Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Default Star Wars: The Last Jedi hate amplified by Russian Trolls

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...y-says-1148475

I'm not entirely surprised by this. I've stated this on these boards that a lot of stuff we see and read online is driven by outside forces (especially the anti-female, anti-minority voices).

As much as I disliked The Last Jedi, the whole "political screaming" on social media did seem rather overblown and borderline nonsensical. Worse still, are the "real people" (mostly alt-right folks) that latch onto this and start attacking actors and creators.

All this being said, I'm not convinced that the split in the audience is completely down to Russian Trolls. That sounds a little too convenient.
    Last edited by Username taken; 10-02-2018 at 01:12 AM.

Or maybe, it's because lot of people didn't like the movie?

Gee, what nonsense am i saying now? Obviously it has to be some outside evil force at work.

Obviously.

And of course Russians lol, cause it has to be Russians right?
    Last edited by Starter Set; 10-02-2018 at 01:28 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Or maybe, it's because lot of people didn't like the movie?

Gee, what nonsense am i saying now? Obviously it has to be some outside evil force at work.

Obviously.

And of course Russians lol, cause it has to be Russians right?
    Yeah, while I agree the social media reaction was exaggerated, a lot of people just genuinely didn't like the Last Jedi.

When I first read the article, I almost got confused thinking i was somehow a brainwashed Russian troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Yeah, while I agree the social media reaction was exaggerated, a lot of people just genuinely didn't like the Last Jedi.

When I first read the article, I almost got confused thinking i was somehow a brainwashed Russian troll.
    There sure is a lot of passion around Star Wars and people tend to have extreme reactions when it comes to it. (one way or the other)

And Satan knows we sure have no lack of trolls. I personally find quite stupid most comments about how "political" the movie is supposed to be. You can easily see what the guys posting that kind of **** really mean by that.

All that being said, yeah, i found the movie to be terrible. Lot of people did.

Simple truth of it.

BANNED

The sources and methodology of the actual paper seem sound.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    The sources and methodology of the actual paper seem sound.
    No doubt. I don't think anyone can really deny what's being put forth here.

Just that a good number of people (outside the Russian Troll problem) had problem with the Last Jedi, just that the negativity has been exaggerated by Trolls and bots.

"A lot of people did not like The Last Jedi."

* Highest grossing movie of the year.
    * Critically acclaimed.
    * Socially acclaimed.
    * Highest blu ray/DVD sales of the year.

A vocal minority did not like the movie. Stop with the "a lot of people" nonsense, it's just not true.

And this research paper has sound methodology and sourced material, whereas the "a lot of people did not like TLJ" is purely anecdotal.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

* Critically acclaimed.
    * Socially acclaimed.
    Socially acclaimed lol?

But sure, you know what? If that can make you happy then yes, let's say that this movie was universally praised, every single being on that planet (ants included) was AMAZED by such a brilliant piece of pure genius.

Yeah, no problem at all there. Not a single one.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

* Critically acclaimed.
    * Socially acclaimed.

A vocal minority did not like the movie. Stop with the "a lot of people" nonsense, it's just not true.

And this research paper has sound methodology and sourced material, whereas the "a lot of people did not like TLJ" is purely anecdotal.
    You really need to dial it down.

1. I've long defended this movie even though i didn't like it. If you don't believe that a good number of people (my exact phrase) didn't have a problem with the movie then that's your prerogative. Although, I would have appreciated it if had actually read the article that i posted that does indeed show that a good number of people (21.7% about 50% was Russian and/or political) did tweet negatively about the Last Jedi.

2. I don't know what social acclaim and I don't even think it's a measurable metric so I'm not even going to address that. Critical acclaim isn't a yard stick for fan satisfaction.

2. The Last Jedi is NOT the highest selling blu ray/DVD of the year. https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/09...-blu-ray-2018/.

Please, get your facts straight.

