Default The "Last" Star Wars film?

This seems to be the major rumor this month: that Episode 9 will be "the last" Star Wars film, something gleaned from interviews from Richard E. Grant and Adam Driver.

I'm thinking that it's probably a mistake, and that they meant it's the last in the current trilogy (or maybe the last of the "episode" films).

Alternatively though, it does seem that Disney is focusing more on expanding the franchise to television (Beyond animation that is) With the Mandalorian and Cassian shows....and we haven't had any word on any more spin-offs, or any further news on the Rian Johnson and GOT writer's films for quite a while.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    This seems to be the major rumor this month: that Episode 9 will be "the last" Star Wars film, something gleaned from interviews from Richard E. Grant and Adam Driver.

I'm thinking that it's probably a mistake, and that they meant it's the last in the current trilogy (or maybe the last of the "episode" films).

Alternatively though, it does seem that Disney is focusing more on expanding the franchise to television (Beyond animation that is) With the Mandalorian and Cassian shows....and we haven't had any word on any more spin-offs, or any further news on the Rian Johnson and GOT writer's films for quite a while.
    Speaking of Rian Johnson..

"Disney also intends to produce four to five original movies a year, including a brand new Star Wars trilogy written and directed by Star Wars: The Last Jedi director, Rian Johnson. https://www.seventeen.com/celebrity/movies-tv/a25737076/disney-streaming-service-facts/"

I still think the GOT writers will get their trilogy, Rian's project will be reduced to one movie or never made. After that Disney just goes the TV route for ten years and then reboots the original trilogy.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I'm assuming everything announced to date is a go until I specifically hear of cancelations. Cancelations wouldn't outright surprise me anymore, I'm just not assuming as such till its stated.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I think, until we find out for sure, it's probably going to be the last Saga movie, with everything else being stuff along the lines of Rogue One, Solo, and Rian Johnson's new trilogy. Heck, I think it was insinuated at one point that the leads of the sequel trilogy might get more movies to star in post-Episode 9.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

It probably really depends on well IX does.

I'd hate to see no more numbered films ...
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Last movie and Star Wars are words that aren't going to go together in any logical sense.

BANNED

If i had a penny for every time i have red or heard about the last movie in this franchise, i would be more rich than Scrooge Mc Duck.

I'd be nice if Star Wars went away for a while, but that's not going to happen. I have really enjoyed all the new films to various degrees, but I can't help but think that the biggest issue is that Star Wars is meant to be special and it can't develop those feelings if you have a new one out every year.

There were three years between the Prequels. And even though I hated the prequels and knew they were bad, I still got excited for each one because there was an event quality surrounding them. That's how The Force Awakens felt. It'd be nice that if after we got the one this year, we could put a pin in it for five years. Keep doing the shows and what not, but stop making movies.

I think a lengthy break from the Saga movies is definitely in order. I'd like to see some Old Republic stuff, or maybe even some Legends type films. It's a pretty big sandbox and lots of room to play!

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarkus View Post
    I think a lengthy break from the Saga movies is definitely in order
    One can only hope so. At least until they have a clear idea what to do next and for once they could also try to build a real trilogy, with a story planned and written BEFORE even shooting the first movie instead of making it on the go like freaking amateurs.

Yeah, it can help.