View Poll Results: Should Jean have stayed dead after the DPS?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 34.18%
  • No

52 65.82%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Default Should Jean have stayed dead after the DPS? What if she never came back?

Jean is a great character deepely connected with many other important characters on the X-men but she is also famous for dying.
    Given her connections her death has a great impact on the X-men, probably more than any other death

So what do you think? Was a good thing that she came back after the DPS?
    would the X-men as a franchice be better or worse?
    How do you think everything would have played out?

I feel like Maddie, Emma and Rachel would be totally different characters.
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 01-30-2020 at 08:03 AM.

I think Emma Frost might’ve stayed a villain.

Rachel would’ve been treated with a bit more care.

Maddie might’ve developed powers and joined X-Factor.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I think Emma Frost might’ve stayed a villain.

Rachel would’ve been treated with a bit more care.

Thank you for your answer

What about Cyclops?
    Do you think that without Jean or Emma he would have stayed a good husband/dad?

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Why they didn't consider just putting Polaris in X-Factor is a mystery to me

As a jean fan I’m always crucified for my opinion but yes, I think I would have liked her to stay dead after DPS.

Teen jean was such a brilliant loophole because I got “a jean” back to read and enjoy, yet the mythical being that was “the great saint jean grey “ still existed with adult jean being dead.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

#JeanGreyisDEADontheMoon
    Firm believer that VERY little worthwhile has been done with her since her return. However, I do factor in the element that through a modern lens Dark Phoenix Saga can be interpreted as being misogynist in the vein of "Make a woman powerful and she will become (sexually liberated and) EVIL". But beyond that, its a scale balancer: Absolute Power corrupts and in the end, Jean had the agency to defeat the threat...HERSELF.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Ultimately voted no, but it's complicated.
    If there is any hero who should come back from death, it's the one with "Phoenix" as her name. Putting myself in the mindset of readers back in the day, where death seemed more permanent, I can understand it being sacrilegious. But I was exposed to the X-Men for the first time after Jean had come back and this was just part of her story, so it's pretty much a given at this point she could be resurrected.

What I DON'T like is the way they brought her back. The whole "it was never really Jean at all because we must preserve her sainted purity at all costs" horribly undermines the original story, and it goes in tandem with the horribly flawed premise of X-Factor and the character assassination of Cyclops, and all the characters sort of keep paying for it to this day. It was a perfect storm of crappy ideas all hitting at once, and Jean's presence didn't really result in any good stories right away. Not like the fallout from her death.

But I've enjoyed some stuff with her since then, she's one of my favorites, so I want her back. But I wish something like the Phoenix Egg concept had been in place to resurrect her and the Maddie thing had been handled with considerably more care (though the marriage with Jean's doppelganger is creepy and weird even before Jean's return and the clone retcon).

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

No she shouldn't have stayed dead. I do not like the retcon of her being in a cocoon and also believe the ties to the Phoenix after her resurrection should have been completely severed. Nevertheless, she should not have stayed dead.

If she never came back I dont think there would have been much that changed. A good portion of the last 15 or so years Jean was not present. That said, maybe AvX would have never occurred if she had been alive which would had drastically shifted the direction of the xmen after the dust settled there.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 01-30-2020 at 09:15 AM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    Why they didn't consider just putting Polaris in X-Factor is a mystery to me
    The original plan was for it to be Dazzler.

How many times had she really died?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsus View Post
    How many times had she really died?
    Depends on which retcon we're on.

Imagine if she stayed dead until last year and Hickman saved the return of those thighs for a last page splash reveal.

BANNED

for a moment i thought jean was a dps member in an mmo raid that cant come back after dying

I said no, but it's complicated. I don't think they should have brought her back in X-Factor and I don't think they should have messed around with all the silly white hot room stuff and "resurrection" minis. However I appreciate what she did in Morrison's run enough to not want her to be gone from that. I did like that she was "officially" gone for a long stretch between that run and when they brought her back though, and I didn't mind the original concept around the young Jean in Bendis's All new X-Men. Led to some neat interactions, but downhill fast.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    No she shouldn't have stayed dead. I do not like the retcon of her being in a cocoon and also believe the ties to the Phoenix after her resurrection should have been completely severed. Nevertheless, she should not have stayed dead.

If she never came back I dont think there would have been much that changed. A good portion of the last 15 or so years Jean was not present. That said, maybe AvX would have never occurred if she had been alive which would had drastically shifted the direction of the xmen after the dust settled there.
    I think the retcon was really bad, it messed up everything. She coming back wasn't the problem.

Jean and Cyclops wouldn't marry, maybe Maddie and Cyclops would divorce but Inferno wouldn't happen that way.Jean and Scott wouldn't raise Cable, maybe Cable would never be Scott's son.
    There is a lot of possibilities