Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Default Potential Different empowering for Shazamily

For those of you who like the power sharing, this is not meant to tear down that power origin. I think that’s a good way to go. This is merely a what if.

I was pondering the Black Adam family, and I realized something. While Osiris was granted his power by Black Adam (similar to the relationship between Captain Marvel and Captain Marvel Jr), Isis was powered by an entirely separate manner, specifically the pendant of Isis.

Assuming we keep Freddy gaining powers from Billy and Mary having her own set, what would you think of Pedro, Darla, and/or Eugene being empowered through a similar means to Isis. You could use the Fishook of Maui, or Excalibur, or Artemis’ bow.

Suddenly adding power amulets into the SHAZAM mythos sounds a bit unnecessarily contrived.
    ISIS used one on the show, so great keep it for her.
    If anything they should keep her unique.

The simple point of the Lieutenant Marvels, (once Tall Billy, Hill Billy Fat Billy) now Darla, Eugena and Pedro, is Billy does something nobody expected, share the power with them, as well with Mary and Freddy, in so doing, he gains a new family.
    This sharing seems a big part of Billy's set-up and how things play out.
    Attributing their powers to random amulets or totems suddenly, seems arbitrary and pointless.

However in your other SHAZAM "Set" thread - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...514-Shazam-set

It was suggested the other kids could be channeling other deities, from many mythologies, that form their own SHAZAM acronym.
    Would love to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    I'm fine with Billy keeping his more traditional Pantheon.
    Although I wouldn't mind if Marry had the all female pantheon again,
    Further if the other kids ever get full powers, maybe mix it up even more.
    With Pedro using an Aztec, Mayan, Inca pantheon, Eugene a more Asian deities, , Darla some African deities, and Freddy I actually wish instead of blond, they had made him part Native American, and he could invoke deities similar to the Alt. Earth Captain THUNDER!

Or now with this more Thor like look, just have it be Norse deities
    Honestly at this point there is no reason anyone has to stick to a specific ethnicity or gender for their champions, they could all just mix it up and any of the kids, should be able to call on identify with and channel deities and powers from all.
    It's up to a clever writer how steeped in world mythological deities and pantheons they want to get, what really matters is they just spell out the magic acronym SHAZAM!

Another visual thought on this...

Even easier than explaining it, would be a simple visual depiction:
    A clever illustrator depicting the famous S H A Z A M pantheon scroll or wall pointed to by the Wizard, could highlight the classics, Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles and Mercury, but also illustrate like an infinite repeating mirror effect; where you also see several other names reflected behind, and ahead those main names.
    So they all exist at once, all using the appropriate first letter.

I gues it's hard to describe, an artist graphic designer, would get exactly what I'm talking about.
    And visually while it highlights the familiar ones, it also implies the magic has always been pulling from and channeling all these myth and legendary champions through time.

Just Billy has focused on one particular "set", yet there have always been more out there.
    We know Mary has channeled her own, as well as Teth Adam.

Edit: the best I could find is this image...
    Imagine Billy looking at the classic name scroll or wall, then as he shifts his POV, the scroll is revealed to be more like a window, the letters S H A Z A M, each represented by a main color lights right in front of the girl... Those would spell out the classics, Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles and Mercury, then all the other Pantheon names infinitely built off those main letters.
    Implication being they are all there, they always have been.

It would simultaneously acknowledges the classic (doesn't deny it), yet also expands on it.

Last edited by Güicho; 10-01-2018 at 12:52 PM.

Suddenly adding power amulets into the SHAZAM mythos sounds a bit unnecessarily contrived.
    ISIS used one on the show, so great keep it for her.
    If anything they should keep her unique.

The simple point of the Lieutenant Marvels, (once Tall Billy, Hill Billy Fat Billy) now Darla, Eugena and Pedro, is Billy does something nobody expected, share the power with them, as well with Mary and Freddy, in so doing, he gains a new family.
    This sharing seems a big part of Billy's set-up and how things play out.
    Attributing their powers to random amulets or totems suddenly, seems arbitrary and pointless.

However in your other SHAZAM "Set" thread - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...514-Shazam-set

It was suggested the other kids could be channeling other deities, from many mythologies, that form their own SHAZAM acronym.
    Would love to see that.
    Honestly, after a bit of thought, I agree with you, and I do stand by the multiple figures to mix things up.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Shazamily - I love it!
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Definitely not trying to yuck anyone's yum, but I like the power sharing aspect for the reason Güicho stated - it shows Billy creating and connecting to a family in an emotional and magical way.

I like that Billy and Mary might have a more special connection and power set to the Lightning, given their biological family ties, but also that each of the other Shazamily members might have a particular power highlighted when Shazamified, that's slightly different than Billy and Mary.

With power-sharing, I also like that it might make each of the characters less powerful as an individual, but more powerful as a unit. Like a team, or a, wait for it...family.

I have no idea how they'll go regarding the gods empowering Billy and the fam or if it'll revert back to just the magical Living Lightning as Johns first introduced, before they changed it up to the gods again. Something else to consider is that I hope that Mary finds she is able to call on the powers by herself, but the other kids have to rely on Billy sharing the power with them to transform into their heroic identities. There could be some drama and teen angst and vulnerability and wish fulfillment themes to explore within that and a family structure - given the personalities and nature of each of the kids and reasons why they like being Shazamified and needing to rely on Billy to do so.

