Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Do we really need another Hal Jordan themed Green Lantern series...again ?!?

Morrison has its fans, but I was never a fan of his work. A bit to weird for my taste, but to be given Hal Jordan Green Lantern centered title...again feels like DEJA VU especially when you considered all the work Geoff Johns put into the character year prior.

Honestly with so many Green Lanterns: Why not shift the focus once more to someone like Guy Gardner, who would be an interesting take to see how Rebirth restores his history a bit ?

I mean anything, but another Hal Jordan series. Creative team aside and it is a great creative team, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

As fans of Green Lantern and Hal Jordan: What do you think of this ?

Incredible Member

Not a big Morrison fan but I like Hal, so I'm ok with it. I would love another Kyle focused series though. Also, it's been years since Johns Green Lantern series.

I think we do. He hasn't had a book centered around him since The New-52 ended. And even then, Venditti mostly followed on what Johns was previously doing with putting the character from one universe-ending scenario to another. It's been a while since we've had a run that accentuated more on Hal as a person, as opposed to on him leading the charge against whatever crisis the Lanterns were facing. To me it's refreshing.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

This is entertainment, so we don't really "need" any of this. But I love Morrison and I love Hal, so I'm perfectly happy with this outcome. Maybe the other Lanterns deserve a shot, but I'm not inclined to let it bother me because they're not my favorites. John and Jessica at least have some high profile team books they are in.

Morrison will most likely be digging into Silver Age lore, so it makes more sense to use Hal as it all originated with him

Astonishing Member

In as much as we need any book, lantern or otherwise, sure

a few short years ago we had five monthly GL books; now we are down to one. the franchise does not appear to be in a position where it can cast aside its most noteable star to give a book to someone’s favorite fringe supporting character instead.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I love Morrison and I love Hal Jordan so this is like Xmas Day for me. While I think a Kyle-centric or GLCorps ensemble series would have been interesting, I can understand why a Hal Jordan solo book appeals to Morrison after reading SuperGods. Morrison's take on the character is unique in that he doesn't view him as simply Han Solo or Captain Kirk with a power ring.

I totally get that Hal Jordan is not to everyone's taste. A lot of different writers over the decades have struggled with what makes him tick, which is partly why I love the character so much. He's a bundle of contradictions that is fascinating to read about and very easy to write badly. He's very similar to Superman, who I also adore, in that he's a particularly difficult character to get right, but when he's written properly, he's easily the most interesting superhero to me.
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 09-29-2018 at 08:18 AM.

We don't need any title, but I for one love Hal and am excited to see him in a solo once again! Having a top-notch writer and DC's full backing is also very encouraging.

Some characters keep getting titles, and Hal is one of them. I get that within the GL sphere, it's impossible to not equate Hal's opportunities as taking away from other GLs, and that can be frustrating, but diminishing readership being what it is, I personally am happy that Hal's front-and-center. Whether the other GLs have their own titles or disappear into limbo doesn't really matter to me, but I always want for fans of any character to be able to enjoy them and love how their favorites are being presented.

BANNED

Yes we do and kyle needs a solo too

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I agree with OP. While I respect Hal Jordan, I would have liked DC to retire him (à la Starman) after the end of Geoff Johns' run on the character. Then DC should've took the franchise in a new direction. Have character from the Green Lantern mythos that has a strong fanbase and mainstream recognition, but hasn't had a lot of exposure in the spotlight for a long time: John Stewert or Kyle Rayner. In this decision, DC would essentially throw a bone to portions of their readership who want more heroes of color in prominent roles, and the fans (Wally fans, Cass fans, etc) who want more of the legacy characters to get more love.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Hal Jordan is one of DC's premiere characters.

So of course they're going to publish a high-profile series featuring him. That's been the case for most of the last 60 years - and that will be the scenario long after we're all no longer paying customers anymore, too.

there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

Like Batman, Superman etc. there is plenty of takes on Hal Jordan, all rooted in interpreting the original first Earthman recruited into the Corps premise, which is pretty fantastic, and always ripe for more.
    Not only his role as the first human in the Corps and what he brings to that, but also what the experience brings to his humanity, the guy who is the first to come back from it, how he processes that, and then views and adapts(or not) to the Earth he once left behind, to travel the cosmos.
    So long as good creative writers find the character more interesting than the other derivative versions, (sorry if that's harsh reality for you, but they do) , and have more interesting things to say about that character. I say let them have at it.

That said the franchise built right using the classic Corps premise can and has carried more than one book and character be it more humans or aliens, (except during the Kyle only era) so by all means do parallel books. John Stewart as the young artistic upstart, cosmic "architect", thinking-mans Green Lantern, prophesied to bring a new approach to harnessing and channeling will, was one of the more interesting concepts developed out of the franchise.
    Pretty much the Paul Atreides of the franchise.
    Not sure why that was dropped, (oh right to make Kyle that instead) and replaced John with the boring by the book squre, military vet cliche(even more derivative of Hal) version?
    By all means somebody try and make John unique and interesting again.
    But you'd have to give Kyle's young creative -going to change the nature of the power itself- arc, back to John, good luck.
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-29-2018 at 02:00 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Hal-Jordan themed? Hal is the protagonist. He's not a theme.

Morrison has its fans, but I was never a fan of his work. A bit to weird for my taste, but to be given Hal Jordan Green Lantern centered title...again feels like DEJA VU especially when you considered all the work Geoff Johns put into the character year prior.

Honestly with so many Green Lanterns: Why not shift the focus once more to someone like Guy Gardner, who would be an interesting take to see how Rebirth restores his history a bit ?

I mean anything, but another Hal Jordan series. Creative team aside and it is a great creative team, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

This is sort of like asking if we really need another Peter Parker-focused Spider-Man book or a Diana-centered Wonder Woman book. Hal Jordan is just who the Green Lantern is. You can have solos for Kyle and Guy and John, but when you launch a main Green Lantern title, its kind of to be expected that you're talking about Hal. I'd like to see a bunch of other titles focusing on the other main Earth Lanterns, but I don't know why DC has pulled the plug on that.

BANNED

Like Batman, Superman etc. there is plenty of takes on Hal Jordan, all rooted in interpreting the original first Earthman recruited into the Corps premise, which is pretty fantastic, and always ripe for more.
    Not only his role as the first human in the Corps and what he brings to that, but also what the experience brings to his humanity, the guy who is the first to come back from it, how he processes that, and then views and adapts(or not) to the Earth he once left behind, to travel the cosmos.
    So long as good creative writers find the character more interesting than the other derivative versions, (sorry if that's harsh reality for you, but they do) , and have more interesting things to say about that character. I say let them have at it.

That said the franchise built right using the classic Corps premise can and has carried more than one book and character be it more humans or aliens, (except during the Kyle only era) so by all means do parallel books. John Stewart as the young artistic upstart, cosmic "architect", thinking-mans Green Lantern, prophesied to bring a new approach to harnessing and channeling will, was one of the more interesting concepts developed out of the franchise.
    Not sure why that was dropped, (oh right to make Kyle that instead) and replaced John with the boring by the book military vet(even more derivative of Hal) version?
    By all means somebody try and make John unique and interesting again.
    But you'd have to give Kyle's young creative -going to change the nature of the power itself- arc, back to John, good luck.
    John is the most bland and boring lantern there is,and DC will never give him a solo so keep on dreaming

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    John is the most bland and boring lantern there is,and DC will never give him a solo so keep on dreaming
    Ok just admit already you're a made-up hate-spouting sock-puppet, desperately trying to make fans look bad.
    Cause success! That's prety much what you sound like. LOL!
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-29-2018 at 02:37 PM.