Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Or like in the Insomniac game have Pete come to grips with the fact that he's not a god and can't save everyone. It was insane for Pete to be THAT dead set on saving her that he'd be willing to wreck reality to save her. I was halfway expecting it to be a temporary thing where it got undone shortly afterwards.

The core idea of the story --Splitting up MJ and Peter-- isnt without merit (I myself am not a fan of it since writers shitty excuses about how 'Marriage is Haaaaard' to write are ridiculous, I can literally give you a Spider couple 4 issue story arc) you can get milleage from other relationships etc

The actual execution was utterly terrible however. One of the worst stories I've ever seen with the clearest executive mandate ever. I'm still not entirely sure if it was constructed by JMS to be intentionally terrible.

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

Or you know.... don't have Auny May get shot at all? Or at least not in some fatal area?

Now that Peter and MJ are back together, what if they decide to get married later on? Will Mephisto make Aunt May suddenly drop dead?

The only way OMD would have worked is if Pete made the deal and Aunt May dropped dead the next day anyway making him realized he was tricked. Then he'd have to work out some way to get out of Mephisto's deal which in the end would somehow bring back both May and the marriage.
    Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
    I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    One problem with the idea that anyone should have been able to help May is that there isn't an explanation about what they can do. There are vague references to healing, but the process isn't explained. If someone has magic healing powers, they can fix a broken bone by repairing it, they can rebuild broken part of organs, they might be able to remove an infection, they might be able to temporarily increase the multiplication rate of white blood cells.) But these things would not help someone wake up from a coma. There are too many unknowns about the physical processes that would be required to pull that off.
    I still say in a world of super geniuses and god-like entities healing one old woman is doable. I simply don't believe Mephisto's intervention was the only possible solution that would keep May alive; such a stance is a false dichotomy there are so many other options than even those Peter explored or failed to fully explore as I see it. We've seen these same beings accomplish far more difficult tasks over the years. Out of universe, the people who write these comics are also far more creative than that.
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-30-2018 at 10:49 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    To me One More Day is not a story that should never been told in the Spider-Man stories.
    The One More Day have similarities with Faust,a story that is a classic of literature,that have been adaptated in other literary,artistic,cinematic and musical works.
    The point of Faust is: do not make deals with devils, for they will backfire and blow up in your face. Also, the devil is evil.
    The point of One More Day is: devils are awesome, their deals are the best, they keep their end of the bargain, and there is no fine print or bad side effects.
    Last edited by Carabas; 09-30-2018 at 11:43 AM.

It could have been told.

Just not for canon.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 2Thumbs View Post
    That and it retconned 20 years of comics, making a lifetime collection useless and worth no more than a roll of toilet paper.

OMD and EVERY issue published since is complete and utter garbage. Even now that they're back together, that relationship is tainted by the fact that they're picking up a relationship that us, as readers, HAVE NEVER SEEN.

The struggles that this couple has 'overcome' and have been referenced for the last decade all 'happened' off screen, so there's no reason to be invested in them. There's no reason to care. Until they get their memories back, if ever, this new relationship is built on lies, cashing in on nostalgia for when Spidey comics were actually good. Marvel and Spencer are pandering, laughing and pissing on us while telling us it's raining. The worst part is that some people are drinking it and swear it's water.
    Virtually nothing happened "off-screen" with Peter and MJ. Even most of the anti-OMD fans seem to at least understand that. Every moment of their relationship, save for the wedding itself, happened just as it appears in every back issue except they didn't refer to each other as a married couple. That's it. They still remember everything, everything they went through is still a matter of canon (again, save for the actual wedding). So this take of "we've never seen this relationship" is just flat-out ridiculous.

But hey, it's (over) reactions like this that make me happy OMD did happen.

I don't care for the story at all but if it continues to make fragile people lose their minds, it at least served some positive purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Virtually nothing happened "off-screen" with Peter and MJ. Even most of the anti-OMD fans seem to at least understand that. Every moment of their relationship, save for the wedding itself, happened just as it appears in every back issue except they didn't refer to each other as a married couple. That's it. They still remember everything, everything they went through is still a matter of canon (again, save for the actual wedding). So this take of "we've never seen this relationship" is just flat-out ridiculous.

But hey, it's (over) reactions like this that make me happy OMD did happen.

I don't care for the story at all but if it continues to make fragile people lose their minds, it at least served some positive purpose
    Well, this escalated into back and forth semi-personal attacks/group smearing rather quickly. Of course, this is a OMD thread so what else should I have expected? One just can't have a mature discussion about this topic even ten years later emotions continue to run high.
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-30-2018 at 11:42 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    The point of Faust is: do not make deals with devils, for they will backfire and blow up with your face. Also, the devil is evil.
    The point of One More Day is: devils are awesome, their deals are the best, they keep their end of the bargain, and there is no fine print or bad side effects.
    I would have liked OMD so much better of Peter used his brain and screwed Mephisto over. It's not like Mephisto is omniscient. We've seen him get screwed over before. When Mephisto made a deal with Thanos for a cosmic cube, Thanos agree, but gave Mephisto an empty cube.

Also, how can Mephisto alter time without making an alternate universe?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Also, how can Mephisto alter time without making an alternate universe?
    I think that particular rule for time travel went bye bye ages ago.

BANNED

It's been heavily indicated over the last two years Mephisto altered Peter and MJ's memories, he didn't time travel

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I think that particular rule for time travel went bye bye ages ago.
    Yeah, even MC2 ignored the rule in Spider-Girl: The End. Their excuse was they had modified Doom's time machine

Zdarsky just did an alt timeline created by time travel.

Fantastic Member

one more day would have been fine if it ended with Peter refusing mephisto's affer and accepting the fact that life needs to go on without his aunt may but then she should have never been brought back after issue 400 in the first place, her time in spider-man comics has long outlived its usefulness.

Sin's past is the spider-man story that should have never happened, worst spidey story ever.
    DC: Action Comics, Batman, Batman/Superman, Batman and Robin, Batman Off World, Detective Comics, Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, JG: Flash, JL vs. Godzilla, JSA, Nightwing, Shazam, Superman, Titans, Beast World

Marvel: Amazing Spider-Man, Fall of the House of X, Fantastic Four, Resurrection of Magneto, Spectacular Spider-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man, WolverineL Madripoor Knights, X-Men

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Zdarsky just did an alt timeline created by time travel.
    It's still used every now and then, but it is no longer the established rule for how timetravel works in the MU.

Science fiction that doesn't have some sort of at least quasi-foundation is just magic.