Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Ok, could you please explain your issue with the rule again? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you. Here's the rule again.

1) This is a place for people who like Green Lantern, not for fans of one or two particular characters, but who strongly dislike others. This thread is not for you.

If I am understanding your concern, you want to contribute the thread to show your love of John, Katma or other GL characters, while still continuing to strongly dislike Hal Jordan, correct? If you can do that without dragging any of that hate and negativity into this thread, go right ahead, but rule #5 must be sacrosanct and obeyed above all other rules.

5) That's it. The main thing is, don't be douche. If you suspect you might be acting like a douche, please take a breath and stop. This thread is not for that.

If anyone thinks they can bend rule #1 ever so slightly without breaking rule #5, be my guest, but please tread lightly and I thank you all for your help in helping keep this place a fun and inclusive appreciation thread that all Green Lantern fans that enjoy without fear of getting nerd monkey poop hurled at them for not liking the exact same flavor of GL ice cream as they do.
    Yea, that's correct. Just contribute to the thread and share your love for the character(s) you appreciate, without dragging hate and negativity to any other character(s) that you may dislike in this thread.

Thanks, Bored.
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 10-02-2018 at 06:32 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Yea, that's correct. Just contribute to the thread and share your love for the character(s) you appreciate, without dragging hate and negativity to any other characters that a you may dislike in this thread.

Thanks, Bored.
    No problem. I'm glad if this clarification makes you feel more comfortable contributing to the thread.

Actually, while you're here, I have a more John-centric question for you and anyone else you wants to throw their two cents in as it relates to leadership of the GLCorps and John's new position as the main GL of the core Justice League team.

Should John keep both gigs? Should he step down and devote himself to the League? If so, could the next leader of the GLCorps not be another guy from Earth, please? I mean, Arisia's right there! She's a third generation Green Lantern, she's a hundred years old and has a pretty spotless record as a GL and leader.

Or is the concept of a mere Green Lantern, no matter how formidable, leading the GLCorps redundant now that Morrison is planning on re-positioning the Guardians of the Universe back to being unknowable, ancient beings whose morality, knowledge and wisdom is so far beyond our mortal comprehension as opposed to the ineffectual, squabbling and out of touch senile despots that they've too often been since Denny O'Neil got his hands on them.

I haven't been reading JLA, but I read interviews that mentioned John was going to step down due to the Guardians keeping secrets or somesuch - typical "The Guardians are control freaks" stuff. Has that happened yet? It certainly doesn't gibe with how Morrison is going to handle them. With the Guardians back it does seem unnecessary for a GL to lead them. I would think any leader of the GLC would need to be on Mogo and I always want to see more spotlight on the non-earthers. Salakk as team liaison/logistics guy is a good role for him, as is Kilowog's role as drill seargent. Arisia definitely needs something to do though - Honor Guard at the very least. (anything's a step up from half-naked cheerleader)

No problem. I'm glad if this clarification makes you feel more comfortable contributing to the thread.

Actually, while you're here, I have a more John-centric question for you and anyone else you wants to throw their two cents in as it relates to leadership of the GLCorps and John's new position as the main GL of the core Justice League team.

Should John keep both gigs? Should he step down and devote himself to the League? If so, could the next leader of the GLCorps not be another guy from Earth, please? I mean, Arisia's right there! She's a third generation Green Lantern, she's a hundred years old and has a pretty spotless record as a GL and leader.

Or is the concept of a mere Green Lantern, no matter how formidable, leading the GLCorps redundant now that Morrison is planning on re-positioning the Guardians of the Universe back to being unknowable, ancient beings whose morality, knowledge and wisdom is so far beyond our mortal comprehension as opposed to the ineffectual, squabbling and out of touch senile despots that they've too often been since Denny O'Neil got his hands on them.
    I think John Stewart should step down as the leader of the Green Lantern Corps and have another Green Lantern take over. Because there's a larger stake on what's going on with the Multiverse. Justice League needs all of the help they can get from John Stewart, where he uses his knowledge and past GLC experiences to figure out ways to help the League to save the Multiverse. Having two different positions is rather risky for John Stewart, imo. I wouldn't mind Arisia taking over, given her age and experience. I'm also sure there's other good non-human candidates such as Kilowog, Von Daggle (he was the leader of the Corpse Black Op's), and maybe Salaak.

