Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    This is why I don't get blindly angry with new directions because I never know what can come out of it. I'm big on story. I'm an aspiring storyteller myself. I always need the big picture, I can't decide on something in one issue. But every reader is different I suppose. The only thing I'm mad about is Percy's arc getting shafted, which is a shame because I was loving it. When I think of a technological threat I don't think of Dick, so that's why I really gravitated towards the storyline.
    I can't speak for everyone but I'm not mad at the issue. Annoyed. Kinda but I mostly feel indifference. It's going to be a mediocre in between arc that is used to buy time to form a plan and make some money off of fans who are loyal to the character. Honestly I would still be buying this even if its hot garbage but I'm in the process of moving and don't know where the comic shops are. People's reactions on here aren't blind hatred, whatever they are feeling is perfectly justified at the current handling of the character. The constant changes and sidelines from bigger stories. All the hate is directed at the handling no the issue itself, the issue was fine. It set up Dick's current life well enough and the villain of the story. I thought Crane and Bruce were pretty out of character but whatever.

I loved Grayson but I was saying from day 1 this status quo will only be temporary I was always comparing it to Electric Blue Superman. The only thing I could see DC trying to stick with coming out of this is trying to keep the the name Ric. Which won't last, like the last time they tried it. I'm just tired of stories that come and go, leaving no impact on the reader or the character.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

This is why I don't get blindly angry with new directions because I never know what can come out of it. I'm big on story. I'm an aspiring storyteller myself. I always need the big picture, I can't decide on something in one issue. But every reader is different I suppose. The only thing I'm mad about is Percy's arc getting shafted, which is a shame because I was loving it. When I think of a technological threat I don't think of Dick, so that's why I really gravitated towards the storyline.
    I keep bringing cliche in threads like this but darker and gritty take characters has been over done since 90s. I just don't see the benefit to this direction in long term. What is the point? Grow appreciation for something that the character already no problem with before this all happen?

Mighty Member

If you DiDio can't kill Dick, he will make him and his fans suffer.

Incredible Member

Interesting... I just noticed Batman on the roof top on page 17 watching Dick as he is walking. It adds a little something extra to things. I completely missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by OWL45 View Post
    Interesting... I just noticed Batman on the roof top on page 17 watching Dick as he is walking. It adds a little something extra to things. I completely missed that.
    That’s a nice catch.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    That’s a nice catch.
    Thx, Something so small actually makes me look at the issue a little differently. Some people were questioning Bruce’s reaction to what Barbara was saying and I think it shows another layer to it all that is taking place.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I loved Grayson but I was saying from day 1 this status quo will only be temporary I was always comparing it to Electric Blue Superman. The only thing I could see DC trying to stick with coming out of this is trying to keep the the name Ric. Which won't last, like the last time they tried it. I'm just tired of stories that come and go, leaving no impact on the reader or the character.

Can you really blame writers and publishers for backpedaling and flip-flopping on certain characters? No matter what direction they put Dick in, it is always met with whining. He's Batman, whining. Oh he's a spy, whining. He's following orders, whining. He's a Titan, whining. He's in Bludhaven, whining. He's not in Bludhaven, whining. His costume is red, whining. Good lord, my heart really goes out to these writers because they try so effing hard. It's very hard being a Nightwing fan.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Mighty Member

Can you really blame writers and publishers for backpedaling and flip-flopping on certain characters? No matter what direction they put Dick in, it is always met with whining. He's Batman, whining. Oh he's a spy, whining. He's following orders, whining. He's a Titan, whining. He's in Bludhaven, whining. He's not in Bludhaven, whining. His costume is red, whining. Good lord, my heart really goes out to these writers because they try so effing hard. It's very hard being a Nightwing fan.
    I agree
    that's not even including the disagreements about his love interests

btw....I really don't like use a term like whining
    it really comes off as patronizing

There is nothing wrong with having certain views even if it's a complaint

I just hate the "Talk down and look down at others" mentality that we human beings have
    it's always been something that I have an issue with
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

And yet fans are there supporting each and every one of these despite this so called whining. He’s Batman, supported. He’s a in red, supported. He’s a spy, supported. He’s a Titan again, supported. He’s back in Bludhaven, supported. But ya, these poor writers. It’s the whining thats why these things don’t stick, not DC’s continued strategy of last minute direction changes being just thrown on writers to try and make work last minute. It’s the whining that’s why writers are running, running, from this consistently supported book. And now they are running before this stuff even reaches readers. But sure, it’s the fans that make this hard.

