Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

I have to say I just finished reading this issue and I enjoyed it, I liked Babs role in this, and I like the idea of exploring who someone is without their memories because that drives so much of who we are and I like seeing what Dick is like when he reacting purely on impulse. I can't wait to see where this goes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Moonwix View Post
    Dick's fandom is fractured, thats why there are so many complaints, this is due to many versions of Dick Grayson over the decades, created by beloved tv shows like young justice, teen titans and eras like the 1980s, 90s etc. Each fraction of the fandom had their different entry point to the character and want to continue with that version they love in comics . The situation with Kory and Babs is one of many examples. This happens when a character is somewhat inconsistent.
    If DC could showhow find a way to make the whole fandom happy , Nightwing would be selling in very huge numbers and the whining will stop. But I don't think DC is invested in the character to make this happen/work.
    I don't think DC is interested in finding a way to make ANY Nightwing fans happy.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I don't think DC is interested in finding a way to make ANY Nightwing fans happy.
    You are right.. I donīt liked this, even less see him burning all his hero costumes.

I just want to know where’s the light at the end of the tunnel here. You ditch his memories, subvert his personality, and have him burn Nightwing down. For what? Something last minute by Scott Lobdell. Oh, joy. The solicitations of him still just wandering around Bludhaven 5 issues in sounds super exciting and bold.
    It’s just frustrating, and hard to get invested in. And they have done jack **** to give any reassurance to Nightwing readers as where they might be going, or what they want to accomplish with this. All we have gotten is the first writer jumping ship, and petty "leaks". Which then how are readers not supposed to respond to this with skepticism and negativity.

I’ve said this before, but when it looks like they have put more effort in new costumes for Batgirl and Red Hood then Nightwing’s entire direction. There’s something wrong here.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 10-04-2018 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonwix View Post
    Dick's fandom is fractured, thats why there are so many complaints, this is due to many versions of Dick Grayson over the decades, created by beloved tv shows like young justice, teen titans and eras like the 1980s, 90s etc. Each fraction of the fandom had their different entry point to the character and want to continue with that version they love in comics . The situation with Kory and Babs is one of many examples. This happens when a character is somewhat inconsistent.
    If DC could showhow find a way to make the whole fandom happy , Nightwing would be selling in very huge numbers and the whining will stop. But I don't think DC is invested in the character to make this happen/work.
    Dick's fandom isn't fractured at all. If anything it's one of the most constituent fanbases out there. People love him as Robin, as Nightwing, as Batman, or as a Secret Agent. This fanbase is loyal to a fault, we continue to eat up whatever garbage DC wants to throw to us. We get a good run, then they take away that writer and put them on a different character. It's a constant cycle of getting good, being replaced, getting bad, being replaced. It goes on and on.

It's nothing like the GL or Flash where everyone is dying on their favorite version's hill. People just want Dick's character to progress forward. The problem is Dick's natural progression was finally reached, he became Batman but then DC reboot and sent him back to being Nightwing. I love Dick as Nightwing and I knew Dick was gonna stop being Batman but it felt different. It felt like he was actually going to stay as Batman even though we all knew he wouldn't. That's the problem, Dick was Batman and leading the Justice League. He made it but then we got the half-assed reboot with poor planning and worse execution. He was Nightwing with a more Robin-like suit, with a questionable past acting like Bruce's first in command. DC had a chance to really push their universe forward by finally having the sidekick generation become the new figureheads but didn't have the cuts to go through with it.

I love pretty much all versions of Dick's character and I don't want to go back specifically to the NTT or Dixon era or BTAS or whatever. I want to see the continued adventures of this character. I love that comics don't have a planned ending, I want Dick's history to build off and around itself as he grows. The problem is that DC cut all that out and the character has been in free fall ever since. Blaming Bludhaven, being with or not being with Babs or Kori, becoming a spy, amnesia, etc. these aren't the problems, they are merely symptoms of an overall mismanagement of the DCU and the characters that inhabit this universe.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

BANNED

Dick Grayson's fans all love him and want good things for him.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    This is the truth. No one is happy with DC's decisions. Grayson series was able to convince Nightwing fans. This does not!

I'm just depressed. I didn't think it was a bad issue but worried about DC's plans or[ lack of ] for Nightwing. It's not that I don't welcome change it's just that i don't think that's what's going on here. A 4 part story dealing with the fallout of what happened in another character's title that is a device to drive the development of another character. That's not development this is just Dick becoming a Batman-angst generating tool named Ric.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Okay, something I forgot to mention. I can't believe there's yet another Batman brooding in front of a Robin costume case. Like we don't have enough of that for the past 30 years.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-05-2018 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reni344 View Post
    I have to say I just finished reading this issue and I enjoyed it, I liked Babs role in this, and I like the idea of exploring who someone is without their memories because that drives so much of who we are and I like seeing what Dick is like when he reacting purely on impulse. I can't wait to see where this goes.
    I do expect a lot of Babs and Bruce appearances.

I think I'm more interested to see other characters and their experiences more so than Dick

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    I do expect a lot of Babs and Bruce appearances.

I think I'm more interested to see other characters and their experiences more so than Dick
    I doubt there will be much--if anything--in the way of appearance by Bruce, since one of the purposes of the "new direction" is to divorce Dick from his family.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

While I have never been a big enough fan of Batman, I have always had a fondness for Dick Grayson because I prefer my superheroes fun and quippy who don't wallow in their personal misery and brood about it all the time.

That said, I enjoyed this issue. It feels like an interesting direction to take the character. I am cautiously optimistic about this idea, despite the arrival of Scott Lobdel, whose writing I have never particularly cared for. Whatever his faults as a writer, Lobdel is funny, and I think that's fundamental to any good Dick Grayson story.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    While I have never been a big enough fan of Batman, I have always had a fondness for Dick Grayson because I prefer my superheroes fun and quippy who don't wallow in their personal misery and brood about it all the time.

That said, I enjoyed this issue. It feels like an interesting direction to take the character. I am cautiously optimistic about this idea, despite the arrival of Scott Lobdel, whose writing I have never particularly cared for. Whatever his faults as a writer, Lobdel is funny, and I think that's fundamental to any good Dick Grayson story.
    Also this direction might suit him considering how good his Red Hood is.

Fantastic Member

When I think about it, Lobdell did write Dick in that Red Hood Annual and really liked him there. Considering how much I love Red Hood and the Outlaws I am more than ready to give this a chance before judging.

Mighty Member

Lobdell will just write Dick as a more charming and commanding Jason anyway. It's not like he will do anything that he has doesn't before. I don't like reading Jason so I don't see how I could like this new direction.