. Strange got similarly treated in the Fearless Defenders run, with Clea remembering coming to visit him and him having a private party with a bunch of stripper-looking women (presumably hookers) in his sanctum. I was like, 'What the heck? Can't they just be on a break without him having to be a total dog? Maybe she's just been real busy with the Dark Dimension stuff and doesn't have time to be Mrs. Strange?'

Daimon Hellstrom has also gotten some pretty terrible characterization in recent years, from what I've heard, particularly regarding his relationship with Patsy (and becoming a desperate horndog to everyone else, it seems, so much that, at a party, She-Hulk commented on him hitting on the Scarlet Witch by saying, 'Go ahead Wanda, say it, 'No more Hellstrom!'' which seemed like the height of bad taste, since there were mutants within listening range, as well as Wanda herself...).

Mighty Member

Terrigen Mist causes giant tumors to appear all over your body if you're a mutant. No. Just No.

Riri William's origin story where she begs for gender discrimination. What an unsympathetic brat.

Wanda and Pietro aren't Magneto's kids. Why?

The Marcus Johnson -> Nick Fury transition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Dr. Strange got similarly treated in the Fearless Defenders run, with Clea remembering coming to visit him and him having a private party with a bunch of stripper-looking women (presumably hookers) in his sanctum. I was like, 'What the heck? Can't they just be on a break without him having to be a total dog? Maybe she's just been real busy with the Dark Dimension stuff and doesn't have time to be Mrs. Strange?'
    What? Like, what? How could anyone think that's a reasonable depiction of Dr. Strange ?
    Daimon Hellstrom has also gotten some pretty terrible characterization in recent years, from what I've heard, particularly regarding his relationship with Patsy (and becoming a desperate horndog to everyone else, it seems, so much that, at a party, She-Hulk commented on him hitting on the Scarlet Witch by saying, 'Go ahead Wanda, say it, 'No more Hellstrom!'' which seemed like the height of bad taste, since there were mutants within listening range, as well as Wanda herself...).
    Hindsight (at least as far as modern writers depicting) has seemed to not be very kind to Daimon and Patsy's relationship.

BANNED

at least they didn't show priests damning her as a harlot for sleeping with the son of Satan or have they?

The way people choose to describe their pet hate moments seem to tell more about them than the moments. There are a number of points being made that contain lots of spin.

They did W to character X because of Y and obviously the writers/editors were doing Z. Where Y and Z are clearly open to interpretation and sometimes just weird interpretations that have nothing to do with W.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Terrigen Mist causes giant tumors to appear all over your body if you're a mutant. No. Just No.

Riri William's origin story where she begs for gender discrimination. What an unsympathetic brat.

Wanda and Pietro aren't Magneto's kids. Why?
    re Riri - I though the scene of her in class as a very jungle girl was very porely constructed and showed a real lack of craft from the writer both in execution and intent

Hawkeye killing Banner in Civil War II no matter if Bruce asked him Clint had always had a strong stance on heroes killing even almost divorcing Bobbi when thinking she let her rapist die at the time he was her rapist.

Quote Originally Posted by frontier View Post
    like, peter hitting mary jane was back when they were trying to prop up ben as the "real" spider-man, so they had him do a horrible thing as hitting his wife. But now that peter is the main spider-man marvel tries to pretend that never happened even though they won't ever let hank pym forget that he hit jan, and he had genuine mental problems at the time. But marvel is more invested in spider-man then they are hank pym.
    ^^^^this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Johnny Storm marrying Alicia Masters (or someone he thought was Alicia). Seriously a low class move beyond anything non-scumbags would do.
    Followed up by a ridiculous storyline years later to try and explain it all away. Complete carcrash of a plot thread from start to ridiculous conclusion.

Mighty Member

Sue Storm turning the 4 into a boob window.

Franklin Richards being aged into a Cable Clone complete with a crazy son and marriage from the future.

Hyperstorm's fashion choices.

World War Hulks where everyone gets turned into a Hulk