Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Why I never see kids in Comic Book stores?

Adults have completely taken over comic books as the clear cut number one consumer.

Even kids are embarrassed to be seen in a comic store apparently.

I give comic books 10 more years toll they go extinct.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Whenever I see kids in a store it's always because their parents are into reading them so they get into it. Weird thing is I see kids talk about anime or manga a lot and not comics. They love the movies and cartoons though.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Kids have apps. They won't go out of their way to a comic book store when they can read free manga scan or webtoons online. A lot of popular anime is free on Crunchyroll. Then there's *************** where people upload whole scans of current comics.

Also, Youtube. People upload whole issues on youtube or do a detailed dramatical reading. The latter does inspire some to buy, though, since they don't post pictures.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Surprisingly, from the local comics shops I've been to, there are a surprising amount of kids who are there. Unfortunately, they mainly are only into the toys llcs sell. Which always struck me as odd. You would think they would be more attracted to a 2.99 comics or a 14.99 trade paperback than a 20 to 30 dollar toy.

The LCS structure is designed for middle-aged men. One of my issues with the business model. Its not as accessible to children as it used to be back in the days when a kid would go grocery shopping with their mom and see comics on the spinner rack/magazine shelves. Not saying that's the main answer for today either though. The answer today would be, as with most everything else these days, online. That's where the kids are today. Its not like comics aren't there, digital is obviously a thing. But they market it poorly, imo.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-02-2018 at 12:01 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Maybe the kids buy them in other places like bookstores?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Leopard View Post
    Adults have completely taken over comic books as the clear cut number one consumer.

This didn't JUSt happen. It's been that way for the last 20 years from my perspective.

The recent launch of comics at Walmart is what will connect the younger readers IF they don't want to pick them up online. But more likely they'd be reading them online.

There's no reason for them to care, they have apps tablets and phones.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The LCS structure is designed for middle-aged men. One of my issues with the business model. Its not as accessible to children as it used to be back in the days when a kid would go grocery shopping with their mom and see comics on the spinner rack/magazine shelves. Not saying that's the main answer for today either though. The answer today would be, as with most everything else these days, online. That's where the kids are today. Its not like comics aren't there, digital is obviously a thing. But they market it poorly, imo.
    This was the problem when I was younger, I always thought the LCS was for middle aged star wars/trek fans. I didn't grow out of it until I actually stepped foot in one.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Comics are $3.99. They were a buck when I started reading them. I could spend $30 a week on comics even in the early 2000's and get 15 or so books. Kids have too many other things competing for their money. As many have said, whole issues can be found on the internet for free, just like movies, and music. Ever notice the shrinking media section in retail stores?

Also I think kids are more trending towards digital consumption. I don't feel you "own" digital things myself. I have over 500 straight issues of Batman, if I had digital, it would not count. I can never sell those as part of my collection if I wanted too. But that's another topic.

Pop culture is way cooler than it was when I was growing up. So I don't think it's kids being embarrassed about it. My daughter reads comics and that got me back into comics after a sabatical.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    Maybe the kids buy them in other places like bookstores?
    Unless you're talking about the tpb collected versions, how many book stores are selling single-issue comic books these days? I think a majority of the publishers have given upon producing newsstand sales versions here in the U.S., though that may not be the case in other markets.

As to not seeing kids in comic book shops, does when you go to the shop and where it is located maybe make a difference?

The comic store that I go to often has kids.

Mind you, it's a really nice place, with no comics in bags and a "you can read as long as you don't sit on the floor" policy, lots of trades and, most importantly, comics that are aimed towards kids like Ghostopolis and Bone.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    most importantly, comics that are aimed towards kids
    I agree that this is an important point. When I was young, there were many comics aimed at young kids, including Super Friends. Comics today are almost all aimed at older audiences. Even Archie has a lot of adult themes in them.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    The comic store that I go to often has kids.

Mind you, it's a really nice place, with no comics in bags and a "you can read as long as you don't sit on the floor" policy, lots of trades and, most importantly, comics that are aimed towards kids like Ghostopolis and Bone.
    Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I agree that this is an important point. When I was young, there were many comics aimed at young kids, including Super Friends. Comics today are almost all aimed at older audiences. Even Archie has a lot of adult themes in them.
    Kids want to read what they think was cool. My 11 year old wants Harley Quinn and Deadpool. That's not to say she's a representation of all pre-teens, but she could care less about DC's kids line (does Marvel even have one?) She's mature for her age, but I still checked out the books before we let her read them every month. My 9 year old on the other hand enjoys My Little Pony Friendship is magic, but again, it's $4.99.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Leopard View Post

That is why it is dieing