Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

This was hard. It wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

I always wondered why they put Lobdell on Nightwing. If they are doing an arc where Dick rediscovers his reasons for choosing this life and becoming who he is why Lobdell? Why not a writer that has shown understanding of the character? Now I'm thinking if the arc is about Dick not acting like Dick then I see why Lobdell was tapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonwix View Post
    it's just a shame, that I am actively watching dc run Dick into the ground in real time and that sucks.
    My sentiments exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    Okay I just read #50. Oh boy.

spoilers:
    The gist of it is that Dick doesn't really remember anything, he is not acting as Nightwing and has forgotten a good chunk of his life, including the people around him. Babs is heartbroken and alongside Bruce and Alfred they seem to be thinking that he may be better off forgetting them and his work all together, like that it may be for the best. Dick is just drifting around and seems to be actively wanting to forget his past, so much so that he burns his old uniforms by the end.

I think its more clearer than ever why Percy dropped out. The editorial mandated story seems to be the opposite of what he wanted to do with Dick.
    end of spoilers

Sigh. We're really doin this old shtick.
    Still, could be a good story. Never abandom the potential of a good story. We knowhe will be Dick and Nightwing again at some point, so the story is going to tell something regarding that. And it's going to last a short arc alone.Or it could be a waste of time at worst. It's not going to make a difference and him being a big name (becuase Dick is, however you would fear he's not), he will have a relaunch soon, I'm sure.

Why I always end as the hopeful part? (Unless Bruce is in the equation; nowadays, I'm always pesimistic about him. I never expect good. Good, I hate modern Batman >⊙<). I'm not this pessimistic about anyone, not even I-Died-Again-Please-Dont-Mind-Me Wally.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonwix View Post
    so that's it! isolate Dick more than before. I would have preferred if he was off worid with Starfire and cyborg. than this. he should have been included with the JLO line up.
    No one asked for this!!!
    if DC in comics wants to isolate him from starfire that's fine, I don't mind. I'm ok with dickkory adaptation in media. I don't understand why they are isolating him from Barbara and the bat family. i really dislike when they try to add generic boring new characters because they never stick. whats the point? 23+ years, dc has never managed to make civilians work in nightwing stories, why do they think they will succeed now, were they have failed, time a d time again.
    nightwing should be selling in the range of tec, that's how popular Dick is but dc keeps letting down his fans with very bad ideas and stories. it's just a shame, that I am actively watching dc run Dick into the ground in real time and that sucks.
    They are isolating al the batcharacters. It's for an upcoming story that was teased in the last DC Nation, I think. They're puting all of then in hard places and isolated the most important heads in the batfamily as much as posible. I think, at this point, it's clear , tease or not: Jason, Damian and Babs, Selina too, and Dick, all are going to or already are struggling with stuff by themselfves, or in the case of Damian, breaking his ties with the lighter partof the family and his father, and embrancing a very teen angsty dark gritty version of himself that seems like out of the early '00s. Damn, where is character development when you need it...

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post

I always wondered why they put Lobdell on Nightwing. If they are doing an arc where Dick rediscovers his reasons for choosing this life and becoming who he is why Lobdell? Why not a writer that has shown understanding of the character? Now I'm thinking if the arc is about Dick not acting like Dick then I see why Lobdell was tapped.
    Probably? Because he's fast (or so they say), he meets the deathlines and he came with a good enought idea for editorial.

If the change was so sudden as it seems, I doubt it was for any other reason.

I hate posting from my pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    He drank one beer once. Every single time he was shown eating, he was drinking water.

So again, I don't see why people keep thinking he acts like Jason besides personal bias.
    That isn't true at all. He was shown drinking a fair amount in the New 52. The most significant was after the Death of the Family story in a Batman issue he was in a bar drinking. That is the one that sticks out in my mind, which is what this read like.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post

Lobdell was tapped because Percy jumped ship and they were left with having to resort to their in house guy, with that old marvel style, to come up with something quick, probably with art they already had done, so they can get the book to print. They’re clearly not actually giving this direction much thought. They put more effort in finding new costumes for Red Hood and Batgirl then they have with this direction.

Honestly even, they might even be doing a burn off here. Hence the lack of promotion and etc. Fun times...
    Last edited by Godlike13; 10-03-2018 at 01:17 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    That isn't true at all. He was shown drinking a fair amount in the New 52. The most significant was after the Death of the Family story in a Batman issue he was in a bar drinking. That is the one that sticks out in my mind, which is what this read like.
    They were talking about RHATO. Jason did drink only once there but he is always shown drinking during Bat Family story. It isn't just that, In RHATO Jason's kind/sensitive side is shown often but during Bat Family meeting he's drinking or snarking, basically perpetuating the bad boy stereotype.

Kinda like how when Damian appears in other books. He's bratty first, if not always, and all character development went out of the window until he learn the same lesson he learned a thousand times, and only if his guest starring story run long enough.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    They are isolating al the batcharacters. It's for an upcoming story that was teased in the last DC Nation, I think. They're puting all of then in hard places and isolated the most important heads in the batfamily as much as posible. I think, at this point, it's clear , tease or not: Jason, Damian and Babs, Selina too, and Dick, all are going to or already are struggling with stuff by themselfves, or in the case of Damian, breaking his ties with the lighter partof the family and his father, and embrancing a very teen angsty dark gritty version of himself that seems like out of the early '00s. Damn, where is character development when you need it...
    That may be so. but for Dick it just seem so random, like there was no plan at all. the others Babs, Selina, Jason and Damian seemed planned with new uniforms and team members etc. But Dick didn't get any of that all. it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    He read like New 52 Lobdell's Jason to me. Cynical, drinking (he was showing drinking so much in the New 52), and trying to cover up his depression or anger with humor. He came across like he had a attitude where he is angry at the world, which feels a lot more like Jason than Dick to me.
    I don't know, besides his interactions with spoilers:
    Babs
    end of spoilers, he sounds pretty optimistic for a guy with literally no real life. Which is what he is when you strip Nightwing away. It's the comic that's reading pretty cynical, trying to make the point that Dick is worse off for losing his memories even though Dick doesn't want to spend any time dwelling on it. Dick being sad or angry is Dick 101, maybe you've gotten too used to the levity of the character? Drinking whiskey at a diner is definitely new for the character, but so is amnesia so it's not bothering me but I can see why that might bother you.

Overall this whole thing is just a stop gap, a time to use some shock value to sell the book until Doomsday Clock and Heroes in Crisis are done with. It's just Dick relearning what it means to be Nightwing, which could be fine but of course we'd all rather something more inspired if they wanted a new status quo. All that said, I actually liked #50. It's Lobdell that I'm uncertain of, but all I can do is hope for the best for now.

Moore and Bonvillain are just great. Seeing Dick at a real low point is great, I'm always fine with that if it means we get to see them get built up (which hopefully happens). The little act of heroism when the threat is near yet a complete avoidance when it involves the cops is interesting, Dick's obviously regretting that on the inside but he's right that someone else's problems aren't his, and until he remembers everything that happened at the circus on that night, he won't feel the determination to be a real hero.

Also, I'm cool with Scarecrow as the villain here, it feels kinda right after Scarecrow was Dick's first international case in the New 52 circa Batman and Robin Eternal. It can always be fun to see Batman villains have a vendetta against Dick.

The ending is also fine with me, spoilers:
    Dick goes through suits all the time anyways, it was a great dramatic beat to end the issue on. It lets them pretend this is some big new era for the character long enough for the next big DC relaunch too lol.
    end of spoilers

Omigosh. I've been on twitter and people are FLIPPING over his looks!

"what have they done to my son.....
    I refuse to believe this musty ass looking man is Dick. I refuse."
    "WHO IS THIS WHITE MAN"
    "it's rick"
    "UNACCEPTABLE"
    "they just, I DONT WANNA TALK what the **** where is the pretty boi I love"
    "THIS IS A CRIME AGAINST TRAVIS MOORE he shouldn't have to draw dick that ugly"
    "I DIDN'T EVEN REALIZE IT WAS TRAVIS MOORE OMG THEY'RE WASTING HIS POTENTIAL"

"It pains me to say this... he looks like a Rick"

XD
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-03-2018 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Omigosh. I've been on twitter and people are FLIPPING over his looks!

"what have they done to my son.....
    I refuse to believe this musty ass looking man is Dick. I refuse."
    "WHO IS THIS WHITE MAN"
    "it's rick"
    "UNACCEPTABLE"
    "they just, I DONT WANNA TALK what the **** where is the pretty boi I love"
    "THIS IS A CRIME AGAINST TRAVIS MOORE he shouldn't have to draw dick that ugly"
    "I DIDN'T EVEN REALIZE IT WAS TRAVIS MOORE OMG THEY'RE WASTING HIS POTENTIAL"

"It pains me to say this... he looks like a Rick"

XD
    White man? is that a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    I don't know, besides his interactions with spoilers:
    Babs
    end of spoilers, he sounds pretty optimistic for a guy with literally no real life. Which is what he is when you strip Nightwing away. It's the comic that's reading pretty cynical, trying to make the point that Dick is worse off for losing his memories even though Dick doesn't want to spend any time dwelling on it. Dick being sad or angry is Dick 101, maybe you've gotten too used to the levity of the character? Drinking whiskey at a diner is definitely new for the character, but so is amnesia so it's not bothering me but I can see why that might bother you.
    I don't think that is it at all. We just saw what he was when he lost Nightwing in the Grayson run and it was nothing like this. If you want to excuse it because he has amnesia now that is fine, but it doesn't stop me from reading him like New 52 Jason a bit. I read enough New 52 where I feel comfortable making the comparison despite Jason fans not liking it. And I know Dick can be angry or sad, that is what most of the New 52 was with beating the character down so much and even prior Nightwing or Titans runs, but in this case it didn't read like he was sad or angry in the same way. It isn't that he doesn't want to dwell on it but more that he doesn't want to deal with what happened or confront it. Which is what makes this all stupid because we know he will deal with it and then regain what he lost and be back at square one. So it is pointless, but you and others don't want to criticize it I guess.

I honestly think you just don't want to admit it is bad, which is fine. Some readers are like that in that they don't want to be negative or say something is bad about a property they like, but I think this is **** and Comics 101 in how not to shake up a character's direction. I don't blame Percy at all for walking off the book when this got thrown in his lap.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

We are here again, Dick (or should i say Rick) isolated from the rest of his world and friends.
    These time I'll not stick around, Grayson was a fortunate happening it will not repeat.
    Lobdell is a further reason to leave, I'll be back when everything would be back at their seats.

Roy, Wally and now Dick. Thank you DC, thank you Didio.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    White man? is that a problem.
    No, it's just a shorthand for douchebros. White because the image is privileged white college frat boys who doesn't take care of their looks beyond gym, frequent bars, those kinda thing. It's an exagerration.

Of course, they said that because the Dick they like is the exact opposite. Soft, sensitive, funny, non-threatening.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-03-2018 at 02:10 AM.