I love the aside comment that Black Adam made that Billy obviously didn't understand the full extent of his powers or power-sharing abilities with others or animal companions, before he naturally figured out how to do it. It's great that there are some mysteries about the powers that Billy and his family will have to learn to "unlock." I'm looking forward to them learning from the Wizard or other magical beings or histories of other characters through time, after Black Adam but before Billy, who were champions. (That suit of armor makes me think there might have been a medieval Shazam character, or at least one from another realm of magic.)

That all said, I wouldn't be upset if the Shazamily got their powers from different sets of gods - it'd just be a lot to remember with the six of them. Haha...

I'm also hoping this means we get a Black Marvel family again, that includes Isis and Osiris...and maybe a new version of Sobek if we're going to have Tawny and Hoppy show up from time to time. I'm down with Isis accessing her own powers that are separate from the powers of Shazam.

Past that, I'm kind of obsessed with the sixes and sevens in the Shazam mythos:
    - they'll be visiting seven magical realms
    - the Seven Deadly Sins of humanity
    - the Council of Eternity is/was seven in number
    - the Shazamily numbers in six human characters (sorry Tawny)
    - Sivana, if we get to Thaddeus Jr., Georgia, Magnificus, Beautia, and Sivana's wife, Portia, are six in number. (Yeah, this one is a stretch, but I'd love to see the theme of family play out with the Sivanas against the Shazamily, including the Sivana matriarch. The Shazam mythos could use some more women characters - heroines, villainesses, and everything in between.)
    Last edited by WonderScott; 10-01-2018 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Definitely not trying to yuck anyone's yum, but I like the power sharing aspect for the reason Güicho stated - it shows Billy creating and connecting to a family in an emotional and magical way.

I like that Billy and Mary might have a more special connection and power set to the Lightning, given their biological family ties, but also that each of the other Shazamily members might have a particular power highlighted when Shazamified, that's slightly different than Billy and Mary.

With power-sharing, I also like that it might make each of the characters less powerful as an individual, but more powerful as a unit. Like a team, or a, wait for it...family.

I have no idea how they'll go regarding the gods empowering Billy and the fam or if it'll revert back to just the magical Living Lightning as Johns first introduced, before they changed it up to the gods again. Something else to consider is that I hope that Mary finds she is able to call on the powers by herself, but the other kids have to rely on Billy sharing the power with them to transform into their heroic identities. There could be some drama and teen angst and vulnerability and wish fulfillment themes to explore within that and a family structure - given the personalities and nature of each of the kids and reasons why they like being Shazamified and needing to rely on Billy to do so.

I love the aside comment that Black Adam made that Billy obviously didn't understand the full extent of his powers or power-sharing abilities with others or animal companions, before he naturally figured out how to do it. It's great that there are some mysteries about the powers that Billy and his family will have to learn to "unlock." I'm looking forward to them learning from the Wizard or other magical beings or histories of other characters through time, after Black Adam but before Billy, who were champions. (That suit of armor makes me think there might have been a medieval Shazam character, or at least one from another realm of magic.)

That all said, I wouldn't be upset if the Shazamily got their powers from different sets of gods - it'd just be a lot to remember with the six of them. Haha...

I'm also hoping this means we get a Black Marvel family again, that includes Isis and Osiris...and maybe a new version of Sobek if we're going to have Tawny and Hoppy show up from time to time. I'm down with Isis accessing her own powers that are separate from the powers of Shazam.

Past that, I'm kind of obsessed with the sixes and sevens in the Shazam mythos:
    - they'll be visiting seven magical realms
    - the Seven Deadly Sins of humanity
    - the Council of Eternity is/was seven in number
    - the Shazamily numbers in six human characters (sorry Tawny)
    - Sivana, if we get to Thaddeus Jr., Georgia, Magnificus, Beautia, and Sivana's wife, Portia, are six in number. (Yeah, this one is a stretch, but I'd love to see the theme of family play out with the Sivanas against the Shazamily, including the Sivana matriarch. The Shazam mythos could use some more women characters - heroines, villainesses, and everything in between.)
    It’d be interesting to see if the brought Aunt Minerva back (though I’d cut her pursuit of Cap. Ick). Work on having a competent female mob don.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    It’d be interesting to see if the brought Aunt Minerva back (though I’d cut her pursuit of Cap. Ick). Work on having a competent female mob don.
    I completely agree SWW. They kind of did that with a Lady M character (I believe) at one point - but I would love to see Aunt Minerva as a reimagined concept in the new title, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I'm kind of obsessed with the sixes .....Shazam mythos:
    - the Shazamily numbers in six human characters

I'm conflicted on Portia vs Venus as the matriarch?
    Yet love the idea of the six SHAZAMily member vs a Sivana's Six.

Face-off would somewhat be?:

Sivana - Billy
    Portia (Venus) - Mary
    Thaddeus Jr. - Freddy
    Georgia - Eugene
    Beautia - Darla
    Magnificus - Pedro
    Last edited by Güicho; 11-07-2020 at 10:57 AM.