West7869

Default I just recently inherited a LOT of comic books.I am completely lost please help

I have inherited over a 1,000 comics of all kinds and prices.10 cent,12,,15,,20,25,30,35,40,50,60,and up.I really need some help as what to do with these.Most are in protective plastic an cardboard sleeves.Over 1,000.I can post pictures if it would help.I have fighting Army,Marines,Navy,Air Force,Submarines,Superman,Batman,X Men,Hulk,Louis Lane,Thor,Dracula,From Beyond The Unkown,Conan,Atom an Blue Beetle,Wonder Woman,Werewolf By Night,and many many others.Please help me as I am lost as where to start.Thanks in advance.

Incredible Member

Do you know at this point whether you want to keep them or sell them? Are you located in a large metropolitan area? If so, you might be able to find a local comics shop who'd be willing to come and look at them and give you an appraisal of their value. Otherwise, you can sell them, either directly or on consignment, to one of the national retailers - mycomicshop.com or milehighcomics.com.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Quote Originally Posted by West7869 View Post
    I have inherited over a 1,000 comics of all kinds and prices.10 cent,12,,15,,20,25,30,35,40,50,60,and up.I really need some help as what to do with these.Most are in protective plastic an cardboard sleeves.Over 1,000.I can post pictures if it would help.I have fighting Army,Marines,Navy,Air Force,Submarines,Superman,Batman,X Men,Hulk,Louis Lane,Thor,Dracula,From Beyond The Unkown,Conan,Atom an Blue Beetle,Wonder Woman,Werewolf By Night,and many many others.Please help me as I am lost as where to start.Thanks in advance.
    Most comics published after 1990 aren't really worth anything, so the first step would be to create a spreadsheet with at least 5 columns: title, publisher, issue number, issue date, and cover price. This information can be found on the covers. It is also typically found in small print on the bottom of the first page of the comic. If the cover and the small print disagree, the small print (called the indicia) is usually seen as the "official" record of what particular issue you have. The only exception would be for company name. The company name shown on the comic cover (usually in the upper left corner) tends to be the name that most fans know the company as. For example, Lois Lane comics have a "DC" logo of some sort on the cover, but may say "National Comics" or "National Periodical Publications" in the small print inside. For the company name column of your spreadsheet, it's preferable to refer to those comics as "DC Comics."

The titles you mentioned "Army,Marines,Navy,Air Force,Submarines" sound like titles published by Charlton Comics. Their logo is in the upper left hand of the cover. The full titles are probably different than what you wrote. For example, "Army" is probably "Fightin' Army" or "Army Attack." You should know that, in general, Charlton Comics are in low demand, and therefore not worth very much, if anything. Only their superhero comics have high demand such as Captain Atom, Blue Beetle, E-Man, etc. Be careful as comics with those titles have been published by other companies after Charlton and are worth less than the Charltons.

Comics published by DC Comics or Marvel Comics would generally be in the highest demand, but again, it depends on the age and the particular issue. A comic that is considered a "key issue," because it features an important story or the first appearance of an important character, will be worth more than other issues in the series. A first issue of a series is generally worth more money than any other issue in the series except for certain high demand key issues.

Of the other titles you mentioned, Batman and X-Men might be the highest in demand.

A good way to check the market for how much a comic is worth is to look it up on ebay. So, if you have "Lois Lane #75," look up "Lois Lane 75" on ebay and see what the dealers are asking for it.

Also, it's very important to note that the price you can get for a comic is not only dependent upon its age and its status (number 1, key issue, etc.), but also what condition it's in. If your comics have been well protected and preserved with not a lot of damage or yellowing of the paper, you'll get more money.

As far as "what to do" with them, if you have patience and don't need to sell them right away, you'll get more money selling them yourself on ebay. If you go to a comic shop or dealer and they buy the lot outright, you'll likely get pennies on the dollar for them, so a good strategy might be to discover what key issues you have, sell those few yourself on ebay, and then sell the rest as a lot either on ebay per series or to a dealer for whatever you can get for them.

But the first step is definitely to make that spreadsheet that lists exactly what you have. A good resource to double-check yourself in terms of properly identifying comics is www.comics.org. It's called the Grand Comics Database, but it doesn't have info as to what they're worth. Use ebay for that. Another choice is the above-mentioned www.mycomicshop.com where you can look up a particular series, and also get prices for each issue that they're selling to give you a quick sense as to what issues are worth the bother to you to sell them yourself on ebay. You should know that mycomicshop won't pay you the same price that they're selling them for.

Lots of information in this post, I know, so feel free to ask questions.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 10-02-2018 at 12:36 PM.

Spectacular Member marvelmaniac6169's Avatar

Great Book For Reference, small investment for lots of info.

https://www.amazon.com/Overstreet-Co.../dp/1603602216

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Just send them all to me. Problem solved.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Just send them all to me. Problem solved.
    I don't think that is ever likely.

Spectacular Member marvelmaniac6169's Avatar

My suggestion would be to first organize the books by title and then each title in chronological order and give us a list of some of the books you have.

Sine you are new to this I would suggest you list the 10 cent and 12 cent covers first since they are the oldest and stand the best possibility of being more valuable than the other higher priced covers.

I also still stand by my original recommendation...

Fantastic Member

To the OP: It sounds like you have comics from all different eras, so it's evident that some of them are worth at least something.

However, I agree with the above that most comics published after 1990 are pretty much worthless, for the most part. In many cases, Marvel (and even DC to some extent) oversaturated the market with a ton of different publishing "gimmicks" (i.e. alternate covers, etc.) and though they may have been "valuable" when they were released, they're easy to find now. Also, since the paper that was being used from roughly 1990-on was of much better quality than most paper used earlier, it's not too difficult to find these comics in very good shape...conversely, older comics that are in decent shape are harder to track down due to the fact that the paper would yellow/deteriorate fairly easily.