Amazing Member

Default Kevin "Captain N" Keene vs Kazuto "Kirito" Kirigaya

The Battle of the Game Experts

Kevin "Captain N" Keene (Captain N: The Game Master)

V.S.

Kazuto "Kirito" Kirigaya" (Sword Art Online)

Round 1: All Weapons, Equipment, and Hax
    Round 2: Weapons Only

Final Round: Real Life fight (Location: Downtown Tokyo.)

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Game world versions? Kevin did have the Pause button, but otherwise, Kirito's big thing is his speed and in SAO, he has hellacious regen. I don't see Kevin even putting a dent in him before he gets filleted.

Real World, though? Orbital Scale makes a point to show how out of shape Kirito is. While he does get fit later, Kevin's actually been fighting in Video Land with his real world body for a couple years, actually has legit combat experience against a variety of foes. I think in straight fisticuffs, Kevin might edge it out.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Game world versions? Kevin did have the Pause button, but otherwise, Kirito's big thing is his speed and in SAO, he has hellacious regen. I don't see Kevin even putting a dent in him before he gets filleted.

Real World, though? Orbital Scale makes a point to show how out of shape Kirito is. While he does get fit later, Kevin's actually been fighting in Video Land with his real world body for a couple years, actually has legit combat experience against a variety of foes. I think in straight fisticuffs, Kevin might edge it out.
    he way I look at it is that the battle can go either way. At least for the first two rounds

Round 1 50/50. It depends on who of them pulls their hax first and fast.

Round 2: Again 50/50. If Kevin manages to keep Kirito at a distance and hit Kirito, It's Kevin's. If Kirito manages to get close to Kevin. Kirito wins.

I do agree with Round 3: Kevin in the end.

The problem on Kevin is the fact that we don't know if his equipment works outside of Video Land. I mean would his Nintendo weapons and equipment in SAO, ALO, GGO?

So Video Land is actually like our world, just populated with Video Game characters and not in a virtual-esque world like SAO? Interesting, the intro to Captain N made it look like he is in a video game. Then again, I haven't seen the show in over 20 years. The poor writing on the show made it hard to determine what type of world it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody View Post
    The way I look at it is that the battle can go either way. At least for the first two rounds

Round 1 50/50. It depends on who of them pulls their hax first and fast.
    This is true. Kevin just needs a button press, then he's free to hammer Kirito with laser beams. I'm just not sure if Kirito is too tough for the Zapper. Meanwhile, Kirito just needs a fast draw.

Round 2: Again 50/50. If Kevin manages to keep Kirito at a distance and hit Kirito, It's Kevin's. If Kirito manages to get close to Kevin. Kirito wins.
    Pretty much.

I do agree with Round 3: Kevin in the end.
    Yar.

The problem on Kevin is the fact that we don't know if his equipment works outside of Video Land. I mean would his Nintendo weapons and equipment in SAO, ALO, GGO?
    Well, I mean, Kirito's stuff won't work outside of those games, either. I assumed we were allowing for both to operate on the chosen field.

So Video Land is actually like our world, just populated with Video Game characters and not in a virtual-esque world like SAO? Interesting, the intro to Captain N made it look like he is in a video game. Then again, I haven't seen the show in over 20 years. The poor writing on the show made it hard to determine what type of world it is.
    It's... you know, it's hard to say. I'm pretty certain Video Land was an alternate dimension accessible via transdimensional portals. It is possible that its a virtual world, but one that has evolved into its own reality, the same way the Digital World did in Digimon or the Tron world in the Tron movies. Even if it, say, converted Kevin into living data, or something, I'm pretty sure it effectively fully translates the body between the two states. Evidence for a digital/living data existence is that generic enemies will vanish into a red digitizing effect when hit with the zapper. Then again, it could just be the zapper. Other characters have gotten hurt without having any sort of "life bar" effects.

However, the alternate dimension theory also works on account that Video Land is mostly treated as a cluster of alternate realities already, needing portals to go from world to world, and in two instances where Video Landers manifested in the real world, and real worlders other than Kevin came into Video Land via alternative portal technology (instead of the Power Glove transmitting through a television).

Mind you, it has also been 20 years for me, but I do know it isn't just a virtual reality that Kevin's brain gets stuck in, he's bodily dragged into it, and once there, the various video game realities operate as you say, free acting worlds that happen to be populated by video game characters.
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 10-01-2018 at 07:13 PM.

Amazing Member

So in a sense, Video Land is like a 'living evolved Matrix?'

So in a sense, Video Land is like a 'living evolved Matrix?'
    I guess you could call it that. Again, I'm thinking that if it is Digital, it's probably more like the Digital World of Digimon. Created or triggered by humanity's emerging computer technology, but it's own separate dimension. Might make sense, if it was a universe that somehow keyed into the data of video games, and built its reality around those concepts. So it's informed by the video games, but not necessarily beholden to their continuity, especially once outside elements are introduced.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    I guess you could call it that. Again, I'm thinking that if it is Digital, it's probably more like the Digital World of Digimon. Created or triggered by humanity's emerging computer technology, but it's own separate dimension. Might make sense, if it was a universe that somehow keyed into the data of video games, and built its reality around those concepts. So it's informed by the video games, but not necessarily beholden to their continuity, especially once outside elements are introduced.
    That actually makes a lot of sense. To me, having Kevin on his own home turf (Video Land) would at least give him equal footing with Kirito. Anywhere else, especially the worlds of SAO, ALO, GGO etc. in his present form, it would be generally assumed that Kevin has no chance. We don't know how good of a gamer Kevin really is outside of 8-bit Nintendo games, and to an extent, Gameboy games (assumed since the Gameboy debuted in the 2nd season, I believe.)

Could Kevin do well in SAO or any of the VRMMORPG games? Possibly. It would depend on how much time and prep he needs to learn about the games of SAO. It's a known fact that his Nintendo Zapper and equipment won't work since they are considered obsolete in SAO'S era,.

If we were to take account that Video Land is a digital living world ran by coding, then Kirito would have next to no issues in Video Land. Since the entire world of Video Land is nothing but a mere composite of 8-bit Nintendo games the coding within that area would be a miniscule fraction to the digital coding in SAO. Kirito would have about at least half or three-quarters of the time to learn about the digital coding enviroment of Video Land, as compared to him learning about SAO. That is why the first round is extremely crucial on their dependence of firing the first shot, hax wise.
    Last edited by Bloody; 10-02-2018 at 07:14 PM.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

As far as damage dealing ability goes, it's hard to give a good estimation for the zapper because of how it was presented, but at the very least, it caused immediate critical existence failure for the occasional gigantic monster.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    As far as damage dealing ability goes, it's hard to give a good estimation for the zapper because of how it was presented, but at the very least, it caused immediate critical existence failure for the occasional gigantic monster.
    That reminds me, does the Zapper have limited energy? It's been about years since I have seen the show. Also, is his pause button on limited time
    ?

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

That reminds me, does the Zapper have limited energy? It's been about years since I have seen the show. Also, is his pause button on limited time
    ?
    They run out of energy when the plot says they do, which varies wildly, but pause at least, was usually fairly limited.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    They run out of energy when the plot says they do, which varies wildly, but pause at least, was usually fairly limited.
    Then my theory still stands for the first two rounds. Kevin must be fast, accurate, and a ridiculous amount of luck to win.