At this point in time, there should be a leader of the GLC from now on and shouldn't change. Given what happened with the Guardians' involvement with the Third Army, there should always be a GLC leader to keep the Guardians in check. Come to think of it, maybe the GLC should have their own internal affairs.

Love the Corps.
    Grew up with Jordan, Stewart, and Gardner, and a terrific cast of aliens.
    Always imagined, the three lead humans as analogous with Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. The cocky one, the analytical one, and the crotchety one
    I hated what they did to them and the Corps just to introduce Kyle, but I love the idea of the young artist GL
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-02-2018 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I haven't been reading JLA, but I read interviews that mentioned John was going to step down due to the Guardians keeping secrets or somesuch - typical "The Guardians are control freaks" stuff. Has that happened yet? It certainly doesn't gibe with how Morrison is going to handle them. With the Guardians back it does seem unnecessary for a GL to lead them. I would think any leader of the GLC would need to be on Mogo and I always want to see more spotlight on the non-earthers. Salakk as team liaison/logistics guy is a good role for him, as is Kilowog's role as drill seargent. Arisia definitely needs something to do though - Honor Guard at the very least. (anything's a step up from half-naked cheerleader)
    I would agree about the leader of the GLCorps needing to be primarily stationed on Oa/Mogo (what's the deal there anyway? Is Mogo now Oa? Is Oa back?). The justification for Hal Jordan leaving the League during the New 52 was that he needed to be on Oa because he was now leader of the GLCorps. Of course the real reason was that the GL movie had flopped, he'd been cut from the upcoming JL movie and Johns needed a break from writing him after more than decade, but the in-story reason was that Hal wouldn't have time to be both GLCorps leader and a member of the League. John is still leader of the GLCorps in the most recent issue of Supergirl, so I'm not sure what the plan is here.

Again, my personal preference would be Arisia or no one at all. If the job is just being field commander during big battles, sure, I think John's got the best strategic mind in the GLCorps and he knows how to use its members to the greatest advantage. Have Hal leading the charge towards whatever the most dangerous threat is that has the highest chance of being a suicide mission. Stick Guy & Kilowog in the middle of the worst, most desperate fight and have them rally the troops through sheer machismo and stubbornness. Give Kyle seemingly impossible tasks that require thinking outside the box and creativity rather than simply punching something. And so on.

When $#!+ hits the fan, I still want John Stewart calling the shots and playing five dimensional chess with his enemy, but I don't really have much interest in seeing him deal with administrative stuff on Oa anymore. Salaak is better suited for that and Arisia would make for a damn fine administrator, spokesperson and ambassador to the various civilization the GLCorps is entangled with. I'd rather see John with League alongside the world's greatest heroes.

Always been a Kilowog fan

Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    At this point in time, there should be a leader of the GLC from now on and shouldn't change. Given what happened with the Guardians' involvement with the Third Army, there should always be a GLC leader to keep the Guardians in check. Come to think of it, maybe the GLC should have their own internal affairs.
    Ooooo, that's a good idea. The initial justification for the Alpha Lanterns was to serve as the GLCorps' internal affairs, but that was just another brick in Johns's larger "The Guardians are the real villains!" subplot.

Who should be in charge? Von Daggle might be nice, but I prefer him as the GLCorps's spy/Black Ops guy. Who has the temperament for that kind of job while also having enough respect and credibility within the Corps to be entrusted with investigating its own members?

Who should be in charge?
    FREE-WILL.
    It's what fuels the rings. There should be no single leader.
    The Guardians made it so free will was the ultimate expression of the universes, harnessed that power and had it find and connect with it's greatest champions.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    FREE-WILL.
    It's what fuels the rings. There should be no single leader.
    The Guardians made it so free will was the ultimate expression of the universes, harnessed that power and had it find and connect with it's greatest champions.
    I like this idea a lot.

