Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

Default Batman: Damned (DC's Black Label) - Discussion

What are your thoughts about the book that launched DC's new imprint, Black Label?

Did you find it a good read? just decent? or outright terrible?

DC-Black-Label-Batman-Damned-by-Azzarello-and-Bermejo.jpg
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

As far as I'm concerned, a really fascinating read for several reasons.

- I've always held Bermejo's depiction of Gotham City as my personal favourite. It probably wouldn't work in the main continuity, but that's how you depict an ugly city: a sprawling mass of somber, grey buildings with no redeeming qualities or sense of aesthetic only sometimes interrupted by oppressive leviathans of rusty iron. A perfect incapsulation of man-made hell that works on a more visceral level than the crazy art-deco designs of traditional Gotham.

- I'll be honest, I've never been a fan of Zatanna. Nothing in her characterization ever did anything for me. But somehow, the street magician / swindler schtick that Azzarello came up with for her managed to make me want to see more of her in the next issues. Shell game beats stage magic 10 - 0.

- The morbid reimagining of Deadman's power to possess people and the graphic reinterpretation of his costume given by Bermejo make for a great combo that gives a great boost to the creepy factor in what would otherwise be a pretty innocuous scene. In a horror book the likes of Damned this feels very appropriate.

- Borrowing the character design of the Enchantress from Suicide Squad was a spot-on choice, to the point that I wonder if Azzarello didn't choose that character because of how absolutely ghastly Cara Delevingne looked in that movie (at least before getting her heart back). The two parts where she appears to young Bruce are perfectly handled in how the child seems both repulsed and inexorably allured by the supernatural entity (a topos of the horror genre that is unfortunately not always presented effectively).

- The introduction of an extra-marital affair between Thomas Wayne and another woman during Bruce's childhood may be a problematic (to say the least) concept in the main continuity, makes for a really intriguing (and definitely unexpected) facet of the great mystery at the heart of the story in here. Perhaps it'll be a severe disappointment, but I can't wait for issue #2 to see how it's evolving.

In the end, issue #1 gets a 8.5 with a positive outlook for future issues from me.

I thought it was a good read. It reminded me of the recent justice league dark movie and the setup of the mystery with the integration of the supernatural is done well.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 10-01-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Fantastic Member

I loved Dini's Streets of Gotham; this has pulled several elements and plot points from it and a few other just-before-reboot Batman comics that deserved exploring. Marla Elliot and Thomas Wayne having an affair makes sense with what has been established about the characters. Marla always been depicted as a gold digger, and it was explicitly stated a couple of times that she wouldn't leave her husband until she had a better prospect lined up.

As for Thomas Wayne being a paragon of virtue? Most writers in the last 25 years agree that was because of Martha being a social justice warrior, prior to her Thomas was smart, good hearted, had dubious ethics, a drinking and drug problem, and a womanizer. We generally view him through Bruce's eyes, and Bruce has continuously been established as an unreliable narrator.

Bruce being surrounded by and/or demons and the supernatural as a child was another element that writers started playing with throughout the 90s and 00s, starting with Gothic (which I have to give Morrison some serious side eye for as that's the first story he wrote with Bruce being sexually assaulted) where he was stalked by a 300 year old serial killer, and ending with the Dark Knight Golden Dawn story just before reboot where his first crush was a member of a demonic cult. That story even had the kite theme that King is fond of. Going back and exploring that is interesting. People also tend to forget due to Young Justice that Zatanna and Bruce have been childhood friends since she was created as a character, Zatara was a close friend of Thomas Wayne (and for that matter Ra's al Ghul, which wasn't just a Tynion thing, that's pre-reboot as well). Having her be part of this, hopefully with that traditional history, adds a great potential layer to the story.

Zatanna being a street hustler again is nice. It's one of her old character traits, along with a fondness for dressing down in her off time in t-shirts and sweats or shorts with sneakers. It also grounds her as most successful magicians in real life practice street magic and hustling to keep sharp.

The narrator is obnoxious. Cutting that out and leaving just the dialogue would vastly improve the story. Otherwise I'm enjoying it and looking forward to the next issue. It's good to have a Batman Batman story again. Deathstroke vs Batman was nice, even though Bruce was holding the idiot ball the entire time, but otherwise we haven't had a decent Batman solving things and being a BAMF since All Star Batman. That's two years of nothing much happening except Bruce being a dumbass to build up other characters or advance an unrealistic plot. A good detective story is a delightful change.