It is hard being a Nightwing fan, because despite being there to support every single time they still can’t be bothered to come up with real plans and commitment, and continue to just come up with half assed crap last minute and just try to throw it on whoever they can find.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 10-04-2018 at 02:27 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    I agree
    that's not even including the disagreements about his love interests

btw....I really don't like use a term like whining
    it really comes off as patronizing

There is nothing wrong with having certain views even if it's a complaint

I just hate the "Talk down and look down at others" mentality that we human beings have
    it's always been something that I have an issue with
    Whining, crying, complaining, etc. It's all the same to me. I But anyway. Over the years I noticed that fans of this character have a very limited mindset about Dick Grayson. Do they want progression or do they not? It's quite sad, to be honest. I won't even get into the love interests. Not a can of worms that I wish to open.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Whining, crying, complaining, etc. It's all the same to me. I But anyway. Over the years I noticed that fans of this character have a very limited mindset about Dick Grayson. Do they want progression or do they not? It's quite sad, to be honest. I won't even get into the love interests. Not a can of worms that I wish to open.
    I was one of the biggest supporters of the Grayson series and spy direction. Even before the first issue came out I was positive about it because it was something I've wanted for a while. I didn't even care about him having to give up the Nightwing identity or brandishing a gun on that first cover page in the first interview explaining the direction. I liked it even. It was an actual change in direction where it felt like there was a plan in place. It wasn't just retreading old ground by trying to sell readers on nostalgia, but actually move the character into a new and interesting corner of the DCU that no other character was occupying where you could build a strong foundation from. It was reconnecting him to the DCU after being cut off from everything for so long.

But I don't get that feeling here. It doesn't feel like there is any plan in place for this "direction" and people who think this will be something "bold and new" don't see how regressive it is. It is forcing the character back into being isolated like he was at the start of the New 52 while also trying to beat him down like the New 52 did as well. Except this situation doesn't have a creative team involved leading the direction and instead just Lobdell writing what DC editorial wants him to. I don't feel like there is any real plan in place for any of this.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    That’s a nice catch.
    There was the 1940 cab number, too. The year of Dick's 'birth', so to speak.

That does sound patronizing, and doesn't really add anything. On the other hand complaining about the whining when is all the same for you, it is kind of funny.

With a character so old with so many facets that appeal different people there is always going to be someone unhappy. The Grayson threads in this forum were really fun but tumblr was supper offended about some of the jokes.

Right now, DC managed to find a way to irritate most fans.
    Last edited by Rakiduam; 10-04-2018 at 03:08 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I was one of the biggest supporters of the Grayson series and spy direction. Even before the first issue came out I was positive about it because it was something I've wanted for a while. I didn't even care about him having to give up the Nightwing identity or brandishing a gun on that first cover page in the first interview explaining the direction. I liked it even. It was an actual change in direction where it felt like there was a plan in place. It wasn't just retreading old ground by trying to sell readers on nostalgia, but actually move the character into a new and interesting corner of the DCU that no other character was occupying where you could build a strong foundation from. It was reconnecting him to the DCU after being cut off from everything for so long.

But I don't get that feeling here. It doesn't feel like there is any plan in place for this "direction" and people who think this will be something "bold and new" don't see how regressive it is. It is forcing the character back into being isolated like he was at the start of the New 52 while also trying to beat him down like the New 52 did as well. Except this situation doesn't have a creative team involved leading the direction and instead just Lobdell writing what DC editorial wants him to. I don't feel like there is any real plan in place for any of this.
    Nightwing was one of the lows of the New 52. I think this will be the only instance where me and other Nightwing fans will agree on anything. Nightwing to me was always a character that in spite of tragedy, was never driven by it. Nightwing should be the flip side of the Batman coin. I thought Grayson was refreshing and necessary. It really made me look forward to the expansion of DC's spy world. But it didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakiduam View Post
    That does sound patronizing, and doesn't really add anything. On the other hand complaining about the whining when is all the same for you, it is kind of funny.

I'm not first person to contradict myself, nor will I be the last. Being patronizing wasn't my goal. I'm a fan like everyone else. Apologies.

Fantastic Member

Dick's fandom is fractured, thats why there are so many complaints, this is due to many versions of Dick Grayson over the decades, created by beloved tv shows like young justice, teen titans and eras like the 1980s, 90s etc. Each fraction of the fandom had their different entry point to the character and want to continue with that version they love in comics . The situation with Kory and Babs is one of many examples. This happens when a character is somewhat inconsistent.
    If DC could showhow find a way to make the whole fandom happy , Nightwing would be selling in very huge numbers and the whining will stop. But I don't think DC is invested in the character to make this happen/work.