Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    You know...after initially reading this post....I had to do a double check on the account behind the post....
    I'm here all week folks! Please remember to tip your waitresses!

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I found much better stories when you had to worry about supervillains or random rednecks getting your ring and having the most powerful weapon in the universe... Rather than 'I'm super special and it only works for me'...
    That part never worked for me and it makes less sense even now. A random redneck couldn't even work my phone without unlocking it. You would think the most powerful weapon in the universe would at least have safeguards.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    That part never worked for me and it makes less sense even now. A random redneck couldn't even work my phone without unlocking it. You would think the most powerful weapon in the universe would at least have safeguards.
    Maybe, but they never did.

Abin Sur handed Hal the ring and died. Kyle was handed the ring and Ganthet disappeared. No training, no instruction manual. If anything the technology was SOOOO advanced that anyone could use instinctively.

Incredible Member

I love that concept “I’m super special and it only worked for me” Why not? They’re superheroes. They are special and should have some quality we look up to.

Incredible Member

Maybe, but they never did.

Abin Sur handed Hal the ring and died. Kyle was handed the ring and Ganthet disappeared. No training, no instruction manual. If anything the technology was SOOOO advanced that anyone could use instinctively.
    Firstly we can see Hal under training in both Emerald Dawn and Secret Origin.
    Secondly the core concept of Kyle’s Green Lantern is quite different from the others’. They made Kyle the random guy hit the jackpot so that fans could self-insert him. They also changed a lot of things including the oath. I don’t think that matches today’s Green Lantern concept well.

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    I love that concept “I’m super special and it only worked for me” Why not? They’re superheroes. They are special and should have some quality we look up to.

I prefer to the qualities be something to aspire to. Be fearless. Be honest. Go to school, Exercise.. try to be like the heroes. I'm less impressed with people who are in some way genetically unique.

Not even counting that for basic storyline anatomy, I prefer heroes to have weaknesses to overcome and limitations that enemies can use against them. I was a HUGE fan of the yellow weakness, the time limit, what happens when an enemy gets your weapon and you're unarmed... I love those stories. When Kyle got the ring and they immediately killed the time limit and yellow... then later made the ring an 'only him and his descendents' thing that felt lame to me.

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    Firstly we can see Hal under training in both Emerald Dawn and Secret Origin.
    Secondly the core concept of Kyle’s Green Lantern is quite different from the others’. They made Kyle the random guy hit the jackpot so that fans could self-insert him. They also changed a lot of things including the oath. I don’t think that matches today’s Green Lantern concept well.
    Hal was trained later. When he first got the ring he started flying around making constructs before the corps and guardians intervened.

Incredible Member

I prefer to the qualities be something to aspire to. Be fearless. Be honest. Go to school, Exercise.. try to be like the heroes. I'm less impressed with people who are in some way genetically unique.
    I’m not saying these heroes are genetically unique. I mean they are unique because of their qualities. I’m just not a fan of “everyone can be a superhero if you got lucky”…

Hal was trained later. When he first got the ring he started flying around making constructs before the corps and guardians intervened.
    In Secret Origin Hal was taken to Oa as soon as he recharged. I think that’s more reasonable than the rough Silver Age plots.

Maybe, but they never did. [Have safeguards]
    They didn't start that way, but Johns was far from the first to tweak what the rings could or couldn't do, including the "reserve power" to only be used in life-threatening situations, being able to make non-green constructs, not being able to pull the ring off a GL's hand or a GL being able to mentally summon a ring back on his/her hand, etc. These ring features have all fluctuated over the years with nobody saying anything. Or you could just assume the ring updates its features (like your phone) once in awhile.

BANNED

These are my favourite lanterns couple

Kyle_and_Soranik.jpg

Extraordinary Member

You could have done a romantic comedy TV show or movie featuring John, Katma, Hal, & Arisia.

Two humans (with nothing in common) in love with two aliens (from two different worlds)....all under one roof.

BANNED

You can add kyle as the young guy who's great with the ladies like joey in friends LOL

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    You can add kyle as the young guy who's great with the ladies like joey in friends LOL
    I think Kyle would be the "baby-bro" with the revolving door of lady friends. Kat & Arisia would need a scorecard to remember the names of Kyle's guests. It would have been great to see Kat & Sora interact.

Guy & Ice could be the weird neighbors next door....what's that sweet woman doing with that obnoxious hothead (who leaves empty beer cans in his backyard)?

Then to create drama....when Kyle brings Sora over on football night....her big-head daddy unexpectedly shows up!

I think you'd also need Ch'p and Salaak as the bachelor "rommates" next door, who seem like such opposites but live together and only seem to hang out with each other...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I think you'd also need Ch'p and Salaak as the bachelor "rommates" next door, who seem like such opposites but live together and only seem to hang out with each other...
    We need to include them, too.

Kilowog would be the Fonzie of this feature. He comes in, does & says something really cool, then mysteriously leaves.

Maybe Kilowog is their Al more than Fonz (he looks more like Al than Arnold) - he runs the burger joint where they hang out and supplies comic relief.