Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    More desperate spin. Nothing to see here.

And I don't think there's anything wrong with being in a "minority" even if that were true, especially where this film is concerned.

The SW prequels profited at the box office and had it's fans too. Doesn't mean anything, history has born them out to be divisive failures, same will happen with Last Jedi.
    I don't think the prequels are seen as divisive failures either, for a whole generation of kids those are their Star Wars movies and they love them every bit as we loved the original trilogy growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Among the people I personally know, the like/dislike for the film falls almost completely along the political left/rightwing divide/
    Most of the people in my gaming group disliked it - they range from a Berniecrat to a guy who can't hear the alt-right criticized without whatabouting antifa, to several positions in between. Currently the game is....Star Wars (SAGA edition for you gamer nerds out there).

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Most of the people in my gaming group disliked it - they range from a Berniecrat to a guy who can't hear the alt-right criticized without whatabouting antifa, to several positions in between. Currently the game is....Star Wars (SAGA edition for you gamer nerds out there).
    I know people on complete opposite sides of the political spectrum that only agree on the fact that TLJ was a bad movie. The dislike for this movie has been blamed on every thing from political bias to Russian hacking. The world is sad.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Currently, the right is only spurred by issues of cultural aggrievement and loss of traditional social privilege so amplifying a film like the Last Jedi is perfect to keeping these people enraged. I said this before when I gave my first review of the film, but if your legit angry with the film now almost a year after its release, you are probably not that reasonable of a person.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    I know people on complete opposite sides of the political spectrum that only agree on the fact that TLJ was a bad movie. The dislike for this movie has been blamed on every thing from political bias to Russian hacking. The world is sad.
    Russian troll farms having a part doesn't surprise me - that standard operating procedure is to see any cracks in society and make them wider. No matter small, I expect to see them fanning the flames each and every time because that's just who they are.

Man, just when you think that The Onion can't get any better they go and top themselves.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Currently, the right is only spurred by issues of cultural aggrievement and loss of traditional social privilege so amplifying a film like the Last Jedi is perfect to keeping these people enraged. I said this before when I gave my first review of the film, but if your legit angry with the film now almost a year after its release, you are probably not that reasonable of a person.
    It comes up more in my circle just because Star Wars is the subject of our current RPG campaign. I can't speak for other members, but I'm currently more upset at what used to be my favorite fan channel finish devolving into their Empire fanboyism. It's become like watching Fox, so I've stopped watching.

The guys patterned after the Nazis are always the bad guys - and the internet trend of claiming the obvious villains are the real heroes of any series really needs to die yesterday.

...Why would the Russians care? I liked the movie well enough but this seems like a silly thing to deflect. Its a film with mixed critical reception. Why is that so hard to accept? That's a rhetorical question btw, I know the reason. Its the political element.

As far as being divisive failures though, that's not accurate either. The reputation of the Prequels has actually grown in recent times. Its a divisive success, not a divisive failure. The movies themselves made tons of cash in their own right, and they resulted in other medias spin-offs that are more beloved than mixed. I wouldn't have thought it at the time considering a lot of the vitriol, but this era has actual aged well as opposed to poorly. If TLJ ages like the prequel era has that'd actually be good news for the sequel trilogy.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-02-2018 at 02:08 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Man, just when you think that The Onion can't get any better they go and top themselves.
    Post o' the thread.

Bravo!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    ...Why would the Russians care? I liked the movie well enough but this seems like a silly thing to deflect. Its a film with mixed critical reception. Why is that so hard to accept? That's a rhetorical question btw, I know the reason. Its the political element.

As far as being divisive failures though, that's not accurate either. The reputation of the Prequels has actually grown in recent times. Its a divisive success, not a divisive failure. The movies themselves made tons of cash in their own right, and they resulted in other medias spin-offs that are more beloved than mixed. I wouldn't have thought it at the time considering a lot of the vitriol, but this era has actual aged well as opposed to poorly. If TLJ ages like the prequel era has that'd actually be good news for the sequel trilogy.
    About the film? I doubt they care much at all, but they always seem to care about anything that has Americans arguing with Americans. There is a demonstrated tendency for them to magnify such things and it seems to cut across all political boundaries (the troll farms often support both sides of any issue).

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

There's a real easy solution to all of this: If your complaint about the film was that it had "too much diversity" then you don't deserve to be heard. If your complaint about the film is that it completely upended the original trilogy and ruined the three main characters, then you have a legitimate complaint. You're welcome.
    Assassinate Putin!

There is a direct line between the culture wars, which Star Wars is now a part of, and the election of Donald Trump, a candidate the Russian government supported. By accentuating the idea that former cultural touchstones no longer belong to 'you' (white, male Americans), the Russians are more likely to spur turn out among that demographic. The Russians also supported black, anti-Hillary groups with the intention of suppressing the black vote by accentuating the woman's role in targeting black youths for incarceration.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

...Why would the Russians care?
    Does it matter? There is evidence.

Appreciate the responses. Sucks that Star Wars has been swept up in this ****.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-02-2018 at 03:35 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Post o' the thread.

Bravo!
    I was originally going to say "That report is nonsense everyone knows that in Russia the movie trolls you!" But I didn't think the board would get the Yakov Smirnoff reference https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakov_Smirnoff
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest