Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Green Lantern (all of 'em) Appreciation Thread

This might crash and burn, but I'd like to give this a shot. Is it possible to have an appreciation thread for Green Lantern that isn't specifically about any one GL? I dunno, I'm not sure if that's something people are interested in, but I would certainly like a place to chat about one of my favorite DC properties without feeling the need to make it specifically about either Alan or Hal or John or Kyle or Jessica or whomever without it devolving into a list of grievances or pissing contests over who is better.

I like ALL the Green Lanterns. I don't like them all equally, but I would read about any of them if the creative team and stories were good enough. Conversely, I would just as quickly stop reading them if they were not, as I have and will no doubt do again.

Here's the ground rules for this thread that I hope we can all abide by:

1) This is a place for people who like Green Lantern, not for fans of one or two particular characters, but who strongly dislike others. This thread is not for you.

2) You don't have to be completely enthusiastic about every GL either, but you need to be respectful and kind towards those who don't share your specific taste. We can certainly debate over who is most awesome and tease each other's favorites in jest, but, if you ever find yourself taking it too serious, please move on. This thread is not for that.

3) This is not the place to argue over how much or little attention either Alan, Hal, John, Guy, Kyle, Simon, nor Jessica are currently getting. This thread is not about that.

4) Discussions of all the various alien GLs like Kilowog, Arisia, Ch'p and the rest are not only appropriate, but encouraged. GL-centric characters like Jade, Obsidian, and the Darkstars are also fair game. This thread is not just about the main GLs of Earth. It's about Green Lantern. All of 'em.

5) That's it. The main thing is, don't be douche. If you suspect you might be acting like a douche, please take a breath and stop. This thread is not for that.

Okay. Step one. Please list off your favorite Green Lanterns, why you like them and give one example that best shows what's awesome about them.

Thanks for your time.

This looks like it might be a most welcomed respite from the usual GL fan tensions - I'm all in!

More later, but fav non-human GL's:
    -- Arisia
    -- Salaak
    -- Hollika Rahn
    -- Stel
    -- The Puffball Collective

Extraordinary Member

This is a much needed thread. I enjoy most of the GL characters, and I'd rather not spend time posting negative about heroes.

Although, I can go on rants about Sinestro....

I love the Four Musketeers. I grew up on Hal via Superfriends. I learned about, and grew attached to John & Guy during the 80's. Kyle grew on me.

They all have unique traits that compliment each other.

I would love to get a GLC series where these guys, plus Kilowog & Arisia, can enjoy character arcs in a sci-fi setting.

Would it be better to make it about the various members of the Green Lantern Corps and have Alan Scott stay in his own separate appreciation thread(s)?

Alan does have a bit less in common with the others (besides his name).

I love Salakk. I love that he's this six armed grumpy middle management type with a pickle for a head who also happens to be fearless and honest enough to be worthy to wield a GL ring. My favorite moment with him was when he pretended not to cry at the end of a particularly touching issue of GLCorps during Englehart & Staton's run because of course he would.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I love Salakk. I love that he's this six armed grumpy middle management type with a pickle for a head who also happens to be fearless and honest enough to be worthy to wield a GL ring. My favorite moment with him was when he pretended not to cry at the end of a particularly touching issue of GLCorps during Englehart & Staton's run because of course he would.
    Ol' Picklehead needs a Ch'p to bounce off of - they were an awesome odd couple/bromance!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Would it be better to make it about the various members of the Green Lantern Corps and have Alan Scott stay in his own separate appreciation thread(s)?

Alan does have a bit less in common with the others (besides his name).
    No thanks.

If he's called Green Lantern and he's wearing a power ring that he charges on a power battery that is filled with the magical energies collected by Guardians of Oa that became sentient and collided with a dying member of the GLCorps... guess what? It's all Green Lantern and it's all connected.

I am sick and tired of Green Lantern fans segregating themselves into their own little fiefdoms.

This is a thread about appreciating Green Lantern. Period. Not some Green Lanterns. Not just Earth's Green Lanterns. Green Lantern. ALL OF 'EM!

Now, if you'll excuse me. I am feeling like I am being a tad douchey so I am going to take a breath and take a little break before posting in this thread
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 10-02-2018 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Ol' Picklehead needs a Ch'p to bounce off of - they were an awesome odd couple/bromance!
    I miss Ch'p dearly, but B'dg has been a perfectly wonderful successor in my view. My favorite moments with Simon Bad was his relationship with B'dg.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    ... I grew up on Hal via Superfriends...
    Me as well! I also had the random GL comic growing up, but it wasn't really until Guy showed up in "Legends" that got my attention because I wondered what happened to the GL I knew growing up. That sent me to pick up the GLC title and I've been a huge fan since!

Extraordinary Member

I am sick and tired of Green Lantern fans segregating themselves into their own little fiefdoms.

This is a thread about appreciating Green Lantern. Period. Not some Green Lanterns. Not just Earth's Green Lanterns. Green Lantern. ALL OF 'EM!

If he's called Green Lantern and he's wearing a power ring that he charges on a power battery that is filled with the magical energies collected by Guardians of Oa that became sentient and collided with a dying member of the GLCorps...
    Okay, when did that retcon come into play?

Forgive me, but my experience / appreciation of Alan pre-dates him being on the same Earth as the GLC, so I don't always recall/embrace efforts that were later made to tie him into Hal's/the GLC's mythos. (Hell, I started reading this stuff before Steve Englehart made the Manhunters a major part of the GLC's past!)

Spectacular Member AimToTheStar's Avatar

What a great way to bring us together!

''There were other women, of course. But none of them mattered. Not like her. She was the one.'' -Hal Jordan.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Maybe someone in this thread can reveal whatever happened to Brik!?

I always liked her, and was pleasantly surprised to see her make a bit of a comeback during the New 52... however she seemed to disappear at some point. If it was ever addressed on page, I must've blinked and missed it.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES