Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Grant Morrison--well, he's an exception to the rule, isn't he?
    Not really, in his run he brought back a lot of golden/silver age stuff, but iirc ignored some of the more recent stuff.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Not really, in his run he brought back a lot of golden/silver age stuff, but iirc ignored some of the more recent stuff.
    And he was right to do so.

Astonishing Member

And he was right to do so.
    However, that's the point. Morrison only brought some old elements (some that were not even considered canon) and altered them to tell their own story.

Good or Bad, new teams on a comic tend to avoid building on recent previous stories, because they want to tell their own story.

This can be positive if the story was very bad, but negative if the story was very good. However, the result is that it is very difficult to obtain a permanent supporting cast.

That does not mean the writers do not read the previous stories. They probably do it, but they avoid touching them (they get rid of characters quickly and quickly close open stories).
    Last edited by Konja7; 10-10-2018 at 04:23 AM.

Mighty Member

Unfortunately, DC's writing right now is going downhill. Rebirth was nice but it looks like we are back to New52.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

"NIGHTWING #50 2ND PTG"

Oh FFS, no wonder nothing gets fixed. People just like to eat events no matter what it is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    However, that's the point. Morrison only brought some old elements (some that were not even considered canon) and altered them to tell their own story.
    I'm willing to roll with a certain amount of indulgence IF it makes for a better story. For example, there were certain elements in Kenneth Branagh's "Frankenstein" movie that I considered better than in Mary Shelley's original book--small things, like The Monster learns to read by listening to the people in the cabin in the woods teaching their young children; it's certainly a more plausible notion than some woman from "Arabia" has found her way into a mountain cabin in the woods and the family is trying to teach her how to read English. I wouldn't say, "Oh, Ken is bad because he didn't do this or that the same way Mary did." A piece of fiction allows for certain liberties. George Perez once said, and RIGHTLY, people will go along with almost anything as long as it's done well." The point is that what is happening to this BELOVED character is being done very poorly.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    "NIGHTWING #50 2ND PTG"

Oh FFS, no wonder nothing gets fixed. People just like to eat events no matter what it is.
    I hate it too. King will write Batman forever at this rate.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post
    I hate it too. King will write Batman forever at this rate.
    "If I hold onto this comic for fifty years, I may be able to resell it for $10.00." Who else remembers people speculating and buying twenty copies of every Image Comic book, expecting it to fund a down payment on a house in San Francisco?

"If I hold onto this comic for fifty years, I may be able to resell it for $10.00." Who else remembers people speculating and buying twenty copies of every Image Comic book, expecting it to fund a down payment on a house in San Francisco?
    They're still doing that, especially with that Damned Batman dick issue #1 now that it won't get reprinted

BANNED

I want to thank the academy awards for the Ban over considering my support for the title.

PriOriTies.

BANNED

They're still doing that, especially with that Damned Batman dick issue #1 now that it won't get reprinted

What's the first printing going for these days?

What's the first printing going for these days?
    On eBay? From $200 to... holy shark repellent... $2000

Astonishing Member

On eBay? From $200 to... holy shark repellent... $2000
    Wait. I don't understand.

Why that comic is so expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Wait. I don't understand.

Why that comic is so expensive?
    DC will censor is for the next printings, and they already censor it for digital purchase, meaning only the first printings of that issue will have Batman's uncensored penis. They're collector's items now.

BANNED

DC will censor is for the next printings, and they already censor it for digital purchase, meaning only the first printings of that issue will have Batman's uncensored penis. They're collector's items now.
    It ain't worth it.