Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

You make some very good points, and I agree with a lot of it. I am not saying that addingg a new kind of non-superhero book would be like a magic bullet. I mentioned it as one piece of the puzzle.

There’s a lot that has to happen to improve the comics market. I think a shift back away from the direct market is needed, as the video suggests. The distribution model and other outdated practices should be examined and possibly changed. The cost needs to be reined in.

Changing the perception of what comics are is also necessary. And in my opinion, industry leaders like Marvel and DC need to lead the way on all of these fronts. I don’t think it’s wise to rush into all of them all at once....as you say they need to minimize risk...but they have to start. DC’s Wal-Mart deal is a good example. Both of them need to try things like that.

Incredible Member

I wonder if the model Marvel comics have in the UK being put out by Panini would benefit them if they want to sell physical comics outside comic stores in the US. They publish a year or so behind, two 'new' issues to a book, a third classic story and if you have some space to fill use character profiles and pin ups etc.

It would low cost since most of the material is re-used and you could justify the four plus dollars since you're getting multiple stories and bonus content.
    Last edited by Orbus; 10-06-2018 at 05:39 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    One thing: Marvel has barely ever branched out? Are you kidding? In the past Marvel has literaly done every type of comic. Transformers, GI Joe, star wars, Conan and almost any type of licenced comic and genre you can think of. You name the tv/cartoon and Marvel has done it in the past. You are right its been a while, except Star Wars and likely Conan again soon, but in the past Marvel has done a whole lot of other things besides super heroes.
    I am the OWNER of a Marvel comic book called Kid N Play. Yes the boys from House Party and an unsold ABC pilot had a 9 issue comic book.

I also have Visionaries, Cap Planet, Pirates of Dark Water, Mighty Mouse and one sale away from Sectars.

So they did try it.

The issue now is you have too many other places with better choices.
    You don't see Star Trek or Transformers around? Why maybe IDW can get talent that don't want to be harassed or bullied because they got a check from Marvel.

Would a property like Goldie Vance even reach 4 trades under Marvel?
    What about Saga? Motor Crush?

They need to put out content that will appeal to a wider and/or different audience than superheroes.
    As long as the comic book stores and entitlement fans take issue-you are wasting time.

Like we saw we had more folks mad about books they were NOT reading than the books that they were reading.

The DC Wal-Mart books-I have YET to see any of these books in a Wal-Mart and knowing Bendis is introducing a new person for Young Justice-I KNOW that book will not be around.

The DC Wal-Mart

books-I have YET to see any of these books in a Wal-Mart

and knowing Bendis is introducing a new person for Young Justice-I KNOW that book will not be around.
    My Wal-Mart has tons of them. Titans and batman sell the best and have less copies then superman and jla.

I am the OWNER of a Marvel comic book called Kid N Play. Yes the boys from House Party and an unsold ABC pilot had a 9 issue comic book.

I also have Visionaries, Cap Planet, Pirates of Dark Water, Mighty Mouse and one sale away from Sectars.

So they did try it.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Also--

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]