BANNED

Cool fan art I found of the earth's lanterns

הורד.jpg

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I like this idea a lot.
    Me too. Especially since all of them are capable of the same feats and have their space sectors, the distinction being the experience. There's always going to be trainer and trainee, but once they graduate they become equal partners.

I would agree about the leader of the GLCorps needing to be primarily stationed on Oa/Mogo (what's the deal there anyway? Is Mogo now Oa? Is Oa back?). The justification for Hal Jordan leaving the League during the New 52 was that he needed to be on Oa because he was now leader of the GLCorps. Of course the real reason was that the GL movie had flopped, he'd been cut from the upcoming JL movie and Johns needed a break from writing him after more than decade, but the in-story reason was that Hal wouldn't have time to be both GLCorps leader and a member of the League. John is still leader of the GLCorps in the most recent issue of Supergirl, so I'm not sure what the plan is here.

Again, my personal preference would be Arisia or no one at all. If the job is just being field commander during big battles, sure, I think John's got the best strategic mind in the GLCorps and he knows how to use its members to the greatest advantage. Have Hal leading the charge towards whatever the most dangerous threat is that has the highest chance of being a suicide mission. Stick Guy & Kilowog in the middle of the worst, most desperate fight and have them rally the troops through sheer machismo and stubbornness. Give Kyle seemingly impossible tasks that require thinking outside the box and creativity rather than simply punching something. And so on.

When $#!+ hits the fan, I still want John Stewart calling the shots and playing five dimensional chess with his enemy, but I don't really have much interest in seeing him deal with administrative stuff on Oa anymore. Salaak is better suited for that and Arisia would make for a damn fine administrator, spokesperson and ambassador to the various civilization the GLCorps is entangled with. I'd rather see John with League alongside the world's greatest heroes.
    If i may throw my two cents in; i think it would be good to take John away from the Corp stuff for a bit. He seems like the Lantern who's likely to have learned the most for alien cultures (as leader of the Corp, his relationship with Katma, his time on Mosaic, etc.) - the league could use that with the changing cosmic landscape. It would be interesting to see how his character bounces off the DC universe beyond the Corp for a while. However, I agree, when it's time for war John should always the first one they call.

I also think if they are moving toward making the Guardians leads from on high again then it seems kinda redundant having a Lantern lead under them. However, it would be interesting to have distinguished corpsmen like Arisia, Salaak, Kilowog (and whoever isn't being used from Earth) serve as committee of some kind; like union management or a shadow council for the Corp.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-02-2018 at 10:54 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    If i may throw my two cents in; i think it would be good to take John away from the Corp stuff for a bit. He seems like the Lantern who's likely to have learned the most for alien cultures (as leader of the Corp, his relationship with Katma, his time on Mosaic, etc.) - the league could use that with the changing cosmic landscape. It would be interesting to see how his character bounces off the DC universe beyond the Corp for a while. However, I agree, when it's time for war John should always the first one they call.
    It'll be real interesting to see how Batman and John Stewart's relationship shapes up. I don't recall them having much of a relationship in John's prior stint on the League, nor was there much too it in the JL cartoon aside from Batman tsk-tsking John being a bit of a gung-ho hot head in the first season. The last significant interaction I remember between the two of them is John calling Batman out on his BS during GL: Rebirth. Batman's relationship with Hal has always been fun with them thanks to their radically different approaches. Batman viewed Kyle as just another Robin, but with a power ring. And Guy's rivalry with Batman is of course legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I also think if they are moving toward making the Guardians leads from on high again then it seems kinda redundant having a Lantern lead under them. However, it would be interesting to have distinguished corpsmen like Arisia, Salaak, Kilowog (and whoever isn't being used from Earth) serve as committee of some kind; like union management or a shadow council for the Corp.
    That's a great idea. Having Arisia, Salaak & Kilowog serving as the administrators of the GLCorps works for me. I don't want to read another Guardians are dodgy or out of touch storyline any time soon.