Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Me as well! I also had the random GL comic growing up, but it wasn't really until Guy showed up in "Legends" that got my attention because I wondered what happened to the GL I knew growing up. That sent me to pick up the GLC title and I've been a huge fan since!
    I had a similar experience with John Stewart (and Katma). I was Byrne-stealing (don't judge me) a New Teen Titans story where they were defeated by Brother Blood, then on the last page a slew of heroes had gathered. It made sense Batman was included, but I was like....who is the black guy (and alien lady) dressed as GL....and where the hell was Hal?!

On a side note, it was the first time I ever saw Booster Gold.

Okay...I also engaged in Byrne-stealing (I had a very limited budget back then) the iconic one punch in Justice League.

I never felt they took anything away from Hal. It just meant being GL was different that other heroes putting on a custom, and fighting crime.

The different perspectives introduced through other GLs only made me appreciate Hal even more.

This is just a really great franchise, its just not being properly utilized.

Extraordinary Member

This is probably still my favorite GL story.

Seeing those five together was just awesome.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Okay, when did that retcon come into play?

Forgive me, but my experience / appreciation of Alan pre-dates him being on the same Earth as the GLC, so I don't always recall/embrace efforts that were later made to tie him into Hal's/the GLC's mythos. (Hell, I started reading this stuff before Steve Englehart made the Manhunters a major part of the GLC's past!)
    Again, let me apologize for being curt with you. That was against the very spirit of this thread.

If memory serves, the Starheart was first established as being the source of the mysterious green meteor back during the late era Denny O'Neil GL/GA run.

Gerard Jones & Alan Scott's creator Mart Nodell introduced the idea that a dying alien member of the GLCorps named Yulan Gur was the spirit that guided the green lamp through the millennia before choosing Alan Scott to receive its power. Yulan Gur is also the reason that Alan's ring has a weakness to wood because he was beaten to death by wooden clubs by the human villagers in ancient China.

Ron Marz subsequently combined both ideas and that was Alan's origin until the New 52 nuked him and his children out of existence

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Gerard Jones & Alan Scott's creator Mart Nodell introduced the idea that a dying alien member of the GLCorps named Yulan Gur was the spirit that guided the green lamp through the millennia before choosing Alan Scott to receive its power. Yulan Gur is also the reason that Alan's ring has a weakness to wood because he was beaten to death by wooden clubs by the human villagers in ancient China.
    Green_Lantern_Vol_3_19.jpg

In this awesome issue, right here! ^^^
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Favorite Alien Green Lanterns:
    Katma
    Arisia
    Soranik
    Kilowag
    Bdg

What's the best comics to read about Jade where she's actively in the story? Her design is neat but I don't know where to start.

BANNED

Hopefully there won't be any character fan base fighting

And here's to my favourite lantern couple

kyle_x_sora_by_ginichimaru401-d5hyl5w.jpg

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Uhh... I've only read glimpses and pieces but so far my favorites are Hal, Kyle, and Jessica.
    Hal is noisy, reckless, but brave (of course). Most importantly though, his antics are funny. He's very... main character.
    Kyle is awkward, dorky, and kind
    Jessica's just cute. The way she acts and speaks is very Tumblr, the good/dorky/cute part of Tumblr.
    Guy is not the type I usually like, but I'm interested in him as a foil.
    John, I don't know much yet. He's quiet and serious, often a leader and seems to be the most stable and reliable.
    Simon... also don't know much. I know his backstory, but character wise he doesn't exactly attract me.

I noticed that the ones I'm least interested are the quiet ones or at least people who don't have personalities that stand out. Make sense since I arrived when there's already so many of them, so the one that attract me would be either the relatable one or the loud one.

The dorks. By relatable I meant the dorks. ^^
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-02-2018 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I think Guy is the only Earth Lantern of the core four missing from this (although I think Simon was around when the cover was produced).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Guy is the only Earth Lantern of the core four missing from this (although I think Simon was around when the cover was produced).
    Yea, Guy wasn't present in this cover.

This was created right after the Geoff Johns' Green Lantern era. That was when John, Hal, Kyle, and Guy had their own books. Simon played a role in Godhead. I believe he appeared in Red Lanterns.

I hate that Darwin Cooke passed away

Gotta show love to my boy Kilowog

THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    1) This is a place for people who like Green Lantern, not for fans of one or two particular characters, but who strongly dislike others. This thread is not for you.

2) You don't have to be completely enthusiastic about every GL either, but you need to be respectful and kind towards those who don't share your specific taste. We can certainly debate over who is most awesome and tease each other's favorites in jest, but, if you ever find yourself taking it too serious, please move on. This thread is not for that.

3) This is not the place to argue over how much or little attention either Alan, Hal, John, Guy, Kyle, Simon, nor Jessica are currently getting. This thread is not about that.

4) Discussions of all the various alien GLs like Kilowog, Arisia, Ch'p and the rest are not only appropriate, but encouraged. GL-centric characters like Jade, Obsidian, and the Darkstars are also fair game. This thread is not just about the main GLs of Earth. It's about Green Lantern. All of 'em.

5) That's it. The main thing is, don't be douche. If you suspect you might be acting like a douche, please take a breath and stop. This thread is not for that.

Okay. Step one. Please list off your favorite Green Lanterns, why you like them and give one example that best shows what's awesome about them.

Thanks for your time.
    Good luck with that

I personally disagree with the first rule. There's nothing wrong at all for a fan liking one or two Green Lantern characters. It certainly doesn't make them any less of a Green Lantern fan than a fan of a whole bunch of Green Lantern characters. They should just appreciate the couple of Green Lantern characters they like and keep the ones who they strongly dislike to themselves.

BANNED

I personally disagree with the first rule. There's nothing wrong at all for a fan liking one or two Green Lantern characters. It certainly doesn't make them any less of a Green Lantern fan than a fan of a whole bunch of Green Lantern characters. They should just appreciate the couple of Green Lantern characters they like and keep the ones who they strongly dislike to themselves.
    Of course you disagree since you wrote that let's hate hal bait thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I hate that Darwin Cooke passed away
    Me too. He was one of the greats.
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Gotta show love to my boy Kilowog

I think Kilowog is probably the only Lantern everybody likes .