Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How many members of the Super-family is there now? And how many are active?

Yeah... I figure it's time to make an inventory here, how big IS Superman's world, and how big COULD it be?

Here's my quick list off the top of my head:

ACTIVE
    --------
    Superman
    Supergirl
    Krypto
    Superboy III (Jon Kent)
    Jor-El ( -_- damn you... dr manhattan...!)
    Steel
    Steel II (natasha irons)
    Streaky the super-cat (re-powered!! o_o )

TURNED HEEL
    --------------
    Eradicator (rebooted, villainous)
    Lor-Zod (chris Kent ak a Nightwing III -rebooted, villainous

STATUS UNKNOWN
    --------------------
    Comet the Super-horse (possibly repowered)
    New Super-Man (kenan kong)
    Strange Visitor (kismet?)
    Superboy II (kon-el, soon to return)

INACTIVE
    ----------
    Power Girl (trapped between realities)
    Power Girl II (trapped between realities)
    Superwoman IV (lana lang, depowered)
    Cyborg Superman II (zor-el, killed by jor-el)

Superman's Rocket ("brainiac"? from morrison's run - may not exist)

Flamebird II (Thara Ak-Var, inexistent)
    Matrix (supergirl II, inexistent)
    Cir-El (supergirl III, inexistent)
    Beppo the Super-monkey (inexistent)

Feel free to correct me and help fill up the list. Which character would you like to see brought back? And in what way? How can they be either modernized or tweaked into a different niche? (some characters fill up the same niche, which is problematic)

And wow... looking at the inactive list, there's a lot of characters DC Comics have just... outright SCRAPPED! : [ I feel this isn't really the right move to make, just scrapping characters for various reasons, isn't a very productive means of doing business, imho. Preserving them in some capacity, even if hardly ever used, seems like the better move - one never knows when one of these characters could have a good story!
    Last edited by L.R Johansson; 11-15-2018 at 06:25 AM.

Bart Allen popped up not long ago in Flash. So I would expect Connor to pop up at some point as well. Jon could use an uncle/older brother...

Still not sure where Connor is going to end up in that regard.

But the Super Pets popped up, barring Beppo, in a Super Sons special about the Super Pets. The Pets of the Super, Bat, and other families got together to rescue kidnapped animals.

Incredible Member

It is pretty weird that Superman doesn't have any of his family nearly as popular as Batman's family. I don't even know if superman fans care about any of his supporting family besides Lois.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    But the Super Pets popped up, barring Beppo, in a Super Sons special about the Super Pets. The Pets of the Super, Bat, and other families got together to rescue kidnapped animals.
    I can confirm that. At least for Krypto and Streaky. Comet....I'm pretty sure we saw the horse but I'm not 100% on that one.

Also agree about Conner; he's coming back. He's been name dropped, an alternate future version showed up (or something, I didn't follow that arc beyond Detective), his absence is conspicuous and all his friends are getting back together. Plus the cartoon. Conner's returning.....just not sure when.

And I'd quibble about calling Cir-El a member of the Super family. It was one storyline, where she was a plot device. We might as well include Chris Roberson's Super-Chief, or the Unknown Superman of the future.

You did forget Mon-El/Valor though, if we're including him as part of the family. And Kenan Kong. And if we're including Power Girl (Karen) should we also include the Superman from Earth-2? Lar Zod or whatever his name was? Or Calvin Ellis/President Superman? Those last two seem like a stretch to me but it's your list.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Currently showing up in books:
    Clark
    Kara
    Jon
    Krypto
    Jor-El
    Steel
    Natasha Irons

Active but not currently featured:
    Kenan

Status Unknown:
    Kon
    Streaky

BANNED

Didn't Lex qualify when he was a Superman? He turned evil again of course

What is Superboy Prime's current status?

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    It is pretty weird that Superman doesn't have any of his family nearly as popular as Batman's family. I don't even know if superman fans care about any of his supporting family besides Lois.
    Supergirl is pretty popular. She has her own comic book, TV show, and WB is considering making a Supergirl movie.

Does anybody have some more info on the Eradicator's current status? I know he came back as a villain, but was he truly destroyed in Rebirth? And is he still a villain?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Bart Allen popped up not long ago in Flash. So I would expect Connor to pop up at some point as well. Jon could use an uncle/older brother...

Still not sure where Connor is going to end up in that regard.

But the Super Pets popped up,
    barring Beppo, in a Super Sons special about the Super Pets. The Pets of the Super, Bat, and other families got together to rescue kidnapped animals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I can confirm that. At least for Krypto and Streaky. Comet....I'm pretty sure we saw the horse but I'm not 100% on that one.

Also agree about Conner; he's coming back. He's been name dropped, an alternate future version showed up (or something, I didn't follow that arc beyond Detective), his absence is conspicuous and all his friends are getting back together. Plus the cartoon. Conner's returning.....just not sure when.

And I'd quibble about calling Cir-El a member of the Super family. It was one storyline, where she was a plot device. We might as well include Chris Roberson's Super-Chief, or the Unknown Superman of the future.

You did forget Mon-El/Valor though, if we're including him as part of the family. And Kenan Kong. And if we're including Power Girl (Karen) should we also include the Superman from Earth-2? Lar Zod or whatever his name was? Or Calvin Ellis/President Superman? Those last two seem like a stretch to me but it's your list.
    The super-pets are back?? Are they actually super-powered though? Can Streaky do super-things just like Krypto now? Used to be, she was just a regular cat, yeah? (in pre-flashpoint and new-52)

Btw, denizens of Earth-2 shouldn't logically count, since they're primarily located on other Earths. The reason I included the Power Girls is because she has primarily operated on Earth Prime - if she continues to be primarily active in another universe then yeah, she should be removed - at the moment I'm keeping her around though. I will admit that Power Girl is, and always have been, a more peripheral super-family member.

You got me thinking about ANOTHER Zod though! LOR-zod is Chris Kent, aka Nightwing III, while Val-Zod is the Superman of Earth-2 at the moment. Chris is another lost adopted Super-son, whom got a VERY raw deal.

Kenan Kong, ak a Super-Man definitively counts though! I'm adding him pronto, in the inactive roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Didn't Lex qualify when he was a Superman? He turned evil again of course
    Lex qualified when he was a Superman, but now he's indeed back to evil, and he's even changed his suit to a new variation of the Green one, so he doesn't count any more.
    Last edited by L.R Johansson; 10-01-2018 at 07:15 AM.

Chris Kent is a big uncertainty in his status in the Super Family currently. On the one hand there is technically a Lor-Zod who exists in the current Rebirth continuity. But on the other hand he’s a completely different character from the Chris that existed Pre Flashpoint and has a more loving relationship with his father compared with being abused by Zod and Ursa beforehand. It’s safe to say the events of Last Son and New Krypton never happened in the current DC timeline so Chris Kent is probably too disintinct from the current Lor-Zod to be called he same character.

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    Does anybody have some more info on the Eradicator's current status? I know he came back as a villain, but was he truly destroyed in Rebirth? And is he still a villain?

The super-pets are back?? Are they actually super-powered though? Can Streaky do super-things just like Krypto now? Used to be, she was just a regular cat, yeah? (in pre-flashpoint and new-52)

Btw, denizens of Earth-2 shouldn't logically count, since they're primarily located on other Earths. The reason I included the Power Girls is because she has primarily operated on Earth Prime - if she continues to be primarily active in another universe then yeah, she should be removed - at the moment I'm keeping her around though. I will admit that Power Girl is, and always have been, a more peripheral super-family member.

You got me thinking about ANOTHER Zod though! LOR-zod is Chris Kent, aka Nightwing III, while Val-Zod is the Superman of Earth-2 at the moment. Chris is another lost adopted Super-son, whom got a VERY raw deal.

Kenan Kong, ak a Super-Man definitively counts though! I'm adding him pronto, in the inactive roster.

Lex qualified when he was a Superman, but now he's indeed back to evil, and he's even changed his suit to a new variation of the Green one, so he doesn't count any more.
    Yep. They had their powers. It was a World's Finest Pets kind of storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by origami View Post
    What is Superboy Prime's current status?
    It seems like he might be part of some future Flash plans, per some recent foreshadowing. But officially he's still MIA.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    he was still serving zod and his family on a planet zod co-opted over in hal jordan and the green lantern corps.

I've updated the list with your info, friends. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    he was still serving zod and his family on a planet zod co-opted over in hal jordan and the green lantern corps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    Chris Kent is a big uncertainty in his status in the Super Family currently. On the one hand there is technically a Lor-Zod who exists in the current Rebirth continuity. But on the other hand he’s a completely different character from the Chris that existed Pre Flashpoint and has a more loving relationship with his father compared with being abused by Zod and Ursa beforehand. It’s safe to say the events of Last Son and New Krypton never happened in the current DC timeline so Chris Kent is probably too disintinct from the current Lor-Zod to be called he same character.
    Ooooh, so there's a NEW version of Lor-Zod?
    Tell me more about this... does Superman remember raising Zod's son? I'm not entirely clear on how continuity works at the moment... used to be this was the pre-flashpoint Superman, but then there was some kind of temporal 5th-dimension-jor-el-dr-manhattan-mr-mxyzptlk shenanigans, and now I believe Superman and his continuity is some kind of amalgamation...?

So, it's not just big chunks of new-52 that didn't happen, but there are parts of the post-crisis continuity that did not, as well? For shame if Chris Kent is one of those deleted parts... I rather liked him.
    Last edited by L.R Johansson; 10-01-2018 at 12:35 PM.

No, Superman doesn't know this Lor-Zod at all. He's presumably been raised his entire life by his birth parents and he's very much on their side. So yeah, there's some chunks of Pre-FP that didn't happen, but not as many as New 52, which is virtually wiped out entirely. Chris is out likely because of the Jon factor and they might not want it in canon that Lois and Clark ever had experience fostering any other child. Another pre-FP event that's out is the whole New Krypton saga, as we saw Kandor very much still in its bottled state and not destroyed at the beginning of Bendis' run (well, of course until Rogol Zaar proceeded to destroy it on his own). To date anything also involving Kon-El and the Kents has to just be assumed to have happened without them entirely, unless Doomsday Clock brings them back.

Unlike Kon-El and the Kents though, I'm pretty confident that even in light of potential Doomsday Clock restorations, Chris will not be among them. I think DC just considers him as he was superfluous at this point and has plans to roll with the new version as part of the "mirror" family of the Zods vs. the Els.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-01-2018 at 12:45 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El