Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Finally read this, and was surprised at how much I liked it!

Dr. Psycho was a good villain for the story, but Paula was even better. I really hope Maxwell Lord's role in the third volume is minimal at best, and we get other characters like Veronica Cale or some of her other major rogues in the "anti-Amazon" army.

Really loved Etta/Beth once again... wish this is who we had in the main universe. Steve was just sorta there, though, and offered nothing really of note. It was neat seeing General Darnell get some page-time. And for the most part, I really enjoyed Diana's characterization.

I think I may like this volume more than the last one. It was a quicker read, but packed a bigger punch for me, especially with the Paula reveal scene. And I could stare at Paquette's art all day.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Finally read this, and was surprised at how much I liked it!

Dr. Psycho was a good villain for the story, but Paula was even better. I really hope Maxwell Lord's role in the third volume is minimal at best, and we get other characters like Veronica Cale or some of her other major rogues in the "anti-Amazon" army.

Really loved Etta/Beth once again... wish this is who we had in the main universe. Steve was just sorta there, though, and offered nothing really of note. It was neat seeing General Darnell get some page-time. And for the most part, I really enjoyed Diana's characterization.

I think I may like this volume more than the last one. It was a quicker read, but packed a bigger punch for me, especially with the Paula reveal scene. And I could stare at Paquette's art all day.
    Max Lord is at least being used as an incarnation of Ares. Diana's comments that the Gods are more abstract concepts that manifest in different ways was interesting, and it makes me wonder if the Olympians actually exist in this canon? If it weren't for the Fates, I'd wonder if the Amazons got their immortality from the technology they clearly got in some capacity from Desira's aliens, and the voice of Aphrodite Hippolyta hears in the first volume is all in her head?

It will remain to be seen if we physically get Ares in the third volume, but Diana says he's active in the world of man again due to Lord's actions.

Paula was somewhat of a composite character in this, like a fusion of Paula and Priscilla Rich (with her struggling personalities). I would rather get a full blown Priscilla, but I have to wonder if that's what Morrison was going for. After all, Paula consented to becoming a reformed slave of the Amazons, but Cheetah and other villains had the mind controlling Venus Girdles put on them without much consent.

I hope Morrison changes his mind and does more than three volumes. Flaws aside, this is an interesting side take of the WW mythos that I like having around with the main one

To be honest I don't mind the Venus Gridles. THe only thing I would take away is the mind control aspect. I would instead make it that the people with them on can harm each other or the guards. They have freewill.

I liked it and I think Morrison/Paquette run is probably the best of the Earth one's we've had so far.

I'm really interested in what Volume 3 gets done.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Got mine tonight. A very interesting read, but I feel the story was very rushed. I think Morrison has a ton of ideas as far as the WW lore is concerned, but just three of these books are not enough to flesh them out. I think this would benefit from a nice long Batman or JLA length run. *Spoilers below*

The main strengths were that this is a very effective and despicable revamp of Dr. Psycho. Diana plays right into his hands, and while it's sad to see, it's also believable and makes him an effective villain that you love to hate. His brand of villainy being all too real helps a lot with selling the plot. The way he isolates her from her friends is very sad and unsettling, but the rushed story telling lets that aspect of it down. We don't get enough time with Steve, Beth/Etta or the Holliday Girls to really feel Diana's isolation from them, especially as she only started on the road to a close circle of friends at the end of volume 1. When they do appear though they are great, especially Etta. Who gets to put Psycho in his place along with the Holliday Girls.

Paula I think could have used a volume all to herself. She's very easy to pity despite her monstrous acts, the combination of Nazi programming and presumably the Venus Girdle have done a job on the poor woman's mind. The narrative places more blame on the former, but Hippolyta putting the girdle on her without her consent (which was given in the Golden Age stories as far as Paula was concerned, but other villains...not so much) is still pretty unsettling. We'll see if we get more of this in volume 3, I will be let down if that's all there is to her. Diana showing her mercy and promising to care for her was great though.

The appearance of Maxwell Lord is both frustrating because it seems WW will never escape that damn story, but also interesting in that Morrison mentioned in one interview that Lord will be an avatar of Ares. I'm not sure he means that literally though, as Diana implies that they worship the Gods as abstract concepts that manifest in different ways. She tells Steve there is nothing supernatural about the Gods. Which is odd when we see the Fates and Medusa.

