Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Thank you! I don't know how I missed the "look inside" tag above the book image, but I did.

Heh I know this forum hates it but I kind of like spoilers:
    Maxwell Lord becoming a foe for WW
    end of spoilers. At least he’s not a god. I don’t think Psycho really works as a ugly man. I feel like he’d be a stronger character if he was a relatively attractive person who masks his misogyny beneath a pleasant disguise.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Got mine tonight. A very interesting read, but I feel the story was very rushed. I think Morrison has a ton of ideas as far as the WW lore is concerned, but just three of these books are not enough to flesh them out. I think this would benefit from a nice long Batman or JLA length run. *Spoilers below*

The main strengths were that this is a very effective and despicable revamp of Dr. Psycho. Diana plays right into his hands, and while it's sad to see, it's also believable and makes him an effective villain that you love to hate. His brand of villainy being all too real helps a lot with selling the plot. The way he isolates her from her friends is very sad and unsettling, but the rushed story telling lets that aspect of it down. We don't get enough time with Steve, Beth/Etta or the Holliday Girls to really feel Diana's isolation from them, especially as she only started on the road to a close circle of friends at the end of volume 1. When they do appear though they are great, especially Etta. Who gets to put Psycho in his place along with the Holliday Girls.

Paula I think could have used a volume all to herself. She's very easy to pity despite her monstrous acts, the combination of Nazi programming and presumably the Venus Girdle have done a job on the poor woman's mind. The narrative places more blame on the former, but Hippolyta putting the girdle on her without her consent (which was given in the Golden Age stories as far as Paula was concerned, but other villains...not so much) is still pretty unsettling. We'll see if we get more of this in volume 3, I will be let down if that's all there is to her. Diana showing her mercy and promising to care for her was great though.

The appearance of Maxwell Lord is both frustrating because it seems WW will never escape that damn story, but also interesting in that Morrison mentioned in one interview that Lord will be an avatar of Ares. I'm not sure he means that literally though, as Diana implies that they worship the Gods as abstract concepts that manifest in different ways. She tells Steve there is nothing supernatural about the Gods. Which is odd when we see the Fates and Medusa.

Other tidbits
    - As sad as the reasoning behind it is, Diana looks pretty awesome in her current position on that last page
    - I love Diana being a teacher at Holliday College, and could have used an entire issue devoted to one of her classes
    - We see the butterfly women! I wanna see Desira!
    - Psycho's new civilian name is Leon Zeiko. I don't believe he had a civilian name until post-Crisis right? Grant may be giving the pre-Crisis Psycho a name he never had. And Marva is name dropped. I wonder what the poor woman is going through being married to him.
    - The bracelets of submission are confirmed to be made of Amazonium
    - I love the depiction of the Mental Radio
    -Etta's brother Mint is name dropped, but "Mint" appears to be a nickname.
    - Lord is in charge of Project A.R.E.S

Overall, definitely a flawed comics that fails in some regards but at least fails in interesting ways, and has plenty of Golden Age Easter eggs. I just think these ideas are too big to squeeze into three kind of short graphic novels and need to be fleshed out more. But I'd take this over the majority of things we get on the regular title any day of the week.

I've read this twice now, and I appreciated it more on the second read. And that was also the same with the first volume.

As SiegePerilous02 said, the isolation of Diana from her friends does read as rushed. It was more noticeable on my first read than second, but it did stick out.

The scene with Dr. Psycho and Diana in conversation and the robotic butterfly in the background had great pacing, I thought.

The art is spectacular -- Paquette and Fairbairn are a great duo.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

The art makes this book for me, doubtful this story would pull me in as much with any other artist.

Mighty Member

Had a good time reading this. As with the first one, it isn't spot on at first but after reading it again I'm once again won over. But it's not perfect. As others have said, it feels like it moves a bit fast. But I think it'll come together in the third book. I thought Steve's time in the first book was a bit short, but the stuff in bk 2 added to it. His overall arch. I think bk 3 will add more to the rest of it.

Hope bk 3 arrives soon. Hopefully followed by a "Wonder Woman by Grant Morrison" bk shortly after.

My favorite scene was probably Diana's defeat of Gunther. Hugging her and saying they'll make her better. I really like things like that. Bit like Batman hugging two face in Dark Knight returns. And speaking about that book. I feel Diana is really getting her fair share of different takes now. Much like Batman. Love it. Books with whole runs from writers coming out. Morrison weird take still in the making. WW84 round the corner. I think things are looking good for her

From my initial read, I say this is pretty great. Its noticeably less experimental than the original volume, but I think some might like it more because of that.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    My favorite scene was probably Diana's defeat of Gunther. Hugging her and saying they'll make her better. I really like things like that. Bit like Batman hugging two face in Dark Knight returns. And speaking about that book. I feel Diana is really getting her fair share of different takes now. Much like Batman. Love it. Books with whole runs from writers coming out. Morrison weird take still in the making. WW84 round the corner. I think things are looking good for her
    I really loved that too. As (intentionally?) OTT and B-movie as the whole Paula plot was, that was very powerful. I think in that moment at least, Morrison really gets Diana. Due to her experience with Dr. Psycho, I also have to wonder if she's going to get rid of the Venus Girdles going forward and will rehabilitate Paula another way. Fighting brainwashing with brainwashing only screwed her up further. Hippolyta herself even seems to realize that at the end.

Also, Hippolyta says something like "one more war father...to end wars." Is Ares her father in this? Hercules is described by Aphrodite as having an inflated reputation, so does Diana's "royal strength" come mostly from a demigod Hippolyta?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderSpace View Post
    Lot of triggered dudes in the comment section of this article.

It seems that once again Diana will not physically fight any super powered beings in Earth One, too bad...
    Ugh, I wish I hadn't clicked on that link. Like, as a dude, it's not that difficult not to be offended by a villain like Dr. Psycho. If you are, that's something you really need to be concerned about followed up by a whole lot of introspective soul searching.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

That ending....Im a tad speechless.

While I enjoyed the art, somewhat, I just wasn't as interested as I was in the first Vol.
    Richard Alexander

I'm not really sure what to think about this volume. Story-wise, it's not as strong or cohesive as the previous volume; it feels more like it moves from scene to scene with hardly any connection between them. I believe Morrison intended to say something moral about the mind-coercive techniques of the Amazons, but instead he just made them incompetent in their rehabiliation of Paula von Gunther.

This Doctor Psycho felt really creepy and unsettling, however, and was probably the strongest character in the book. But it felt like Morrison had to nerf Diana and her training far too much in order to make the plot work. Likewise, Diana felt like a crap ambassador and teacher, and that the Amazons hadn't managed to prepare her enough given her thousands of years of training and education. Compared to the movie, which also set out to tear down and then build up Diana again in its coming-of-age-story, this felt far more rushed and forced.

I liked this. It’s wonderfully weird and the Marston influences really shined through. I hope Morrison can end the trilogy in a strong way.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

This comic again shows how awesome Amazon having technology is. The art was really good. Dr Psycho was creepy.

Everything else is mediocre. The story slowly builds up slowly, only for it get rushed halfway through. Dr Psycho defeat felt really underwhelming and Stupid. Hippolyta death was also underwhelming. There is also no outstanding display of power from Diana.
    Hate that DC still cannot think of any villain other than Maxwell Lord for WW.
    Last edited by Geraldofrivia; 10-11-2018 at 02:46 AM.