Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    The only Teen Lantern is Wally West.

Once upon a time, John Stewart was deemed too young to wield Abin's power ring, so Hal & Guy were the only contenders.
    Once AGAIN, this is PROOF that DC is disrespecting the LEGACY of Wally West and trying to TARNISH everything about him!!!!

Wake up people!!!! It's all connected! Dan Didio is the Anti-Christ and wants to FORCE FEED your children foil-embossed covers of your CHILDHOODS being BURNED by Dr. Light in a sexy Robin costume!!!!

*ahem*

Sorry 'bout that, I think I got some wires crossed in my Nerd Brain. I'm feeling much better now.

What were we talking about?

Seriously though, I would love see Wally West to show up in Teen Lantern to tease the new kid about stealing his old gig. That'd be a nice touch that old fans would love while also pointing newer fans in the direction of Waid & Kitson's classic The Brave & The Bold TPB.

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    I've never liked the idea of a underage lantern. Which letter don't they understand about "corps"? What kind of people would send teenagers to war?
    I'm kind of the opposite.

When dealing with leaders who measure years in the BILLIONS... ALLLLLL other sentients were generally treated as children who needed to follow orders and respect their elders. I find it more unbelievable that the rings would be programed to recognize the difference in 17 1/2 years old and 18 years old. It's the kind of antiquated thinking that the guardians should be long past. Not even counting the fact that 'underage' varies from region to regions... let alone planet to planet.

If the ring decides you're worthy, then you're worthy. Regardless of the laws of your geographic region...

That said, Arisia would have also counted as a 'Teen Lantern' when she was introduced.

On a separate note.. Anyone else dislike the way the rings automatically search out lanterns now? I liked it better when the GL would willingly pass it on as his last duty rather than Sallaak and Mogo taking the wheel.

In my current head canon, Mogo and Salaak have the base 'you can overcome great fear' requirement.... but Abin Sur and Tomar Re and the other silver age dead over ride it. THEY picked the requirements THEY felt would make the best replacements and sent them out before they died. Hence Hal being 'Honest and Fearless'... and people generally saying that Abin's replacement was just like him...
    Last edited by phantom1592; 10-04-2018 at 07:53 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I'm kind of the opposite.

When dealing with leaders who measure years in the BILLIONS... ALLLLLL other sentients were generally treated as children who needed to follow orders and respect their elders. I find it more unbelievable that the rings would be programed to recognize the difference in 17 1/2 years old and 18 years old. It's the kind of antiquated thinking that the guardians should be long past. Not even counting the fact that 'underage' varies from region to regions... let alone planet to planet.

If the ring decides you're worthy, then you're worthy. Regardless of the laws of your geographic region...

That said, Arisia would have also counted as a 'Teen Lantern' when she was introduced.

On a separate note.. Anyone else dislike the way the rings automatically search out lanterns now? I liked it better when the GL would willingly pass it on as his last duty rather than Sallaak and Mogo taking the wheel.

In my current head canon, Mogo and Salaak have the base 'you can overcome great fear' requirement.... but Abin Sur and Tomar Re and the other silver age dead over ride it. THEY picked the requirements THEY felt would make the best replacements and sent them out before they died. Hence Hal being 'Honest and Fearless'... and people generally saying that Abin's replacement was just like him...
    Not law of geographic region, the ring should be able to tell whether an individual has reached biological and mental maturity or not.
    There could be billions, trillions of intelligent lives in a section, and no one adult more worthy than a kid?
    I never liked Arisia as a teenager lantern either. I prefer Johns' more than 200 years old version.

Not law of geographic region, the ring should be able to tell whether an individual has reached biological and mental maturity or not.
    There could be billions, trillions of intelligent lives in a section, and no one adult more worthy than a kid?
    I never liked Arisia as a teenager lantern either. I prefer Johns' more than 200 years old version.

That's a tricky situation too.... Mental Maturity means Guy wouldn't have gotten a ring Kyle either for that matter. He didn't 'grow up' until the fridge incident... there IS something to be said for the guardians seeking out qualities that humans wouldn't recognize. Kids have more imagination. Their minds are more open to the impossible. They have more solid lines between 'right and wrong' without having that crushing compromise that adults have. Not to mention quicker reflexes... It's the kind of thing that I could easily see happening. Any average 12 year old... vs. a 40 year old accountant?? The 12 year old would probably make a better lantern.

Especially since the weapon is based on willpower and imagination and not physical strength. The guardians need flexible minds, not fully developed bodies...

Now, I see as many chances for this to end in disaster... but I still feel the theory would be sound, at least from a galactic standpoint.

And I agree about Arisia. I wasn't a fan of her teenage years either... but that was more about the love interest role than her child endangerment concept.

In the future, the GL is that teenage monk kid, Kai-Ro. Age is just a number I do wonder though, now that Johns has made it clear how physically taxing it is to create constructs, (Ollie said that he felt like he'd just run a marathon) if this new teen will find a way around it, or if they'll just ignore that.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    In the future, the GL is that teenage monk kid, Kai-Ro. Age is just a number I do wonder though, now that Johns has made it clear how physically taxing it is to create constructs, (Ollie said that he felt like he'd just run a marathon) if this new teen will find a way around it, or if they'll just ignore that.
    I hope they ignore it.

I found much better stories when you had to worry about supervillains or random rednecks getting your ring and having the most powerful weapon in the universe... Rather than 'I'm super special and it only works for me'...

The physically taxing thing was something new that Johns came up with that didn't fit 60 years worth of stories prior to it.