Other tidbits
    - As sad as the reasoning behind it is, Diana looks pretty awesome in her current position on that last page
    - I love Diana being a teacher at Holliday College, and could have used an entire issue devoted to one of her classes
    - We see the butterfly women! I wanna see Desira!
    - Psycho's new civilian name is Leon Zeiko. I don't believe he had a civilian name until post-Crisis right? Grant may be giving the pre-Crisis Psycho a name he never had. And Marva is name dropped. I wonder what the poor woman is going through being married to him.
    - The bracelets of submission are confirmed to be made of Amazonium
    - I love the depiction of the Mental Radio
    -Etta's brother Mint is name dropped, but "Mint" appears to be a nickname.
    - Lord is in charge of Project A.R.E.S

Overall, definitely a flawed comics that fails in some regards but at least fails in interesting ways, and has plenty of Golden Age Easter eggs. I just think these ideas are too big to squeeze into three kind of short graphic novels and need to be fleshed out more. But I'd take this over the majority of things we get on the regular title any day of the week.
    I don't see how a comic can be considered flawad when it's exactly what the author intended. In other words it's not a bug it's a feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    I don't see how a comic can be considered flawad when it's exactly what the author intended. In other words it's not a bug it's a feature.
    How exactly it's executed, regardless on intention, can determine whether or not someone views flaws.

Otherwise every piece of media is not flawed because it is intended to be the way it is.

Extraordinary Member

I figured I'd start this thread early because not only is this due to drop next week, there is also a long preview available on Amazons.com at least. Spoilers/Speculation below

spoilers:

-it starts with a flashback of Paula von Gunther leading an invading force of Nazis onto Paradise Island, so Steve's reference of SS reports of a "Ghost Island" in volume 1 are being explained here. Hippolyta gives fair warning to Paula and the men to leave or else they will be subjected to Aphrodite's laws, but Paula has her forces charge. I went into this expecting a similar outcome as the Germans invading in the movie, but instead the Amazons use pacifying weapons on the men. It hits them with positive emotions or something, they shout "Yes!" in elation when being hit by the beams, causing them to surrender.
    - Hippolyta orders the male prisoners to be sent to "Aphrodite's World" to be reformed by Queen Desira and her butterfly winged Venus Girls. Not sure if this is actually Venus, but they have a transporter that sends the men there. I'd love to see it, maybe contact with Venus is how they got their tech. Seems this was to be Steve's fate when the Amazons were pursuing him with Diana, and Diana assuming they would kill him humanely was speculation on her part. It redeems Hippolyta's actions a bit, IMO, as it doesn't look like she would have had Steve harmed until Diana ran into "hostile" enemy territory and she sent Medusa out to deal with combatants.
    - Paula is a superhuman here and is called Uberfraulein.
    - Hippolyta slaps the Venus Girdle on Paula. The scene is kind of creepy, though the Venus Girdles have always been unintentionally creepy, so I'm wondering if that was the intent? I've always wanted them to still have a part in the lore, just not be endorsed and abandoned by the Amazons in favor of other means of rehabilitation. Paula is forced to realize that she was weak for seeking validation in the ideals of a weak man like Hitler. Hippolyta tells her that if she wants to be a slave to the ideas of others, the Amazons code is healthier and they will help her explore her desires with a loving mistress. She says the Girdle will not always be needed. Maybe this is Paula's own unique reaction to this, and not an indication of how the Girdle's always work?
    - Diana is ordered to remain in the city by Hippolyta but disobeys and rides out on Jumpa (yay!), but doesn't get there until after the men are sent away. Paula sees her similarity to Hippolyta and is enraptured by her.
    - Dr. Psycho is brought in by a shadowy group of men who want to learn the secrets of Amazons island and access their technology. They are the ones reviewing the history of Paula. Psycho's face isn't shown, but he appears to be of average height instead of a dwarf. The preview also includes some of Paquette's sketches, and it shows a later scene of Psycho being brought to Paradise island to be sent to Venus, and while he is shorter than the Amazons he is also up to their shoulders. Probably for the best, as his misogyny and sketchy use of his powers are on display here, and depicting the only character with dwarfism as that reprehensible is not a good look.
    - Diana will have a Middle Eastern adventure, and at Grant's insistence, Paquette designed a burka for her to wear for it.
    - Diana gives speeches at universities, and tells a trans student that there is room in her society for not only Trans Wonder Women, but everyone.
    - A less than favorable early review on Good Reads said Maxwell Lord is in this and set up as the big bad of volume 3. UGGGGH.
    end of spoilers

I'm not sure if those who disliked the first volume will be won over by this one, but everything here (aside from that last bit) looks very interesting to me. Glad we have this to tide us over before Wilson starts in November.
    Well it took a while but I finally picked this one up from my box and the LCS.

The art is great.

I enjoyed the poetic way the Amazons speak.

The non-stop man bashing from the first volume continues here, but seems even worse. I mean for gawd's sake, is there not one woman on this whole Earth who will stand up and say she loves her husband/boyfriend/father/son?

Seems like every single woman in Morrisan's world who is not an Amazon is single and angry.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Well it took a while but I finally picked this one up from my box and the LCS.

The art is great.

I enjoyed the poetic way the Amazons speak.

The non-stop man bashing from the first volume continues here, but seems even worse. I mean for gawd's sake, is there not one woman on this whole Earth who will stand up and say she loves her husband/boyfriend/father/son?

