Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I can certainly see the appeal of that idea, but, given the renewed focus on moving forward while also re-embracing the past that Rebirth brought in, I don't see DC going that route. If they want a rebooted day one continuity, they can nuke Earth One and shift more and more focus to that line if it proves successful. Only a handful of people actually liked JMS's Superman Earth One, Johns & Frank's Batman Earth One story is about to wrap up, Morrison's Wonder Woman Earth One only has one more to go, nobody liked or remembers Teen Titans Earth One and Green Lantern Earth One exists as its own thing anyway.
    I like Teen Titans Earth One. (I don't care if I ever see it again, but I like it!).

That said, the "re-embracing the past" Rebirth brought up didn't really pan out. They pretended to do so for a while, but DC right now sure as hell has absolutely no respect for all the things they said they were "bringing back". And once the JSA gets back, it will be a short amount of time until they start being treated like crap, too. So, personally, I'd prefer a "hardcore, no one gets out alive reboot, forget absolutely everything and everyone you like, this is actual new stuff" style reboot.

It's not gonna happen, but I'd be more than fine with that. Finer then with what they're trying right now for the 11th time, anyway.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I like Teen Titans Earth One. (I don't care if I ever see it again, but I like it!).

That said, the "re-embracing the past" Rebirth brought up didn't really pan out. They pretended to do so for a while, but DC right now sure as hell has absolutely no respect for all the things they said they were "bringing back". And once the JSA gets back, it will be a short amount of time until they start being treated like crap, too. So, personally, I'd prefer a "hardcore, no one gets out alive reboot, forget absolutely everything and everyone you like, this is actual new stuff" style reboot.

It's not gonna happen, but I'd be more than fine with that. Finer then with what they're trying right now for the 11th time, anyway.
    I dunno, Rebirth seems to have panned out for Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, and Justice League--all of which are embracing their pasts, but also moving forward. Plus, Super-Sons has been amazing and is essentially the mission statement of the whole Rebirth concept. That said, Wonder Woman is still on shakey ground. Aquaman has been a bore (except when Sejic was on art) and I still don't think anybody has come up a game plan for any of the Titans, Barry Allen or Wally West that works at all, but overall, I think Rebirth has been a success, critically and financially for DC.

I appreciate that a lot of fans still feel left out in the cold for too long like JSA and LSH fans, though.

Astonishing Member

Well...there will definitely be SOME reconfiguration, especially with the reveal that Manhattan messed up the JSA's history to wipe the team from existence. That's obviously something that's gonna be reversed, and it might have a ripple effect on the rest of the DCU.

That said, we actually don't know a LOT about the current Rebirth timeline, so its possible that we might simply get definitive reveals about certain issues as opposed to continuity changes.

There are some things which need to be clarified. The history of the JL and the Titans. How a lot of Superman's history works with Jon. Wonder Woman's history too could do with some explanation. As well as the history of the Flash Family.

Ultimately, I think DC will take the Marvel approach to continuity, maybe in an even looser sense. But a few specifics do need to be nailed down.

We really don’t know if the JSA are coming back in High Lord Supreme Dan Didio’s DC universe. After all they aren’t important because they aren’t silver age characters.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    We really don’t know if the JSA are coming back in High Lord Supreme Dan Didio’s DC universe. After all they aren’t important because they aren’t silver age characters.
    There'll probably be a "JSA" (or something resembling it) coming up.
    How connected it will be to THE classic "Justice Society of America" (at least in its history/backstory) is the big question mark in my mind.

Spectacular Member

I was thinking about this recently and am very disappointed, but I do feel like this may be the route things are now going. I have felt for the past few months that Rebirth has ended and we are in a new era. I started reading because of how Rebirth was tying the past back into everything, but the vibe right now is that they are doing something different. I don't have anything on my pull list anymore, once Mister Miracle ends. Sad.

DC seems to not want to let go of some 52 things. Snyder's Batman was a huge success and they are not keen on taking away the Court of Owls and some of the other concepts introduced there. So I don't see them just going back to pre-Flashpoint. It would have been better if they had maybe taken a phased approach to bringing things back, but it seems to have dropped off since the Rebirth banner was dropped.

The Cyborg TT/JLA mess needs to be fixed. Teen Titans in general, the history is so screwed up now. There is no reason Cyborg could not have graduated to the JLA, he does not need to be a founder.

I feel for you LoSH and JSA fans, but DC seems more concerned with the bigger sellers, which is Batman, Superman and the Justice League. LoSH seems like it would be a no-brainer, it's the future, so you don't have to tie it to what is currently going on in your universe. JSA is somewhat trickier unless you untie them from WWII.

