Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Nightwing #50 Preview/Discussion

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/1...er-the-gunshot

Well it begins. May god have mercy on us all...

I will say I like Dick gambling, but Percy is out of here after this issue so I doubt any of the characterization angles here will even matter by the next issue. Oh what fun times it is to be a Nightwing reader...
    Last edited by Godlike13; 10-01-2018 at 01:18 PM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/1...er-the-gunshot

Well it begins. May god have mercy on us all...
    No.... No....Nononononono...

As a biomechanist - neurophysiologist who specializes in the sensorimotor control of movement... This is *so* wrong on *so* many levels, I can't even fathom how he is supposed to walking and talking the way he is, without even the perfect throwing arm and eye-hand co-ordination going on.

This is just so wrong.

Amazing Member

Dick's new appearance reminds me of Deathwing from when he went all skinhead in the later Titan years. He even has the leather jacket.

He honestly reads more like a cynical Jason Todd complete with the drinking. The art is nice in the few preview images, but it didn't read well at all to me. He seems to have a "**** THE WORLD" mentality which doesn't really feel like the character at all. I still don't really get the purpose of doing any of this.

I'm honestly annoyed enough with all this where I would rather pirate the issue than give DC money for it.

Is it wrong that as much as I'm worried for Dick I'm also digging this? I'm getting Midnighter vibes with a dash of Todd.

I really hope DC knows what they're doing. Everyone's going Todd. Damian -Mini Todd
    Jason - Extreme Todd and Now Dick - Toddish.
    Lets just hope Tim doesn't go dead Todd.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    He honestly reads more like a cynical Jason Todd complete with the drinking. The art is nice in the few preview images, but it didn't read well at all to me. He seems to have a "**** THE WORLD" mentality which doesn't really feel like the character at all. I still don't really get the purpose of doing any of this.

I'm honestly annoyed enough with all this where I would rather pirate the issue than give DC money for it.
    Better yet, don't even bother with it! 'S what I'm doing.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Marilee View Post
    No.... No....Nononononono...

As a biomechanist - neurophysiologist who specializes in the sensorimotor control of movement... This is *so* wrong on *so* many levels, I can't even fathom how he is supposed to walking and talking the way he is, without even the perfect throwing arm and eye-hand co-ordination going on.

This is just so wrong.
    You're asking what is basically a modern type of pulp fiction to be realistic :/. They magic-hack stuff, and basic, realistic computering (like how coding looks) is way less obscure for the average reader than realistic medical depictions of certain injuries. I feel your pain, but this is how usually goes, it's an issue sometimes even for "better" literature (better being something arguable, to be honest).

There are good opening pages in any case: easy to connect with, fast paced and direct. Art is very pleasant and I'm interested in this arc if they keep this mood for the rest of the issue and the following ones, even despite the change in the creative team.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 10-01-2018 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    You're asking what is basically a modern type of pulp fiction to be realistic :/. They magic-hack stuff, and basic, realistic computering (like how coding looks) is way less obscure for the average reader than realistic medical depictions of certain injuries. I feel your pain, but this is how usually goes, it's an issue sometimes even for "better" literature (better being something arguable, to be honest).

There are good opening pages in any case: easy to connect with, fast paced and direct. Art is very pleasant and I'm interested in this arc if they keep this mood for the rest of the issue and the following ones, even despite the change in the creative team.
    They are not easy to conect if you like Dick Grayson, though.

Mighty Member

Im looking forward to this and see how this changes everything from batman to titans.this is also my starting point for Nightwing

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    Im looking forward to this and see how this changes everything from batman to titans.this is also my starting point for Nightwing
    It's not going to change anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakiduam View Post
    They are not easy to conect if you like Dick Grayson, though.
    Let's way for the story to be told, guys. This could easily be a story of Dick relearning himself into the person he is, or was, or should be, or can be, which is quite interesting and emotional. Or should be, for the fans. I know I would if I were a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    It is just going to be a handful of issues of Dick acting out of character and like an ******* before realizing he shouldn't be doing that. Then he will go back to doing the exact same things he was doing before this dumb King/Editorial mandated amnesia story was forced on the character. It is a meaningless gimmick other than King wanted to use the character for another shocking gimmick in his Batman book and doesn't care about the fallout related to Dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Let's way for the story to be told, guys. This could easily be a story of Dick relearning himself into the person he is, or was, or should be, or can be, which is quite interesting and emotional. Or should be, for the fans. I know I would if I were a fan.
    We just had that story with the transition between Grayson and Rebirth Nightwing. Where it went into why Dick is a hero and why he is the way he is. I don't see what Lobdell on short notice in fill in duty after Percy quit can do that Seeley didn't already cover in his run going all the way back from Grayson through Rebirth Nightwing.

We just had that story with the transition between Grayson and Rebirth Nightwing. Where it went into why Dick is a hero and why he is the way he is.
    For the readers, maybe. But not for himself, I think. Just think about the possibilities here. We have a Dick who is struggling with himself, because he cannot remember certain things, he's hurt and in a mood in which he wants to be left alone, probably. He cannot connect with the people who tries to approach him, people from his life he doesn't remember properly, who kept telling him how he should be, what he should do, etc. And slowly he goes into discovering the image others have from him, by his somewhat outsider eyes. And steadily, he regains himself. relearms himself, by chance or by circumstances, and once again he's Nightwing, but also Dick Grayson, with his virtues and flaws. I mean, If I were a fan, approaching this stuff like that, could be fine. I can already think of a few other amnesiac escenarios that would be interesting, but they're definitely out of the table now, given what we already know about this story arc (which isn't much, but it's enough).

I don't see what Lobdell on short notice in fill in duty after Percy quit can do that Seeley didn't already cover in his run going all the way back from Grayson through Rebirth Nightwing.
    Who knows. True being told, I don't expect a lot from this arc, nothing espectacular, but I'm going to wait and see: I'll be happy if it keeps me interested in reading it when I dropped the book a long way back (I think I didn't stay to the end the last of Seeley's arcs. A pity, because the book started strong).

The problem is DC doesn't have a story. They are making this up as they go, and after this issue they have to rely on Lobdell to make something up last minute. Most likely until they find someone else. So who the hell knows what new Dick we get after this issue, or what new Dick we ultimately get when they do find someone who has an actual story for this direction. Or not, who knows, not sure the editors on this book actually give a crap or really even want to the do that much work. I could easily see them just trying to burn this book off at this point.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 10-01-2018 at 06:50 PM.