Incredible Member

That's a tricky situation too.... Mental Maturity means Guy wouldn't have gotten a ring Kyle either for that matter. He didn't 'grow up' until the fridge incident... there IS something to be said for the guardians seeking out qualities that humans wouldn't recognize. Kids have more imagination. Their minds are more open to the impossible. They have more solid lines between 'right and wrong' without having that crushing compromise that adults have. Not to mention quicker reflexes... It's the kind of thing that I could easily see happening. Any average 12 year old... vs. a 40 year old accountant?? The 12 year old would probably make a better lantern.

Especially since the weapon is based on willpower and imagination and not physical strength. The guardians need flexible minds, not fully developed bodies...

Now, I see as many chances for this to end in disaster... but I still feel the theory would be sound, at least from a galactic standpoint.

And I agree about Arisia. I wasn't a fan of her teenage years either... but that was more about the love interest role than her child endangerment concept.
    Guy got his ring when he was mentally healthy. Kyle wasn't chosen. And he didn't think himself worthy either. There were a ton of stories about him doubting himself.
    You're wrong about one thing. Green Lantern's power is not defined by imagination, but by will. Imagination only define what they construct. If the lantern's will power is not strong enough, an atom bomb he/she created could only has the power of fireworks. You think a 12 year old kid has the strongest will in a sector? I believe there are many more people left to choose besides a 40 year old accountant if they've not been through a massacre by manhunters.
    BTW, did you watch Ben Affleck's The Accountant? An accountant could fight, too.
    Last edited by HAN9000; 10-04-2018 at 08:48 PM.

Guy got his ring when he was mentally healthy.

Maybe originally, but then he had no ring. When he was 'rechosen' around 195-196 during crisis, he was quite solidly the braindamaged fool that people knew and loved.

Kyle wasn't chosen. And he didn't think himself worthy either. There were a ton of stories about him doubting himself.
    You're wrong about one thing. Green Lantern's power is not defined by imagination, but by will. Imagination only define what they construct. If the lantern's will power is not strong enough, an atom bomb he/she created could only have the power of fireworks.
    Agreed. However, in the books they always liked to push Kyle forward as being 'better than Hal' because of his Manga/anime imagination. I was always the one saying that a simple boxing glove is as powerful as a Voltron Mech if the Will is strong enough.

For some reason they love to focus on imagination though....

Although, in the silver age... it was stated repeatedly that the ring could do 'Anything it's weilder could imagine'. His will powered it and his imagination shaped it. Hence the abiltity to shrink like the atom, travel through time, pass through walls... and pretty much anything the writer wanted. A stronger imagination would be useful there.

You think a 12 year old kid has the strongest will in a sector? .
    Having been a Substitiute teacher for a few years... There are some CRAZY Stubborn and willful children out there ;P

Incredible Member

Maybe originally, but then he had no ring. When he was 'rechosen' around 195-196 during crisis, he was quite solidly the braindamaged fool that people knew and loved.

Agreed. However, in the books they always liked to push Kyle forward as being 'better than Hal' because of his Manga/anime imagination. I was always the one saying that a simple boxing glove is as powerful as a Voltron Mech if the Will is strong enough.

For some reason they love to focus on imagination though....

Although, in the silver age... it was stated repeatedly that the ring could do 'Anything it's weilder could imagine'. His will powered it and his imagination shaped it. Hence the abiltity to shrink like the atom, travel through time, pass through walls... and pretty much anything the writer wanted. A stronger imagination would be useful there.

Having been a Substitiute teacher for a few years... There are some CRAZY Stubborn and willful children out there ;P

Well, about Guy's situation, I've always consider the ring gives priority to the people chosen once. Since Kyle was "rechosen" a few times too.

And we both know that at 90s they would use any cause to push Kyle forward as being "better than Hal" even if Kyle was not a comic nerd.

The ring was TOO powerful in Silver Age. It's been weaken as it should. Besides, doesn't that mean the wielder should have enough willpower and mentality to support those use? Otherwise you could probably get a House of M event in DC.

I hope those CRAZY Stubborn and willful children will be chosen after they grow up.

Age doesn't bother me because there has to be several alien races out there that would be considered young or underage by their standards or something like that.

My issue is that it's some random teen supposedly hacking one of the most complex pieces of tech in the DCU. What the hell?
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    My issue is that it's some random teen supposedly hacking one of the most complex pieces of tech in the DCU. What the hell?
    Agree with that!!

I want to know which GL left his lantern unattended for this to happen too!!

Agree with that!!

I want to know which GL left his lantern unattended for this to happen too!!
    There's a better way to get a teen Lantern is all I'm saying. It would honestly be cooler if we followed like a teen alien or something instead of another Human Lantern.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    There's a better way to get a teen Lantern is all I'm saying. It would honestly be cooler if we followed like a teen alien or something instead of another Human Lantern.
    I miss Green Lantern Corps Quarterly.

Lots of Alien GL's with Lots of different stories... but no need to devote a whole series to them. Spread the spotlight around a bit and bask in the awesomeness.

Incredible Member

I have a feeling that Bendis wants to create another Riri in DC...
    Last edited by HAN9000; 10-05-2018 at 01:30 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Once AGAIN, this is PROOF that DC is disrespecting the LEGACY of Wally West and trying to TARNISH everything about him!!!!

Wake up people!!!! It's all connected! Dan Didio is the Anti-Christ and wants to FORCE FEED your children foil-embossed covers of your CHILDHOODS being BURNED by Dr. Light in a sexy Robin costume!!!!

*ahem*

Sorry 'bout that, I think I got some wires crossed in my Nerd Brain. I'm feeling much better now.

What were we talking about?

Seriously though, I would love see Wally West to show up in Teen Lantern to tease the new kid about stealing his old gig. That'd be a nice touch that old fans would love while also pointing newer fans in the direction of Waid & Kitson's classic The Brave & The Bold TPB.
    You know...after initially reading this post....I had to do a double check on the account behind the post....