Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    Why would it be different?

other than the lipstick problem... obviously
    he can easily become a female human to get around that. anyways what I was getting at was that do you feel he has a unique Martian physiology that allows him to turn invisible by rendering himself intangible so that the rays pass through him or does he just cloud minds or does he alter his body so that it doesn't reflect light or what have you since you seem to be determined to work out on the essential point of how invisibility works in fictional settings so so thought I would throw you a bone.
    Last edited by theoneandonly; 10-01-2018 at 02:05 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    he can easily become a female human to get around that. anyways what I was getting at was that do you feel he has a unique Martian physiology that allows him to turn invisible by rendering himself intangible so that the rays pass through him or does he just cloud minds or does he alter his body so that it doesn't reflect light or what have you since you seem to be determined to work out on the essential point of how invisibility works in fictional settings so so thought I would throw you a bone.
    Well, the lipstick would get stuck in the floor and he would rip his lips apart.

I think his invisibility might be a seperate power the result of the manipulation of light, FWIW
    Last edited by mrbrklyn; 10-01-2018 at 02:27 PM.

Deleted a couple of posts, so let me make a few things clear:

1. No one tells anyone how/when/what to post other than the mods. If you don't like someone's language, but it's not breaking the rules, then that's the other poster's right. If you feel someone has violated the rules, use the 'report' button in the bottom left of each message.

2. Discuss the topic, not other posters. Name calling and personal taunts/insults are a violation of the forum rules. If it continues, bans will follow.

Otherwise, stick to the topic, be civil and enjoy
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    The Martian’s “invisibility” may be brought about by him using his mental powers to manipulate the viewers minds, rather than manipulating light as Sue does...
    It works on robots and such, so it's probably 'proper' invisibility.

Of course I suppose he can fall back on psychic invisibility if he runs into somebody who can see invisible things...

Incredible Member

Man people take these videos way out of context. Stressing out over nothing.

The guy doesn’t criticize superhero powers, he just uses them to educate people about science.

How do people live with overreactions to nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It works on robots and such, so it's probably 'proper' invisibility.

Of course I suppose he can fall back on psychic invisibility if he runs into somebody who can see invisible things...
    Yes...I think that (about robots) is a telling point, he probably does have “proper” invisibility. (After all, ability to mentally reprogram machine is one of few powers I have not seen credited with at some point or other.)

But on other hand it’s not much of a stretch that he could use psychic invisibility against a human/ sentient alien who could see in infra red spectrum or some such. (Mind you..off hand can’t recall any story where he did that..or even cast an illusion.)

Let’s turn this upside down for a minute. Videos like this are about teaching scientific ideas in ways that make you think and engage your imagination. They are not really about demonstrating superheroes are infeasible because obviously they are infeasible.

Superheroes in general are written in a fantasy genre. They don’t attempt to be realistic. They are power fantasies, something that used to be used to knock the genre when it was less mainstream and therefore less understood. The Marvel revolution was to consider the down-sides of powers in a similar way to victorian horror and to shift the focus from the more modern pulp genre that spawned superheroes. They also applied those downsides to the characters’ psyche and personality.

So instead of worrying about how invisibility powers work, writers nowadays are more likely to consider why a character might desire invisibility, and how invisibility would impact their world-view and emotional outlook.

BANNED

Well, the lipstick would get stuck in the floor and he would rip his lips apart.

I think his invisibility might be a seperate power the result of the manipulation of light, FWIW
    apparently you are ignorant of the martians ability to manipulate the density of objects other than themselves as seen when John ghosted Superman in the fernus arc though admittedly they are not shown using this ability frequently. Anyways its clear you have no idea about how the power works nor "video evidence" to offer why it would or wouldn't work in this case or do you?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    apparently you are ignorant of the martians ability to manipulate the density of objects other than themselves as seen when John ghosted Superman in the fernus arc though admittedly they are not shown using this ability frequently. Anyways its clear you have no idea about how the power works nor "video evidence" to offer why it would or wouldn't work in this case or do you?
    I sadly have to admit that I have been ignorant of the Maritans powers visa-vi lipstick or other objects that he might be able to ghost or manipulate the denisty of. In comics, even with the Invisible Girl, lipstick can be pretty dense. If Jonzz Jonzz is capable of affecting the denisty of said lipstick, whether he is of a male form or in a female form, or if Susan could do the same, I would be interested in evidence of that. Even the testimoney of the characters would be adequate proof of such ability. I have been ignorant on this matter for far to long and it is about time that such matters care clarified and rectified.

I sadly have to admit that I have been ignorant of the Maritans powers visa-vi lipstick or other objects that he might be able to ghost or manipulate the denisty of. In comics, even with the Invisible Girl, lipstick can be pretty dense. If Jonzz Jonzz is capable of affecting the denisty of said lipstick, whether he is of a male form or in a female form, or if Susan could do the same, I would be interested in evidence of that. Even the testimoney of the characters would be adequate proof of such ability. I have been ignorant on this matter for far to long and it is about time that such matters care clarified and rectified.
    I don't understand the lipstick thing. Sue can also make anything other than herself invisible, that would include lipstick.

Sue's power of bending light is much more refined than people think. It just doesn't provide as many cool opportunities as her force-fields so it rarely gets the spotlight.
    She can even do things like this:

Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    So instead of worrying about how invisibility powers work, writers nowadays are more likely to consider why a character might desire invisibility, and how invisibility would impact their world-view and emotional outlook.
    Ever read Fanstastic Four #65??

BANNED

Ever read Fanstastic Four #65??

I think there was a backhanded social comment built into this about invissiblity and Sues role in the FF which was rapidly changing at the time.

Invincible Member

I think there was a backhanded social comment built into this about invissiblity and Sues role in the FF which was rapidly changing at the time.
    This scene is actually sorta reinforcing that old style chauvanism...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    This scene is actually sorta reinforcing that old style chauvanism...
    The scene is about a loving couple who are developing there evolving relationship, and are comforatable enought to be playful, yet respectful It is not like 50 shades of grey. It is in the character of Susan and Reed Richards.

The point was, though, that it addresses how ones powers affects the hero who pocesses them.. as per the previous post.
    Last edited by mrbrklyn; 10-06-2018 at 08:05 PM.