Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I agree. I think having Soranik try to turn her father's Corps into something better was an interesting one, but Venditti was juggling too many other things and trying to keep too many different kinds of fans happy to really do the concept justice.

If Soranik does return to the GLCorps, I'd rather she doesn't become yet another of Kyle's many, many girlfriends (or Hal's or John's for that matter). Nothing wrong with romance, but I find it a little tiresome that some of the most prominent female GL-centric characters tend to just get shoved in the ______'s girlfriend box and then nothing else is really done with them except to react to their male romantic interests or serve as a plot point that that male character has to save.

When I had to seriously think about which Jade stories would be a good place to start and my formidable nerd brain couldn't think of anything that didn't involve either Alan or Kyle or Jack Knight being primary star, that's a sign that these female characters need more agency. And I love Jade as a character. When I describe her to people who are curious about Green Lantern, she almost always gets the biggest reaction. There's so much potential there.

I think this is one of the things that works best about Jessica Cruz. Not only is she the living embodiment of Geoff John's entire concept of overcoming your fears, she has not yet been defined by a romantic relationship with a more prominent male superhero. Thankfully, the half-hearted attempts to create something between her and Baz, her and Barry and her and Batman have all died a swift death.

I have high hopes for Jessica in Justice League Odyssey. That title looks to be a great showcase for her.

Any word yet on where Guy & Baz are going to end up?

John's going to be the one of the main leads of Justice League, along with J'Onn & Hawkgirl.

Hal is headlining Morrison & Sharp's The Green Lantern.

Kyle's going to be taking over Nightwing's spot in Titans, reuniting him with Donna Troy.

And Jessica is in Justice League Odyssey as the GL of the Ghost Sector.

Guy's slated for a guest spot in Damage, serving as the League's GL (looks like DC's finally decided to go with the rotating GLs on the League idea. John's the main guy, but Hal, Guy, Jessica, Simon and Kyle are still League members who serve regularly on JL missions)

Simon had a cameo in JLO to chat with Jess.

With both Guy & Simon unaccounted for, that might mean that those two could be paired up as the resident Earth GLs that appear whenever the GLCorps show up. That's an odd pairing because, to my eyes at least, Guy & Simon are the most similar of the Earth GLs. They are both blue collar guys with a chip on their shoulder for the hard knocks the world has handed them. This strikes me as a similar situation that the late great Law & Order (the original, not SVU) found itself in when they tried to pair up the younger Detective Logan with older Detective Briscoe and then soon realized they were essentially the same character, but at different points in their lives and that made bouncing them off each other difficult. I suspect they might have the same problem with a Simon & Guy pairing.

However, I could be completely wrong and a Guy/Simon pairing will help further distinguish the two from each other.
    I was always down for a strong platonic friendship between Sora & John, but nothing further than that.

The rotating GL chair in the JL is wonderful. Each Earth GL is an oddball, and seeing them bounce off the other JL members sounds like fun.

I kinda miss Guy giving Superman the blues.

Extraordinary Member

I hope Grant's move to return the Guardians as benevolent little do-gooders is accepted throughout all the books moving forward.

John should step down as leader of the GLC. Hal & John leading should only have been temporary.

I'm sure another writer will want to use a different GL once Snyder finishes his run on Justice League.

I'd be down for a GLC: Honor Guard book featuring John, Guy, Sora, Arisia, Kilowog, Salaak, Simon (and a resurrected Kat) using the flavor of the late 80's run whose missions transcends sectors. I'd like to see Kat & Sora interact. If we can have multiple Earth GL's, then I see no reason for not having two ringslingers from Korugar.

I'd keep Hal in his solo book (and main JL member), Jessica in JLO, and Kyle in Titans. But those three should be frequent guest stars.

I'd also like to see either the Guardians say screw the non-interference in the Vega System, or some terrible event down there that bleeds into other areas under the protection of the GLC.

I would love it if Kyle and Guy starred in a mini that took place in the Vega system and followed up on King's "Omega Men." Throw Sora in there too so we can finally get the next chapter in her story with Kyle.

BANNED

I would love it if Kyle and Guy starred in a mini that took place in the Vega system and followed up on King's "Omega Men." Throw Sora in there too so we can finally get the next chapter in her story with Kyle.
    Agreed sora is my favourite kyle girlfriend and hopefully him being on titans won't have him and Donna together(hated that couple)and maybe have kyle and sora reunion in a new corps book with guy,kyle and baz

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

This is from the Hal Jordan thread, but I think this interview bring up a larger issue with the various GLs that's worth exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    Another article with Morrison tidbits

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-gr...mpression=true
    I could not be more excited about this series. There are aspects of Hal Jordan that rarely get touched on. Much as he did with his Batman run, I am glad that Morrison is looking to explore parts of Hal Jordan that go beyond cocksure the Chuck Yeager/Captain Kirk/Han Solo archetype. In trying to brush those quirks off during his wildly successful revamp of the GL franchise in 2004, I think Geoff Johns was also doing a disservice to Hal by limiting the depth of his character.

This has also plagued John Stewart, who often gets pigeonholed as the smart and righteous, but tragic, leader type, which ignores a lot of other, perhaps less flashy aspects of the character that were on full display in Mosaic. A lot of this is perhaps due to the Marine backstory that was added to him in the Justice League cartoon, which completely ignored his architectural background. Geoff Johns tried to merge the two, while also adding the very interesting wrinkle of John being a sniper, but the Geoff Johns's GL run was so preoccupied with Hal's emotional journey and the dozens of new concepts being introduced that there was little time to ever explore this new version of John. Van Jensen's New 52 tried to build from that new base, but his run was so frequently derailed by dumb crossovers, he couldn't build any momentum. Snyder seems to have used the Xanshi backstory to finally propel John Stewart into new territory. The most recent JL issue was a nice start.