Besides, somehow suggesting that almost everyone liked/loved the Last Jedi (or any other movie for that matter) is totally ridiculous. Like seriously..WTF??
    Last edited by Username taken; 10-02-2018 at 09:17 AM.

BANNED

Socially acclaimed lol?
    Among the people I personally know, the like/dislike for the film falls almost completely along the political left/rightwing divide/

Socially acclaimed lol?

But sure, you know what? If that can make you happy then yes, let's say that this movie was universally praised, every single being on that planet (ants included) was AMAZED by such a brilliant piece of pure genius.

Yeah, no problem at all there. Not a single one.
    Social acclaim is not universal acclaim. That would be silly. :P

You can check whatever social media site you want, while negative opinions existed, they still were in the minority. Says so on the article, too.

And that's not saying they had no merit, either.

I have problems with the movie like I do most movies, it was far from perfect but a breath of fresh air for Star Wars.

1. I've long defended this movie even though i didn't like it. If you don't believe that a good number of people (my exact phrase) didn't have a problem with the movie then that's your prerogative. Although, I would have appreciated it if had actually read the article that i posted that does indeed show that a good number of people (21.7% about 50% was Russian and/or political) did tweet negatively about the Last Jedi.
    Personal insult aside, I did read the article ... well ahead of it being a topic as a thread here ... as well as the research paper the author wrote ... less than 1/4 of people is not "a lot of people." That implies a majority. 25% or less is a minority.

2. I don't know what social acclaim and I don't even think it's a measurable metric so I'm not even going to address that. Critical acclaim isn't a yard stick for fan satisfaction.
    I used the article's information that was sourced. You can check whatever social media site you want, while negative opinions existed, they still were in the minority. The research paper says that, too.

Critical acclaim is a measure of success. It's rare movies get critical acclaim AND do well in the BO.

2. The Last Jedi is NOT the highest selling blu ray/DVD of the year. https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/09...-blu-ray-2018/.
    It was. And still is.

https://www.the-numbers.com/home-mar...ray-sales/2018

Please sir, get your facts straight.

EDIT:

There seems to be a cache glitch going on with the Numbers. And it appears that you are correct.

It is #2 now in the US for units sold. Still worldwide #1 and total profit #1 for DVDs/blu rays. My point still stands. It's not like TLJ under sold blu rays/DVDs.

Besides, somehow suggesting that almost everyone liked/loved the Last Jedi (or any other movie for that matter) is totally ridiculous. Like seriously..WTF??
    I'm not suggesting that. I did not imply that. If I did, I'm sorry. That was not my intent. I am taking issue with the "majority" claim of dislike/hate.

I'm tired of the nonsense that it was universally hated. Or even widely hated.

It's still a minority opinion to say either of those.

The research paper and article just further prove that the minority opinion was amplified.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 10-02-2018 at 09:47 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

Please, get your facts straight.

Factoring in the worldwide gross, TLJ is still the highest selling Bluray by a pretty wide margin. And it has still made the most money through Bluray domestically even though Black Panther is slightly ahead in terms of units sold.

As for ' a lot,' a lot of people disliked it. It seems that more people liked it. So many people saw it and have opinions on it that every kind of opinion has 'a lot' of people who think that way.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 10-02-2018 at 09:46 AM.

BANNED

More desperate spin. Nothing to see here.

And I don't think there's anything wrong with being in a "minority" even if that were true, especially where this film is concerned.

The SW prequels profited at the box office and had it's fans too. Doesn't mean anything, history has born them out to be divisive failures, same will happen with Last Jedi.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 10-02-2018 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    More desperate spin from the desperate left. Nothing to see here.
    Our political thread is here.

By shills.

And I don't think there's anything wrong with being in a "minority" even if that were true, especially where this film is concerned.
    I didn't get paid to write good things when I reviewed TLJ. I just got paid to write a review. I've yet to meet anyone that was paid for a good review (which is different than being paid to write a positive summary) and have seen little to no evidence that this occurs.

And there's nothing wrong with being in a minority.

BANNED

Thanks for the political thread. Moving over there, post edited