BANNED

If they put it on track, i will support it.
    They publish an installment with intense material only to rate it later. Issues two and three of Dawned are getting a delay and no words whatsoever on Superman Year One, the WW projects and no release date for Three Jokers and Last Knight on Earth.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    They publish an installment with intense material only to rate it later. Issues two and three of Dawned are getting a delay and no words whatsoever on Superman Year One, the WW projects and no release date for Three Jokers and Last Knight on Earth.

Not sure where I can buy this without playing ridiculous prices.

Apparently the trade is going to be censored.

Fantastic Member

I thought it was great it is a little annoying though that the artist for this book is so amazing and the thing that everyone is focusing on is one panel of human that you can only really see if you are actively looking for it. The fact that people are getting bent out of shape over adult content in an adult book is kind of ridiculous to me there are some retailers even refusing to sell it because of that one panel. Which is sad because I think this is a great start for the Black Label Line.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    If they're delaying two & three does that mean there was much more than just bruce being nude? Other Black label 17+ stuff?

They obviously made money from the stunt otherwise places wouldn't be selling the issue for $100+ censorship is never called for especially when it's something artistic and it was tastefully done. It wasn't like he whipped it out while fighting.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    If they're delaying two & three does that mean there was much more than just bruce being nude? Other Black label 17+ stuff?

They obviously made money from the stunt otherwise places wouldn't be selling the issue for $100+ censorship is never called for especially when it's something artistic and it was tastefully done. It wasn't like he whipped it out while fighting.
    Scalpers are making that money not DC, DC is still selling it for the regular price, scalpers are raising it if it was a stunt meant to make more money they would have done massive printings of this book I get the feeling the artist just did what he wanted and it was not an issue until someone made a big deal out of it. Literally I saw people saying they would never allow their kids to read Batman again because of this not bothering to look up that the book was meant for adult readers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by reni344 View Post
    Scalpers are making that money not DC, DC is still selling it for the regular price, scalpers are raising it if it was a stunt meant to make more money they would have done massive printings of this book I get the feeling the artist just did what he wanted and it was not an issue until someone made a big deal out of it.
    It created a buzz and a demand for the book which is what most business what for their product.

Literally I saw people saying they would never allow their kids to read Batman again because of this not bothering to look up that the book was meant for adult readers.
    Where are these mythical parents who still buy physical hard copies of comics for their children? Where are the shop owners that then tell those parents "this is an adult book" ?

DC should have stood their ground. It's not like they don't see the issue before it goes to print.

Spectacular Member

It created a buzz and a demand for the book which is what most business what for their product.

Where are these mythical parents who still buy physical hard copies of comics for their children? Where are the shop owners that then tell those parents "this is an adult book" ?

DC should have stood their ground. It's not like they don't see the issue before it goes to print.
    Is intended to buy this as a black label batman, but if they are censoring the trade I won't bother. What's the point in a censored black label?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Oh, I know how that happened. They're not comic buyers, they go to regular bookstores to find a gift for their kids, they don't bring their kids, and because they assume all comics are for kids, they didn't bother to ask the clerk to find comics for kids. The most they'll ask is where is the comic aisle. For all the clerks know they are buying for themselves, so they don't have any reason to tell them.

Now, these parents probably will not buy Batman Damned once they see the cover, but they heard from the news before they even have a chance to look at the cover, before they even go to the shop. They made their decision after reading the news.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-11-2018 at 01:20 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Oh, I know how that happened. They're not comic buyers, they go to regular bookstores to find a gift for their kids, they don't bring their kids, and because they assume all comics are for kids, they didn't bother to ask the clerk to find comics for kids. The most they'll ask is where is the comic aisle. For all the clerks know they are buying for themselves, so they don't have any reason to tell them.

Now, these parents probably will not buy Batman Damned once they see the cover, but they heard from the news before they even have a chance to look at the cover, before they even go to the shop. They made their decision after reading the news.
    the same parents that will buy their 7 yr old kids GTA

Astonishing Member

The fact that people are getting bent out of shape over adult content in an adult book is kind of ridiculous to me there are some retailers even refusing to sell it because of that one panel. Which is sad because I think this is a great start for the Black Label Line.
    Thank you.

Doctor Manhattan strolls sans pants for decades with no problem. Batman undresses in shadows and the sky is falling.

I just love the irony; we can see Barbara maimed and Jason killed but not Bruce nude. (After all, violence is natural but being undressed is just NOT!)

To the Powers that Be at DC comics:

If YOU are not able to handle these situations, then YOU are not mature enough for Black Label.
    Last edited by scary harpy; 10-12-2018 at 07:49 PM.

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

So was all the 'Black Label' hubbub only on the first issue? Issue 2 and 3 didn't have any such examples?
    Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
    I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/