Not a Wonder Woman reader, but from what I read online and the solicits, sounds like they have just screwed her up more and more.

You also have all the "legacy" characters that need fixing or to return: Tim, Cass, Kon, Bart, Conner Hawke, Wally, etc.

I think they've gone too far now to just go back to New Earth. They may use some of these "event" stories to shore up the mishmash of Pre-FP and New52 that is Rebirth.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I think they would likely reboot again relatively soon, though 2019-2020 seems early. The Flashpoint-New 52-Rebirth era of continuity is getting way too complicated she Doomsday Clock will add to that for newer readers. If creative control shifts I can also see that used to wipe away aspects that TPTB dislike (should Didio still reign, Dick will no longer be referred to as such, Wally will not be back and Superman's marriage will be reversed, for example).

I like Rebirth, but having a reboot that wasn't a reboot and mashing it together with the continuity it changed creates a lot of headaches I wouldn't blame them for trying to resolve, regardless of I like the results.

Astonishing Member

I can certainly see the appeal of that idea, but, given the renewed focus on moving forward while also re-embracing the past that Rebirth brought in, I don't see DC going that route. If they want a rebooted day one continuity, they can nuke Earth One and shift more and more focus to that line if it proves successful. Only a handful of people actually liked JMS's Superman Earth One, Johns & Frank's Batman Earth One story is about to wrap up, Morrison's Wonder Woman Earth One only has one more to go, nobody liked or remembers Teen Titans Earth One and Green Lantern Earth One exists as its own thing anyway.
    Teen Titans Earth One got too much hate and was decent at worst. It was a lot better than most of the TT and Titans stuff we got this year.

That being said, after Rebirth the best thing to do would be to start over from scratch and hope that things come out better than the last reboot. The writers may try to restore the lost time after Manhattan is dealt with but I have no faith that they will do it properly. No matter what DC does at this point, the timeline is botched until the next reboot.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Remember that rumor we got a few months back of another Crisis? One of the reasons that got circulated was because the source was supposedly someone actually at DC. So it's not outside the realm of possibility they are considering a hard reboot. It's not a secret that's exactly what Didio and Lee want. Johns is kind of the lone holdout of all the creative officers. But fans are sick of reboots. I can't imagine there is any support for this outside of the DC offices. Plus, New 52, much as I may have liked some of it, left a bad taste in most fans mouths. In other words, even if you support the idea, do you trust the current regime to do it properly? I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility they will go for the hard reboot around 2020.
    Assassinate Putin!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Remember that rumor we got a few months back of another Crisis? One of the reasons that got circulated was because the source was supposedly someone actually at DC. So it's not outside the realm of possibility they are considering a hard reboot. It's not a secret that's exactly what Didio and Lee want. Johns is kind of the lone holdout of all the creative officers. But fans are sick of reboots. I can't imagine there is any support for this outside of the DC offices. Plus, New 52, much as I may have liked some of it, left a bad taste in most fans mouths. In other words, even if you support the idea, do you trust the current regime to do it properly? I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility they will go for the hard reboot around 2020.
    Jim Lee, Scott Snyder and others have all debunked that rumor.

Remember, Bleeding Cool makes money based upon how many people click on their articles, not how accurate they are. Remember how they said Morrison & Sharp's Green Lantern book was going to be about Hal Jordan journeying across the Multiverse after finding out it was dying? Rumors are often scraps of information that are easily misinterpreted or taken out of context.

If DC is planning a hard reboot, I think you can be pretty certain it won't be of the main DCU Earth. Earth-1 and Earth-2? Sure, but Earth-0 ain't getting a hard reboot any time soon after how badly the New 52 panned out for them.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    But fans are sick of reboots.
    I'm not. I'm sick of a lot of stuff, but reboot away, I say.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Considering how many times the backstory timeline has changed the past 10 years, from 25 to 5 to 10 to 15 years, ideally I want a relaunch. At the very least they need one FCBD issue charting the definitive timeline.

Hell it doesn't even have to be Earth 1 if they had some reason to want to preserve the OGN name and/or had more plans for it. Earth-2 is no longer in use. But even beyond that you can slap any number or letter on it as a designation and it'd be fine. Its certainly not mandatory it be 1 or 2 just because it follows 0. It'd be tidy but not necessary.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Given the Didio and Lee power camp within the halls of DC Comics, I sincerely doubt Geoff's reach will affect the current status quo of the DCU. The only changes I see is the reintroduction of the Legion and of course, the JSA.
    I see everyone's fate but my own. Sometimes that scares me. But when I see the future of someone such as yourself, I believe in tomorrow again

Staff writer at www.impulsegamer.com