Guy Gardner's surprising depth has been explored to great effect since GL: Rebirth to the point that many people who previously hated Guy are now big fans. That said, I think there's more there and I think seeing more of him alone with his longtime girlfriend Ice is the way to see it. I strongly suspect the Guy Gardner we see in front of his buddies in the Corps is very different from when it's just him and Ice with no one else around.

Kyle Rayner was already a bundle of quirks that guys like Ron Marz, Judd Winnick, Pete Tomasi and Robert Venditti explored to great effect, but there are parts of him I'd like to see picked at a little more, like Kyle's discovery of his hispanic background after believing he was Black Irish his entire life. Or Tom King's odd revelation of Kyle's never mentioned before Catholicism. I suppose dying and coming back to life, becoming the living embodiment of the combined Emotional Spectrum created by all living things, then getting your head chopped off by terrorists from the Vega System will do that to you

What do you think? What obscure aspects of the various GLs would you like to see explored more?
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 10-03-2018 at 09:42 PM.

Morrison talks about Hal's relationship with women so I hope Arisia gets some love here. I don't think they've had one significant scene together since she was brought back.

One of the great things about the old "Tales of the GLC" backup was that it showed us all these different alien cultures (Mogo, The Puffball Collective, F-Sharp Bell, Arkkis is a cannibal?!? etc...) I would love to see more of that again.

Looks like we'll have one more Lantern to appreciate -- TEEN LANTERN!
    https://www.cbr.com/bendis-curated-i...wonder-comics/

According to Newsarama, she's "a young woman who has hacked a Green Lantern power battery."

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Looks like we'll have one more Lantern to appreciate -- TEEN LANTERN!
    https://www.cbr.com/bendis-curated-i...wonder-comics/

According to Newsarama, she's "a young woman who has hacked a Green Lantern power battery."
    In before we get more complaints about too many Earth Lanterns .

We've also got that Asian teen Lantern for the DC Zoom book.

[Oprahvoice]And you get a ring, and you get a ring... everybody gets a riiiiiiiinnnggg!![/Oprahvoice]
    IMG_1533.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Ooooo, that's a good idea. The initial justification for the Alpha Lanterns was to serve as the GLCorps' internal affairs, but that was just another brick in Johns's larger "The Guardians are the real villains!" subplot.

Who should be in charge? Von Daggle might be nice, but I prefer him as the GLCorps's spy/Black Ops guy. Who has the temperament for that kind of job while also having enough respect and credibility within the Corps to be entrusted with investigating its own members?
    I think someone like Von Daggle is the type of character who you will need to fulfill that kind of role, due to his experience in that unit. Most people in the Corps aren't even aware of that unit. What makes John Stewart such a great leader is the hard decision he makes upon, regardless how controversial it can be. There's not a lot of characters who does not have that kind of temperament. A character like Guy Gardner could take over Von Daggle's position, because he knows what it's like already. Guy certainly was one of the first humans that became an honor guard in GLC: Recharge. Since Salaak has been an administrator and knows what goes on within the Corps, he could also be a candidate as well. Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I think someone like Von Daggle is the type of character who you will need to fulfill that kind of role, due to his experience in that unit. Most people in the Corps aren't even aware of that unit. What makes John Stewart such a great leader is the hard decision he makes upon, regardless how controversial it can be. There's not a lot of characters who does not have that kind of temperament. A character like Guy Gardner could take over Von Daggle's position, because he knows what it's like already. Guy certainly was one of the first humans that became an honor guard in GLC: Recharge. Since Salaak has been an administrator and knows what goes on within the Corps, he could also be a candidate as well. Just my thoughts.
    If the Guardians are going back to be more unknowingly, otherworldy altruistic again, I would guess the idea of a Black Ops part of the GLCorps will be a relic of the prior administration. Perhaps Von Daggle would be the best choice, along with Guy, who's worked with him in the past and certainly doesn't give a $#!+ if he ruffles any feathers of his fellow Lanterns or the Oans themselves.

...perhaps John will set something like this up without the Guardians knowledge before he steps down as GLCorps leader.

The concept of Teen Lantern sounds fantastic. I've always been happy that none of the main GLs of Earth ever had much time for endangering underage children by enlisting them as sidekicks. Doiby Dickles would certainly qualify as a sidekick, as would Tom Kalmaku to a certain extent, but they weren't regularly fighting alongside Alan & Hal in the same way that 8 year old Dick Grayson, protected by nothing more that a chainmail tunic, a bright yellow cape, pixie boots and short-shorts was with Batman. Wally West made some kind of sense to me, because he was given such extraordinary abilities that I viewed it as Barry training Waly to use his powers wisely and to help him learn about them--which is partly why Wally eventually taking over Barry's mantle was so fitting.

With GL, that idea never made much sense. However, the idea behind Teen Lantern of a precocious teenager hacking a GL power battery is a brilliant one with a lot of potential. Extra points for finally using someone who is not from America. As much as I appreciated what Johns was trying to do by bringing in the Muslim Baz & Latina Jessica into the fold, I think it was a frankly insulting idea to make them both Americans when literally every single GL chosen from Earth was already American.

Are we to understand that the ring-bearer selection function on the rings is region-locked? Come on...

Incredible Member

A human teenager can hack a GL power battery? Hell, they just made the Guardians more retarded than ever.

I've never liked the idea of a underage lantern. Which letter don't they understand about "corps"? What kind of people would send teenagers to war?
    Last edited by HAN9000; 10-04-2018 at 07:14 PM.

Extraordinary Member

The only Teen Lantern is Wally West.

Once upon a time, John Stewart was deemed too young to wield Abin's power ring, so Hal & Guy were the only contenders.