Seems like every single woman in Morrisan's world who is not an Amazon is single and angry.
    Etta/Beth isn't man bashing and is close with her brother "Mint" who she presumably loves.

There are men in the rally Diana is to speak at that Psycho sabotaged. Some of the women, especially the ones on the stage, look alarmed when she goes on her Psycho-induced "down with men" tangent. The Amazons still have their misguided (but somewhat understandable, considering what Hercules did) attitude towards men, but otherwise Diana is close friends with Steve and is friendly to Darnell (both of whom are on her side), does stuff like stopping to take a picture with male fans, and Etta has no qualms with men. Basically the only man Etta and the Holliday Girls bash is Psycho, and it's not because they are single and angry.

Extraordinary Member

Etta/Beth isn't man bashing and is close with her brother "Mint" who she presumably loves.

There are men in the rally Diana is to speak at that Psycho sabotaged. Some of the women, especially the ones on the stage, look alarmed when she goes on her Psycho-induced "down with men" tangent. The Amazons still have their misguided (but somewhat understandable, considering what Hercules did) attitude towards men, but otherwise Diana is close friends with Steve and is friendly to Darnell (both of whom are on her side), does stuff like stopping to take a picture with male fans, and Etta has no qualms with men. Basically the only man Etta and the Holliday Girls bash is Psycho, and it's not because they are single and angry.
    Those guys in the crowd look decidedly uncomfortable as the woman around them support Diana's calls to make men kneel in servitude.

I will own that the man bashing pauses on a few panels before resuming through the rest of the book. But any idea that the differing points of view are being given equal weight is mere wishful thinking.

Guys don't even know how to kiss, according to Wonder Woman in this book. They are painted as intrinsically broken things. Useful in some ways but essentially flawed.

They can't even be as happy as women.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Those guys in the crowd look decidedly uncomfortable as the woman around them support Diana's calls to make men kneel in servitude.
    And the two women on stage next to Diana look uncomfortable/incredulous as well. That's a pretty good telegraph that what she's saying (or more accurately, being made to say) isn't good and not everyone there signed up for what she was selling. Psycho's plan went as intended, she alienated both potential male and female allies.

I will own that the man bashing pauses on a few panels before resuming through the rest of the book. But any idea that the differing points of view are being given equal weight is mere wishful thinking.
    When specifically does it pause before it resumes? Because at the end there is some well deserved hatred aimed at a creep like Psycho, but I don't see much else. Diana at most teases Steve about things like Man's World's jets being inferior to Amazon technology but he isn't remotely phased by it. We have men in power being threatened by the Amazons even though they've done nothing to act as aggressors, but we have men like Steve and Darnell who see through that.

Can you list some specific female characters in this who are notably single and bitter and angry towards men because of it? Because if Etta is single she definitely isn't angry. Other women are background characters, and at least a few of them clearly convey with their facial expressions that they do NOT agree with her man bashing at the end.

Guys don't even know how to kiss, according to Wonder Woman in this book. They are painted as intrinsically broken things. Useful in some ways but essentially flawed.
    She teases Leon about his aggressive tactics as a kisser, and wonders why romance can be like that in Man's World. But she doesn't say men are intrinsically those things in that scene. And the all female Amazons society based around loving submission is pointed out as being potentially problematic by Etta, and is actually exploited by Psycho since Diana places her trust in him.

Extraordinary Member

And the two women on stage next to Diana look uncomfortable/incredulous as well. That's a pretty good telegraph that what she's saying (or more accurately, being made to say) isn't good and not everyone there signed up for what she was selling. Psycho's plan went as intended, she alienated both potential male and female allies.

When specifically does it pause before it resumes? Because at the end there is some well deserved hatred aimed at a creep like Psycho, but I don't see much else. Diana at most teases Steve about things like Man's World's jets being inferior to Amazon technology but he isn't remotely phased by it. We have men in power being threatened by the Amazons even though they've done nothing to act as aggressors, but we have men like Steve and Darnell who see through that.

Can you list some specific female characters in this who are notably single and bitter and angry towards men because of it? Because if Etta is single she definitely isn't angry. Other women are background characters, and at least a few of them clearly convey with their facial expressions that they do NOT agree with her man bashing at the end.

She teases Leon about his aggressive tactics as a kisser, and wonders why romance can be like that in Man's World. But she doesn't say men are intrinsically those things in that scene. And the all female Amazons society based around loving submission is pointed out as being potentially problematic by Etta, and is actually exploited by Psycho since Diana places her trust in him.
    She says will show him how to kiss. The context of her analysis and response is that men don't know how to do it very well.

The women on stage are two. The women eating up Diana's diatribe against men number in the hundreds or the thousands. So there's that.

Plus, none of the dissenting women get a chance to reply. Etta says women ruling men isn't a good look, but that is short of stating men have inherent worth.